New Spock's Beard CD out this week....

...SO GO BUY IT!

Seriously though...new Beard...great stuff

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up.

I ain't heard good stuff bout this one...heard it wasn't as good as FE. Of course I like FE mo better than Octane. I'm a fanboy so I may have to get it anyway.

They're all dorks you know.

Forum Regular
    Get the new TFK dvd set, it's killer.

So is the new Galahad dvd, it'll blow ya'll away.

Dave

I'm really liking it so far, but I haven't seriously listened to it yet. I usually let stuff like this play in the background a few times then I'll sit down with it. But a few tracks grabbed me right away.

I'm a fanboy dork myself...and Octane is probably my favorite SB album

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I ain't heard good stuff bout this one...heard it wasn't as good as FE. Of course I like FE mo better than Octane. I'm a fanboy so I may have to get it anyway.

They're all dorks you know.
    I bought it, and if this band's influence and fortunes mirror Genesis at times, then this is the band's And Then There Were Three, and that's not a compliment. Yes, the musicianship is compitent, as expected, but the writing is uninspired. Whereas the other two Morseless album had some shortcomings, there are songs on both of those albums that I liked a lot right outta da box. Not so this time. Maybe this will grow on me...but really, I was pleasantly surprised by both Octane and Feel Euphoria, and I just feel let down by this one.

I was right...they're dorks.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I liked ...And Then There Were Three....
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I liked this album. Maybe not as much as Octane, but it's not bad at all. Much better than the criticisms I've read. I found the writing right from the start to be solid throughout. Though I can't help but be reminded of IQ a bit at a few points (but that's not such a bad thing here).
    I actually like the Morseless version of SB better. Though I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of either version of Spock's Beard. Snow and V were okay, but Morse really didn't do anything for me at all. I think most old SB fans don't like the new stuff. Maybe vice-versa.
    These might as well be 2 different bands now.
    This isn't going to change the way we listen to music, but it's a very good disc worth grabbing.

Its not that I think that the writing isn't compitent, its just mediocre at times, and the melodies are a tad forced. There are some good tunes on this album, but NDV just doesn't have the pipes to pull it off. Someone on another website suggested that the style was Deep Purple-ish. I don't know if I'd go that far, but some of the songs beg for a more charismatic lead singer, given the style of the sound they seem to be striving for...no, this isn't your father's Spock's Beard.

I'll live with it. Genesis had to make 3 so-so albums (post-Gabriel) before they came out with Duke, so maybe the fourth time will be the charm.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Its not that I think that the writing isn't compitent, its just mediocre at times, and the melodies are a tad forced.
    Mediocre at times sure. Most albums are. Forced melodies? I don't get that at all, though, there's some songs that are more rhythm based, but it works. I like Nick D'Virgilio's vocals. I think he's actually getting better with each album, too.

The only thing that bothers me about this album is there isn't any one songs that really stand out in my mind. It sort of maintains roughly the same momentum. Good, but not exceptional. But that's been the signature of Spock's Beard since day 1.

I'll live with it. Genesis had to make 3 so-so albums (post-Gabriel) before they came out with Duke, so maybe the fourth time will be the charm.
    Heh heh, did you just compare these guys to Genesis?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Heh heh, did you just compare these guys to Genesis?
    Yeah, I did, though I never did find Spock's Beard to be that derrivative at all. But you know, lead singer/songwriter leaves band and drummer takes over vox...you know.

There are things NDV does well, then there are things he only does so-so. Like I said before, all of the Morse-less albums are hit and miss for me, but FE and Octane had sone great songs on them, some so-so songs, and some not so good. This latest one has more so-so, and like you said, none that stand out. But what's a few bones ($13.99) for a band you like.

Okay, I change my mind. The more I listen to this disc, the better it gets. One of those CD's that grows on ya. That's a first for an SB CD for m.e It's better than Octane from start to finish. There are some killer tunes - they're just a bit hidden because they're not stompin' rockers, but rather it's the mid-tempo and especially, the slower ditties that stand out:

1) On A Perfect Day - 7 minutes of awesomeness. Great first track.
    4) All That's Left - Great melody
    5) With Your Kiss - long song, but the last half is good
    7) The Slow Crash Landing Man - Wicked and Awesome
    10-14) As far as the Mind Can See - 17 minutes great stuff.

This is definitely top 5 for me in 2006, which was admittedly a sub par year I think...Anyway, this is my last plug...definitely grab this one.

Started Slow...

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    ...SO GO BUY IT!

Seriously though...new Beard...great stuff
    This one started slow for me, and I a tended to agree with the mostly negative reviews from DPRP.

But after spinning it now for two or three weeks, there's only one song that I really don't care for (Track 3 I think).

I think it's a pretty good album to my ears, but I'm not a huge fan of the new SB as compared to the first five albums of the old Beard (I hated Snow). The post Morse band does, however, appear to improve on each album.

What I think they are lacking is the musical vision of Neal Morse and how to combine the prog elements to create instant classics. That's not really a criticism, more like an observation, because there are few musicians that have that kind of creative ability.

Thread Information