Like Van Morrison?

Zeus - Say Us has been in heavy rotation for the last couple of weeks around here. Whenever I listen to it (especially "The Renegade") I feel like hearing me some classic Van (NP: Astral Weeks, in fact ). But the whole album is really good. Classic rock is alive and well in 2010.

This one is definitely gonna seed very high in my best of 2010 list.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Suspended
    I like Van pretty well, I'll have to check that one out. Unfortunately, no one in my area has been playing the Zeus.

I don't "like" Van...

I do LOVE him however. There's about 30 or so songs of his over the years that speak to my very soul. When we perform live, we usually do "Caravan" as a final song. I've also done several other songs of his on a regular basis over the years. "And it Soned Me". "Tupelo Honey", "Domino" and other flag wavers. The one song I'd love to do I "Jackie Wilson Said", but you gotta have horns for that puppy as well as "RedWood Tree"
    One of my fave songwriters of all time.

Worf

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Like him ok...but not in love with him. I have
    I am liking the Zeus however. Indie pop to be sure, and well done, well written. Not the usual one-trick pony flavor-o'-month indie stuff the taste makers try to tout all the time. Love the prodigeous use of Harrison-esque guitar and retro-organ on a few tracks. Some tracks sound Nillson-esque what with the tinpan alley piano, like Renegade and At Risk of Repeating Myself. Not feeling the VM reference at all; more like Steelers Wheel/ Gerry Rafferty to me. But me likey.

Good rec there Sloshy, made my Monday suck less.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Caravan? Oh man. His live perfomance of that tune in The Last Waltz...

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I do LOVE him however. There's about 30 or so songs of his over the years that speak to my very soul. When we perform live, we usually do "Caravan" as a final song. I've also done several other songs of his on a regular basis over the years. "And it Soned Me". "Tupelo Honey", "Domino" and other flag wavers. The one song I'd love to do I "Jackie Wilson Said", but you gotta have horns for that puppy as well as "RedWood Tree"
    One of my fave songwriters of all time.

Worf
    ...was fantastic. 'Turn up your.....radio! Switch on you electric light. Now we can get down to what is really wrong'. Freakin' genius of a song-writer.

I've been a Van fan for may years, but prefer Astral Weeks and Moondance to most of his later work. I'll have to check out that new one if Slosh likes it so much.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I have to question reading comprehension skills with some of you (hint: click on the blue text)

Zeus reminds me of Van Morrison, maybe more in spirit than sound, although the background vocals and brass flourishes are certainly Van-esque. 3LB is right on with the jangly Harrison-esque guitar.

To me this sounds like an album that could have been recorded forty years ago, and I mean that in a good way.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Suspended
    Oh..... I get it. All I can say is haste makes waste

Yeah, some people are just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I have to question reading comprehension skills with some of you (hint: click on the blue text)

Zeus reminds me of Van Morrison, maybe more in spirit than sound, although the background vocals and brass flourishes are certainly Van-esque. 3LB is right on with the jangly Harrison-esque guitar.

To me this sounds like an album that could have been recorded forty years ago, and I mean that in a good way.
    Serves me right for being too busy and multi-tasking to read your post (sigh). I was more interested in responding to Worf. It really has little to do with reading comprehension. More like a lack of concentration.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

3LB
    I did it, but I'm listening on a small set of computer speakers right now, so maybe it'll ring truer on a better rig.

So I bought this new one from Van Morrison...

... .

Good recommend Slosh. Diggin' it for sure. Also digging Broken Bells, Titus Anronicus, The Monring Benders, The National...life is good.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    A completely unedited, telling interview with the CBC. Scroll down to find his name, try not to stop on another. Lots of great stuff. Enjoy...

http://www.cbc.ca/q/uncut/

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ... .

The Monring Benders
    How does the new Morning Benders compare to their last one, Talking Through Tin Cans ('08)
    Last edited by 3LB; 05-27-2010 at 06:01 PM.

3LB
    The new one from Zeus, Busting Visions, continues Say Us's refusal to stay focused, still touching the same bases as before; the Harrisonesque twang, Van Morrison soul and Nilsson tinpan alley, but now with healthy dose of T-Rex. Perhaps not as polished as the debut (I did say T-Rex after all) choosing a slightly homemade sound on a few songs, like the opener, Are You Gonna Waste My Time. They even get downright danceable towards the end of the album, with two songs that could've been lifted from an old Of Montreal album. Don't worry, the bring it back down to earth with a little Nilsson on Cool Blue (And The Things You Do) and Harrison-like note bending on Now That I've Got You. The sprawl and diversity alone conjures memories of Schmilsson.

Thread Information