THC no THD!

TOOL Time with A Perfect Circle, starring

Maynard James Keenan... But seriously, if someone asked you to explain the differences between TOOL and APC, or better yet, the old college essay question, "compare and contrast" TOOL with A Perfect Circle, how might you answer? And do you think they belong to the same genre, and what are those genres? Also, are they solid, are they here to stay, can they keep producing the same caliber of material, and for how long etc? Like that...

Tanks!

I'll give it a go...

Quote Originally Posted by J*E*Cole
    if someone asked you to explain the differences between TOOL and APC, or better yet, the old college essay question, "compare and contrast" TOOL with A Perfect Circle, how might you answer?
    I think they're both related to the metal genre perse': tooL is a band that played very dark, edgy material (not unlike goth) at first and then started to morph into a prog-metal band on their last album; APC is a more straight-forward, alternative-rock approach (the style of music that was once termed as "alternative" has been around for 15 years now, so just how alternative is "alternative"?).

Besides, a wise man once said, "Genres are for sissies".

Quote Originally Posted by J*E*Cole
    Also, are they solid, are they here to stay, can they keep producing the same caliber of material, and for how long etc?
    Neither group has been what I'd call prolific: tooL produced only 3 albums over an 8 year span and their last album as a group was released in 2001; Maynard Keenan seemed to have ditched tooL for his next project-->APC's last release, a 'covers' album, doesn't exactly smack of the same creativity that spawned the first two albums...I think a band is better off dwelling in obscurity for a while, and letting the rumors fly about 'creative dry spells', than to put out a 'covers' album and remove all doubt.

So to answer your last question, "how long can they continue to keep producing the same calibre of material?". That seemed to have come to a screeching halt about 2 years ago.

THC no THD!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I think they're both related to the metal genre perse': tooL is a band that played very dark, edgy material (not unlike goth) at first and then started to morph into a prog-metal band on their last album; APC is a more straight-forward, alternative-rock approach (the style of music that was once termed as "alternative" has been around for 15 years now, so just how alternative is "alternative"?).

Besides, a wise man once said, "Genres are for sissies".

Neither group has been what I'd call prolific: tooL produced only 3 albums over an 8 year span and their last album as a group was released in 2001; Maynard Keenan seemed to have ditched tooL for his next project-->APC's last release, a 'covers' album, doesn't exactly smack of the same creativity that spawned the first two albums...I think a band is better off dwelling in obscurity for a while, and letting the rumors fly about 'creative dry spells', than to put out a 'covers' album and remove all doubt.

So to answer your last question, "how long can they continue to keep producing the same calibre of material?". That seemed to have come to a screeching halt about 2 years ago.
    Well that last paragraph is kinda the answer I knew was right, but wish it wasn't.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think 3lb's description of the compare/contrast is pretty spot on.

I disagree that the covers album was uncreative -- I loved that album. Every single song was a completely different version.

I also think that it needs to be treated differently -- don't treat it as an album "proper", it was more of a "Christmas present" than anything else. Sort of like Deftones' recent b-sides/rarities compilation.

I bet their next album will be slamming.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Little OT, but I saw APC in concert about a year ago in New Orleans.

Maynard went on a rant about politics, complaining about Schwarzenegger's governorship in California. He was like "I can't believe the people elected this guy, just because he's a celebrity. It would be like if you guys voted for Mystikal for governor of Lousiana".

Forum Regular
    Yes they can and will continue to produce stunning music. Regardless of your take on the newer direction Tool took with Lateralus, the album was a musical masterpiece with power, grace, texture, contrast and so on. Really it was stellar.

I love that they don't just release music for the sake of getting an album out, they wait until they have a body of music worth producing. That to me is far better than putting out sub-standard releases just to stay current and in the scene. I doubt Maynard has ditched Tool, if you listen to Lateralus you know they still click as musicians and the fact that they spend time apart is good, not bad. It was 6 years between their last two albums, I may have hated the wait, but from where I sit, it was well worth it.

Forum Regular

Tool is still together

They are in the studio right now finishing up their next album due out in mid 2006.

