Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The Cowboys aren't what they used to be

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    If there's any bitterness though, it should be against that sorry bunch that J.J. amassed in Texas. I just can't respect a team that would willingly pick up T.O., especially after what he did in Philly, Tank Johnson, and Pacman Jones. Sometimes you get what you deserve. As I've stated, I hate the Cowboys, but I used to respect them as a team because they did it the right way. Now? I hope they continue their streak of lameness.
    I grew up a Cowboys fan in the Landry/Schramm era. I'm a bit of a nostalgic good-old-days fan. I even collect a little bit of NFL memorabilia from those days. My interest comes and goes in the Jones era, largely because I don't care for the personalities and the soap opera. It's still the same town and same uniform, so I'll root for them on game day...assuming I watch. Truth be told, I didn't actually see the game against Philly. I probably saw about 4 games, this year, which has been roughly the average for me over the last decade. I've started to enjoy watching AFC games and probably saw this year's Colts and Steelers as much as the Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Sports reporters say Jerry Jones released him due to a lackluster performance, especially against the Eagles last month.
    There is a clause in Pacman's contract, a sort of escape clause for Dallas, stating that Dallas gets to retain one of the draft picks it gave Tennessee in the trade, if Pacman gets into any trouble following the trade (I think up to one whole season) and of course, that has already happened. So Jones will let Pacman go after this latest news, because Pacman didn't perform well this year, but blame it on off-field issues.

Jones is trying desperately to prove that Dallas' success in the '90s was a product of his football prowess, and not Jimmy Johnson's. And that ego permiates every aspect of the Cowboys. I really don't think Jones can ever experience any real success because he has an acute case of Al Davisitis, and he can't stop interfering with his coaches, and he can't resist big-ticket draw trouble makers like Owen and Pacman.

See Rich...

I told you not to jump ship. What a difference a month makes! I'm rootin' for the Eggles only cause my son's a big fan AND McNabb went to my alma mater, Syracuse U. If McNabb doesn't win the superbowl, Philly fans will blame him and run him out of town, they will then spend the next 10 years wishin' they had him back.

Other than that, I've no horse in this race. The Cards scare the hell out of me though but history has proven that Defence wins championships, just ask Ray Lewis and the Ravens. Their defence embarrased the Giants in that superbowl and except for one special teams TD shut them down completely. Still this has been a great playoff thus far and the Ravens Steelers is gonna be one helluva donnybrook.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    If McNabb doesn't win the superbowl, Philly fans will blame him and run him out of town, they will then spend the next 10 years wishin' they had him back.
    Yep. I know McNabb's gaffs in recent playoff games infuriate Philly fans, but I still say McNabb is an elite QB and if he had the the level of talent surrounding him that Troy Aikman and Steve Young had, he'd be a first ballot HoF candidate (both of those guys are in the HoF). Hell, if you compare McNabb to Bret Favre and Peyton Manning, you'd have to admit that for all their numbers, those guys certainly have lack-luster playoff careers. McNabb might not have single season stats like those guys, but he's done well with what he's had, and that is far less than the reciever corps that other QB's have enjoyed. You think Steve Young makes it to the HoF, (or a Superbowl for that matter) if he stayed in Tampa Bay? He's merely another Steve DeBerg if he lands anywhere else but SanFran.

Well, McNabb will make the Hall for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Yep. I know McNabb's gaffs in recent playoff games infuriate Philly fans, but I still say McNabb is an elite QB and if he had the the level of talent surrounding him that Troy Aikman and Steve Young had, he'd be a first ballot HoF candidate (both of those guys are in the HoF). Hell, if you compare McNabb to Bret Favre and Peyton Manning, you'd have to admit that for all their numbers, those guys certainly have lack-luster playoff careers. McNabb might not have single season stats like those guys, but he's done well with what he's had, and that is far less than the reciever corps that other QB's have enjoyed. You think Steve Young makes it to the HoF, (or a Superbowl for that matter) if he stayed in Tampa Bay? He's merely another Steve DeBerg if he lands anywhere else but SanFran.
    ...and you don't need a Super Bowl ring to do. You may be right that it won't be in the first year, but he'll get in for sure. I do that you need to be surrounded by talent or it won't matter how good you are. Look at how Jeff Garcia struggled once he left San Fran. His best year there was in 2000 with 97.6, and his passer rating dropped every year, and as low as 76 in Cleveland and an even lower 65 in Detroit, until he got to Philly where it rose to 95.8, because he actually had an offensive line and receivers who could catch the ball. Plus he was back in a West Coast offense.

I know there are many great running backs whose careers were ruined because they were on teams with inferior lines. Many.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

One's chances of induction into the HoF are greatly enhanced by team success. Look at how many Steelers from the 1970's are in. I've always admired Donovan as a player, going back to his college days. I say he belongs in. Given the NFC East connection I'd usually be rooting for him this week, but I still like the Cards from their days in the division and I've long wanted to see them do well.

Suspended

The question bears repeating, but...

...only from the casual observer's POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    SO, which Eagles team is going to show up this time? Or more specifically, which McNabb is going to show up... this time? If I see him upchucking during the game like he used to do a few years ago, it probably won't be a good sign.
    If I see him on the opposing sidelines talking on the phone, well...

Suspended
    "Second verse, same as the first..."

Maybe next year.
    Maybe next year.

Call me in 5 years...

Well, with two 9-win teams in the title game, you had to wonder whose wheels were coming off first, and for a while it looked like Philly, but they deserve props for gutting it out and making a game of it. Even though the Cards finally figured out a way to win a close game, I'm not so sure the Cards deserve to win, after blowing an 18 point halftime lead. And I hate that Philly's last drive came down to a questionable non-call. I'm not so sure that it was pass interference, but there was contact, and I wished it wasn't so close. I'm sure McNabb will get blamed, but it wasn't his fault. You can't spot the opposing team an 18 point haltime lead, even if its the Cardinals.

This game doesn't bode well for Arizona's chances for a superbowl win. Once again, Warner gets his cage rattled, and he unravels. Having Warner as a QB is like living in a trailer home in Tennessee or Mississippi. They're quite nice, as pretty as most houses, until a tornado comes around. Then it gets ugly, fast. When a tornado hits your trailer-house, its not a matter of how much damage there'll be, but how far from the the trailer they find your remains. Then people wonder why anyone would live in a trailer, and everyone thinks you're stupid that you did.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

so who's the qb for the eagles?

don henley?

and the cowboys? margot timmons?
    ...regards...tr

I see a big shake up for many NFL teams this off season. I know. Not hard to see sense it's already started. More to come though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information