Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

So what do you think of the music for the Olympics?

If I have to hear that stupid I Believe song one more time I'm gonna hurl!

Okay, that was just the guise to make this music related so the mods won't catch on that this thread is OT and move it.

I'm sure that most, if not all, of us are watching the Olympics so I thought that it would be good to have our own little Olympic discussion thread.

I've been watching the women's hockey and Canada is kicking some serious butt. I have to say though, that even though Canada hammered the Slovakian team 18 - 0 on Saturday, the Slovak goal tender saved a whopping 49 shots on goal! Unbelievable. Too bad she didn't have a team to support her.

I'm looking forward to watching the first men's hockey game tonight (Canada, of course). I read today that despite his son's tragic death earlier this month, Brian Burke is still going to be part of the US team. I was happy to hear it.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I've been watching the women's hockey and Canada is kicking some serious butt. I have to say though, that even though Canada hammered the Slovakian team 18 - 0 on Saturday, the Slovak goal tender saved a whopping 49 shots on goal! Unbelievable. Too bad she didn't have a team to support her.
    With so many shots being fired at the net, it's only reasonable that some will get stopped. I don't know if that makes her a great keeper. I think if you had put a pylon in net that night, it would have stopped a similar amount.

Surely the Canadian coaches instructions were simple, if you can see the net, shoot!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If I have to hear that stupid I Believe song one more time I'm gonna hurl!

Okay, that was just the guise to make this music related so the mods won't catch on that this thread is OT and move it.

Oh like you do not have the mods wrapped around your finger.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Just so we don't have to hear O Canada anymore, that would be good enough for most of us

Hehehe, just kidding, great song, and Vancouver seems a perfect setting for the games, even if the weather hasn't been exactly perfect. But tarnished for sure. The handling of the Georgian athlete's death was a long way from perfect.
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Oh like you do not have the mods wrapped around your finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    Just so we don't have to hear O Canada anymore, that would be good enough for most of us

Hehehe, just kidding, great song, and Vancouver seems a perfect setting for the games, even if the weather hasn't been exactly perfect. But tarnished for sure. The handling of the Georgian athlete's death was a long way from perfect.
    That was certainly tragic and took some shine from these games for sure.

Vancouver is a beautiful city but why the OIC thought that it was a good idea to hold the winter games in the warmest city in the country was a mystery to me from the very beginning. Vancouver hardly ever gets snow so it's no surprise to most Canadians that they are having problems with the weather.

As for O Canada, that's a song that I can't get enough of. Maybe not the funky version that someone thought was a good idea for the opening ceremonies, but Vive le Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    The handling of the Georgian athlete's death was a long way from perfect.
    Official report: "The track did not cause the athlete's death." (but the big metal poles on the outside of the fastest curve on the track did, isn't that part of the track?) See if you can open a racetrack in any other form of speed sports that has obstructions like that in "run off" areas. It's appalling. The venue needs to take the blame 100%. Own up to it.

I like the winter games much more than the summer games. Aside from the fact that they are smaller and more intimate, the events are just way more exciting, on average. The Georgian's death only increases the pathos of these games with all their crazy speeds and heights. The dangers are real. People die and get seriously damaged doing this stuff. Bloodsport just carries much more weight and drama.

I must be the only American that finds all the nationalism kind of embarrassing. I suppose every country is guilty of it, but we do seem to have the market cornered.

I don't remember all the snot in the cross country events. Nice bridges and stalactites on every competitor. Must be the HD.

Oh yeah, music. I enjoyed hearing the Firebird during one of the skate routines this week. Booomy. What's up with the clown costumes though? Wonder when someone's gonna realize that they'll have more impact playing some trippy, heavy rock song to their skating . . .

And thank god for tivo too. I can watch a 4 hour broadcast in about 90 minutes. And not have to hear "We Are The World." Every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    What's up with the clown costumes though? Wonder when someone's gonna realize that they'll have more impact playing some trippy, heavy rock song to their skating .
    You want to talk abour clown costumes. Did you catch what the Norwegian men's curling team were sporting? From the Barnum and Bailey Collection...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, they're dressed worse than golfers!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You want to talk abour clown costumes. Did you catch what the Norwegian men's curling team were sporting? From the Barnum and Bailey Collection...

Looks like they are dressing aproppriately for the sport. Of course if my people hear curling the irons are out and warmed up.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Looks like they are dressing aproppriately for the sport. Of course if my people hear curling the irons are out and warmed up.
    What kind of representative are you!?! The community would never condone such bad fashion sense, maybe from a woman, uhhh actually probably not...

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Please tell me...what is this "olympics" of which you guys speak?
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

I'm just glad I won't have to listen to that annoying theme again - the one that sounds like an outtake from Chariots of Fire.

Suspended
    And here I thought all curlers dressed like that, it's way more exciting than the sport itself. One can take a nap between the release and the end of sweeping.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I'm just glad I won't have to listen to that annoying theme again - the one that sounds like an outtake from Chariots of Fire.
    You mean The Star Spangled Banner?

I'm kidding. KIDDING! Don't flame me...it was a joke.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Official report: "The track did not cause the athlete's death." (but the big metal poles on the outside of the fastest curve on the track did, isn't that part of the track?) See if you can open a racetrack in any other form of speed sports that has obstructions like that in "run off" areas. It's appalling. The venue needs to take the blame 100%. Own up to it.

I like the winter games much more than the summer games. Aside from the fact that they are smaller and more intimate, the events are just way more exciting, on average. The Georgian's death only increases the pathos of these games with all their crazy speeds and heights. The dangers are real. People die and get seriously damaged doing this stuff. Bloodsport just carries much more weight and drama.

I must be the only American that finds all the nationalism kind of embarrassing. I suppose every country is guilty of it, but we do seem to have the market cornered.

I don't remember all the snot in the cross country events. Nice bridges and stalactites on every competitor. Must be the HD.

Oh yeah, music. I enjoyed hearing the Firebird during one of the skate routines this week. Booomy. What's up with the clown costumes though? Wonder when someone's gonna realize that they'll have more impact playing some trippy, heavy rock song to their skating . . .

And thank god for tivo too. I can watch a 4 hour broadcast in about 90 minutes. And not have to hear "We Are The World." Every day.
    As a big cross country fan and skier, the coverage of X-Country has been greatly expanded and made watchable ever since the Norway Winter Games. Most people have no idea what it takes to do what those guys and gals do. The snot comes with the temps, I have had a full on ice face from time to time skiing in sub zero temps.

The best part about it all was the US winning events we never won, and compared to countries where they do this in their sleep, should not have won. The last american gold medalist was Bill Koch. I was lucky a few years back to get freestyle lessons from his Olympic coach who was on staff at Mountaintop in Vermont.

The other thing I noticed was that during the figure skating, the commentators actually shut up now and again allowing you to enjoy the skating. We all know what they will do since they all do the same exact things.

And your right, shame on them for building a course where death could happen. Your Race Course comment reminded me of the stories over the past several months where spectators are getting killed at motor racing events. It's about time they build race tracks where the spectators don't get killed. Bad enough they are just driving in circles.

Thread Information