Can we have some Aztec Camera appreciation?

I've only heard a couple songs but know there are some around here that have high regard for them...so where to start? High Land, Hard Rain seems the natural choice and AMG implies it is their best, along with most of the customer reviews at amazon. So, is this the general consensus, and does the album still hold up after all these 20 something years, or does it sound dated now? Kind of a cool cover

Forum Regular
    I had one of their recordings years ago but got rid of it, too foo foo for me at the time.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I've only heard a couple songs but know there are some around here that have high regard for them...so where to start? High Land, Hard Rain seems the natural choice and AMG implies it is their best, along with most of the customer reviews at amazon. So, is this the general consensus, and does the album still hold up after all these 20 something years, or does it sound dated now? Kind of a cool cover
    High Land Hard Rain is all I have, besides a pretty cool EP with their cover of Van Halen's "Jump", and I think it is a very good album, especially the killer opening track, "Oblivious", which you have on one of my '80s comps. Not too dated sounding, though I didn't really appreciate the record back in the day, as Dave said..."too foo foo", in a Squeeze kind of way. But revisiting it a few years later gave me a better appreciation for it. A guarded recomendation from me, but only if you think "Oblivious" is great.

I know that Jay recently discovered the album and thought it was great. I assume his opinion hasn't changed.

Mark
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

42 Regular
    I had that EP back in the day. There was some great folk/pop on that, beyond the "Jump" cover novelty. There was some song about "every whisper that welcomes / the inconceivable in the birth of the true" that got frequent spinnage in my room in college. And yes, "Oblivious" was a VERY catchy song.

Thanks for the nostalgia. Now...does anyone remember Cactus World News?
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

NO!

Actually dig a couple of toons but never really invested time or money into the band. Saw them open for the Kinks somewhere along the line. Don't recall much about them but remember quite a bit about the Kinks performance.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I like High Land, Hard Rain quite a bit, but I don't think it's worthy of 5 stars personally (probably 4). I also have Stray, but the debut is much better. Good album, but not one I find myself pulling off the shelf all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Now...does anyone remember Cactus World News?
    Absolutely. I still have Urban Beaches on cassette (and I may have a vinyl copy too). The band I always associate with them is Blue In Heaven because I found out about both at the same time through videos on MuchMusic.

How about Gentlemen Without Weapons?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Mark, you're right, my opinion hasn't changed. I think it's a great album, and an overlooked one. i had Knife for awhile & never got into it; rediscovering the first album, after something like 20 years, was a great thing. Here's a link to my post in the Tuesday thread a few months ago:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...=9932#post9932

I don't like others.

Thread Information