Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are the Steelers the luckiest team ever?

They were certainly outplayed and still won. If not for that stupid interception before the end of the first half, the game goes to AZ. It also appeared they owned the zebras as well, picking up over 50 yards in penalties on one drive alone. Yes, most of the calls were legit, but you can call holding on nearly any play, and they weren't calling it much against Pittsburgh. When Fitzgerald scored the go-ahead TD, I knew it was too soon as there was over 2 minutes remaining, and my instincts were correct.

The Cardinals should have won this one. Period.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    They were certainly outplayed and still won. If not for that stupid interception before the end of the first half, the game goes to AZ. It also appeared they owned the zebras as well, picking up over 50 yards in penalties on one drive alone. Yes, most of the calls were legit, but you can call holding on nearly any play, and they weren't calling it much against Pittsburgh. When Fitzgerald scored the go-ahead TD, I knew it was too soon as there was over 2 minutes remaining, and my instincts were correct.

The Cardinals should have won this one. Period.
    Muckety muck muck Iggles muck no muckety muck good muckety muck muck muck...< sob >

...at least the Flyers looked good against a powerhouse Blues team.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Yes they are. I know this sounds like sour grapes, but save for one Super Bowl game, they have been the darlings of the officials in their entire post season history - the immaculate reception was the beginning. They had advanced to at least two other SBs via controversial, dubious officiating (against Denver and Houston) back in the '70s. And of course there's that Seahawks game. Yes, there was that Thanksgiving game against the Detroit Lions about ten years ago, where the refs screwed up the coin toss in overtime, but by and large, the Steelers seem to get the calls, or non-calls, when it benfits them most. And they do seem to get the lucky bounces as well. Its the third Super Bowl in which they were out played and still came out on top, but if AZ comes up with just one stop on Pittsburg's last drive.... I knew AZ scored too soon as well. If any team was going to be lucky enough to do it, its Pittsburg.

Yes, that interception at the end of the first half was flukey, but it was a well designed defensive scheme, and it fooled Warner. Its boneheaded plays like this that gave the Cardinals their 9-7 regular season record, and its plays like this that keeps doubts about Warner alive.

The Cardinals played much better than that against better teams in the playoffs, but then again, this is the same team that got blown out of 4 or 5 games this year. They did at least give Pittsburg all they could handle, and stayed in the game when it started to look hopeless, when they usually folded like a cheap tent in the regular season. Put AZ in any other division this year and they don't even make the playoffs. They barely won their own pathetic division, and they got beat by nearly every decent team they played against this year, save for the playoffs.

It was at least, an entertaining Super Bowl. The halftime show was vintage Springsteen, and I do mean vintage...boy did he and the E-St Band look old. I'd love to see an act that was more vital, more modern and relevent, but if it isn't someone like the Stones or Springsteen, its going to be someone like Aguillera, Spears or Beyonce and the like, or worse yet, the Jonas Bros or some American Idol act. It will never be someone like Modest Mouse or Wilco. Its just a matter of time until these '70s/'80s AOR acts are too old to perform. I'm sure we'll start seeing country acts pretty soon.

PS - I wonder how much Springsteen got payed for his Disneyland shout out, considering he's sooo blue collar and anti-corporate
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 02-02-2009 at 04:18 AM.

I didn't watch the half-time show.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Yes they are. I know this sounds like sour grapes, but save for one Super Bowl game, they have been the darlings of the officials in their entire post season history - the immaculate reception was the beginning. They had advanced to at least two other SBs via controversial, dubious officiating (against Denver and Houston) back in the '70s. And of course there's that Seahawks game. Yes, there was that Thanksgiving game against the Detroit Lions about ten years ago, where the refs screwed up the coin toss in overtime, but by and large, the Steelers seem to get the calls, or non-calls, when it benfits them most. And they do seem to get the lucky bounces as well. Its the third Super Bowl in which they were out played and still came out on top, but if AZ comes up with just one stop on Pittsburg's last drive.... I knew AZ scored too soon as well. If any team was going to be lucky enough to do it, its Pittsburg.

Yes, that interception at the end of the first half was flukey, but it was a well designed defensive scheme, and it fooled Warner. Its boneheaded plays like this that gave the Cardinals their 9-7 regular season record, and its plays like this that keeps doubts about Warner alive.