I couldnt agree with you more Grudge. I'll be more than happy to wait 5 or 6 years for a masterpiece.

QUOTE=The Grudge]Yes they can and will continue to produce stunning music. Regardless of your take on the newer direction Tool took with Lateralus, the album was a musical masterpiece with power, grace, texture, contrast and so on. Really it was stellar.

I love that they don't just release music for the sake of getting an album out, they wait until they have a body of music worth producing. That to me is far better than putting out sub-standard releases just to stay current and in the scene. I doubt Maynard has ditched Tool, if you listen to Lateralus you know they still click as musicians and the fact that they spend time apart is good, not bad. It was 6 years between their last two albums, I may have hated the wait, but from where I sit, it was well worth it.

[/QUOTE]

I look forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    They are in the studio right now finishing up their next album due out in mid 2006.
    That's good news. I hope they've stayed the course with the prog style deployed on Lateralus. If only they hired a keyboard player like Opeth did.

Considering I just discovered tooL in the last few weeks, you wouldn't think I'd be clammering for a new album already, and yet, I clammer.

See how I am?

Forum Regular

Nooooooooo!!!!

The last thing Tool needs is a keyboard player. Nothing is broke, so no need to try to fix things.

You really think Lateralus has a prog style to it?

That's good news. I hope they've stayed the course with the prog style deployed on Lateralus. If only they hired a keyboard player like Opeth did.

Considering I just discovered tooL in the last few weeks, you wouldn't think I'd be clammering for a new album already, and yet, I clammer.

See how I am?

The Collector
    Out of the 5 albums they released there more progressive music wasnt on Lateralus it was on Aenima. Progressive music involve time signature changes and constand tempo changes where on Lateralus it was a very articulate but straight forward album.

The difference between the two bands is huge, and meant to be. Look at the APC line up. The musicians were hand picked like that for a reason because they all have a very different style about them and it was able to be pulled together to become one of the most dynamic rock bands in history.

THC no THD!
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    Out of the 5 albums they released there more progressive music wasnt on Lateralus it was on Aenima. Progressive music involve time signature changes and constand tempo changes where on Lateralus it was a very articulate but straight forward album.

The difference between the two bands is huge, and meant to be. Look at the APC line up. The musicians were hand picked like that for a reason because they all have a very different style about them and it was able to be pulled together to become one of the most dynamic rock bands in history.
    So if you utilize time signature and constant tempo changes, then you are a progressive band? Is it just that simple? I'm asking because I don't know.

I thought Lateralus did utilize time signature changes, I was sure I heard Maynard talking about it on some music program, and I was sure I heard them on among others, Schism.

The Collector
    More or less that is the basis of a progressive band. It give the music a feel of movement.

I knew that would get a response

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    The last thing Tool needs is a keyboard player. Nothing is broke, so no need to try to fix things.

You really think Lateralus has a prog style to it?

Yes, I do think Lateralus does have prog aestetic to it, I think even more so than
    Aenima, but that is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. But no, they're not quite ready for Nearfest yet.

Maybe they should get that guy from Ayreon to play keys for them and give them a real Dream Theater sound.

Forum Regular

Lol!

too funny!

Yes, I do think Lateralus does have prog aestetic to it, I think even more so than
    Aenima, but that is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. But no, they're not quite ready for Nearfest yet.

Maybe they should get that guy from Ayreon to play keys for them and give them a real Dream Theater sound.

Forum Regular
    Totally agree about Lateralus being different than previous albums, that said different isn't less complex. In fact simplicity is a very difficult thing to pull off. Tool found some of the most intense, thick, chewy textures for Lateralus. The power and magnitude of it is quite awe inspiring. I have grown up on Rush, Genisis, Led Zeppelin, and many other bands that are certainly diverse and progressive. I would easily say Lateralus deserves to be considered a great piece of art.

Complexity and devotion to time signatures and changes alone is not the measure of any music. If you listen to Lateralus, there are many such constructs anyway. I love it and await the next Tool album!

Thread Information