The Cardinals played much better than that against better teams in the playoffs, but then again, this is the same team that got blown out of 4 or 5 games this year. They did at least give Pittsburg all they could handle, and stayed in the game when it started to look hopeless, when they usually folded like a cheap tent in the regular season. Put AZ in any other division this year and they don't even make the playoffs. They barely won their own pathetic division, and they got beat by nearly every decent team they played against this year, save for the playoffs.

It was at least, an entertaining Super Bowl. The halftime show was vintage Springsteen, and I do mean vintage...boy did he and the E-St Band look old. I'd love to see an act that was more vital, more modern and relevent, but if it isn't someone like the Stones or Springsteen, its going to be someone like Aguillera, Spears or Beyonce and the like, or worse yet, the Jonas Bros or some American Idol act. It will never be someone like Modest Mouse or Wilco. Its just a matter of time until these '70s/'80s AOR acts are too old to perform. I'm sure we'll start seeing country acts pretty soon.

PS - I wonder how much Springsteen got payed for his Disneyland shout out, considering he's sooo blue collar and anti-corporate
    Springsteen is so off-putting to me at this point, that I avoid him like the plague.

I'm not saying the INT and 100 return wasn't a great defensive play, just that it was the least likely outcome of a team having a first and goal at the one or whatever. You can pretty much mark it up as a TD or a FG at the very least. Turnovers do happen in the red zone, but to be returned for a TD with no time left on the clock? Gimme a break!

The Cards, as I mentioned, outplayed the Steelers (400+ net yards versus about 300 yards), and they even had a better rushing attack if you can believe it, although neither team ran very well.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Hey, I forgot to mention that you....

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...at least the Flyers looked good against a powerhouse Blues team.
    ...can bite me!

and why oh why did the Cardinals take so long to go to the no-huddle, and then not stick with the no-huddle when it was working so well form them. They are built for that style of offense, Warner thrives in it, and a team like Pittsburg, whose defense relies on situational substitution, can look rather mediocre against it. In that last AZ drive of the first half, they used it, with great success, and then Pittsburg called a time out. Warner shoulda known that the Steelers were going to show one thing and do another...it was a bush league mistake on Warner's part.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Pittsburgh got lucky for sure...but I just don't care enough to complain about it.

Honestly, the Cards should have been in a position to withstand a few big unlucky plays, but instead they contributed to them happening so I guess they engineered their own demise. But they covered so yaaayy.

Take away the stats - it wasn't like one team really outplayed the other. I never got the sense that Arizona was a real threat to win until Fitzgerald's TD, and pretty much everyone at our party looked at the clock and just accepted that Pittsburgh was at least sending it to OT with the time that was left. It felt like it was Pittsburgh's game all night.

Wonder what the Cardinals were wearing for cleats, a lot of DB's lost their footing it seemed.

Madden has got to go.

Madden has annoyed me for years...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Pittsburgh got lucky for sure...but I just don't care enough to complain about it.

Honestly, the Cards should have been in a position to withstand a few big unlucky plays, but instead they contributed to them happening so I guess they engineered their own demise. But they covered so yaaayy.

Take away the stats - it wasn't like one team really outplayed the other. I never got the sense that Arizona was a real threat to win until Fitzgerald's TD, and pretty much everyone at our party looked at the clock and just accepted that Pittsburgh was at least sending it to OT with the time that was left. It felt like it was Pittsburgh's game all night.

Wonder what the Cardinals were wearing for cleats, a lot of DB's lost their footing it seemed.

Madden has got to go.
    ...but my complaints about him usually fall on deaf ears. He repeats himself over and over and treats the viewers as though they/we know nothing about football. The only announcer worse than him is Brent Musberger. Every time he says 'folks' I want to lunge at the TV screen.

...but my complaints about him usually fall on deaf ears. He repeats himself over and over and treats the viewers as though they/we know nothing about football. The only announcer worse than him is Brent Musberger. Every time he says 'folks' I want to lunge at the TV screen.
    I can put up with Brent, but Madden has got to go. For years he's been telling us things like, "This is the perfect down to run it up the middle. If they do anything other than run it up the middle then they don't know football." (they run it up the middle for no gain) "I knew they should have thrown the ball. See this? BAM! That means the receiver is going to be in man-to-man coverage and will be open. etc etc etc...." FRICKIN' JERK!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

Madden has got to go.
    I saw that too, and wondered why they couldn't keep their feet under them. Saw both running backs slip as well.

As for Madden, I'm niether here nor there, but who's better? Not that many of them are great and all are full of cliches. And I want to know who the hell thinks we need to hear anything Matt Millen has to say. He was a poor man's Madden when he was a color commentator, and he was a joke as GM. What's NBC thinking?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Well then you need to kick those guys in the nuts. He rambles on incoherrently about the most obvious observations.

This guy is epic stupid at times. I think he's just old and losing his faculties so I'll cut him some slack as a human being, but as a broadcaster he's retarded.

One play this year he was talking about some player who wore glasses and said "now here's a guy that wears glasses, and you have to understand - he wears them so he can see better". He said it like he was cracking the Da Vinci Code or something for us.

NO ****! Why else would he wear them? To look European?

Some other favs of mine...

"When you lose your best cornerback and your punt returner, I'd say that's a double loss."

"The team that scores more points than the other team usually wins."

I can save NBC hundreds of thousands by saying more profound and interesting things for a mere half of his pay...

Y'know...the Cardinals got conservative, the way teams do. They brought the pressure and it worked. On the last drive, they played it conservative...trying not to give up the big play. You gotta dance with them what brung you.

Are the Steelers the luckiest team ever?

Yes. There is no god.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...can bite me!
    I would imagine you'll be saying that again around Cup time...or maybe several weeks before.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

jvc
    Lucky doesn't win the Super Bowl for you six times....................

Quote Originally Posted by jvc
    Sorry, too many questionable calls and fluke plays, in the last 2 SBs, especially.

How do you win 6 superbowels with lackluster sad sacks like Bradshaw and Ben R throwing for you? Luck, baby, luck.

And yeah, Madden is beyond done for me too. He's a parody of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by jvc
    Lucky won them 2 of 6. In the first 4 they were just good.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Like I stated earlier, dubious officiating got them into two AFC title games. Besides the immaculate reseption (which only lead to an AFC appearence), they shoulda lost to the Oilers in the 1980 AFC Championship - as per Wiki:
    With the Steelers leading 17-10, the controversial play occurred during the last seconds of the third quarter after the Oilers advanced to the Pittsburgh 6-yard line. Quarterback Dan Pastorini threw a pass to Mike Renfro at the back of the end zone, and Renfro appeared to have caught it for a touchdown with both feet in bounds before he fell out of the end zone. However, the officials ruled the pass incomplete, saying that he did not have complete control of the ball before going out of bounds. The Houston Oilers then had to settle for a 23-yard field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Like I stated earlier, dubious officiating got them into two AFC title games. Besides the immaculate reseption (which only lead to an AFC appearence), they shoulda lost to the Oilers in the 1980 AFC Championship - as per Wiki:
    With the Steelers leading 17-10, the controversial play occurred during the last seconds of the third quarter after the Oilers advanced to the Pittsburgh 6-yard line. Quarterback Dan Pastorini threw a pass to Mike Renfro at the back of the end zone, and Renfro appeared to have caught it for a touchdown with both feet in bounds before he fell out of the end zone. However, the officials ruled the pass incomplete, saying that he did not have complete control of the ball before going out of bounds. The Houston Oilers then had to settle for a 23-yard field goal.
    That quote doesn't tell me the Steelers should've lost. It tells me the Oilers didn't quite get it done.

That quote doesn't tell me the Steelers should've lost. It tells me the Oilers didn't quite get it done.
    It illustrates a bias in favor of the Steelers that's been there since the '70s. It existed for Dallas as well. In order to beat either of these teams, especially in the post season, you had to beat them by a wide margin, because if it was close, they'd most likely have the favorable ofiiciating down the stretch. The Steelers have certainly put talented players on the field throughout the last few decades, but since watching them as kid, I've envied the officiating they seem to enjoy in big games.

I saw the game but I don't remember it. I come from a family of Oilers fans. I'll have to ask the old-timers in the family about that play. Come to think of it...I'm sure I know what they'll have to say.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 02-03-2009 at 05:44 AM.

Don't kid yourself. They were lucky in a couple of those first 4 as well.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Don't kid yourself. They were lucky in a couple of those first 4 as well.
    Looks like I'm outnumbered. You can go back through the big games and find lucky breaks for all the great teams, though. Luck or not, the Steelers put on an fairly impressive display in the 70's.

That game (and play, specifically) is often cited as the reason instant replay was finally implemented, years later.

Hey, kex, do ya think Musberger and the last prez are kin?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information