Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

So Runs The World Away

Josh Ritter released a new CD on May 4. I just happened across it on Amazon's site when I was looking for a CD to add to my order for free shipping...so I ordered it.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned it here yet since I know there are a few fans of his. Has anyone heard it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Josh Ritter released a new CD on May 4. I just happened across it on Amazon's site when I was looking for a CD to add to my order for free shipping...so I ordered it.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned it here yet since I know there are a few fans of his. Has anyone heard it yet?
    Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM #2350
    Slosh
    Done

user gallery
    Slosh has a spectacular aura aboutSlosh has a spectacular aura aboutSlosh has a spectacular aura about

First spin for the new Josh Ritter CD

edit: sounds like Paul Simon.
    Attached Images

user gallery
    noddin0ff is a jewel in the roughnoddin0ff is a jewel in the roughnoddin0ff is a jewel in the roughnoddin0ff is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slosh

Heh. I'm giving this a preview listen through NPR's stream of the album. I wish I hadn't read this post 'cause now I keep looking to hear Paul Simon...and I totally can see what you mean. However, Historical Conquests really grew on me and I think this album will too (when it actually comes out!).

dang...and I just read the NPR review where it says
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NPR Quote
    Ritter's category lacks a name, but it has a sound, a vision and a sense of poetic determination that puts So Runs the World Away on a level reserved for records such as Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind, Tom Waits' Rain Dogs and Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water. High praise, to be sure.

Speaking of Simon, Ritter recalls the melancholic side of that legendary songwriter in the epic "Another New World," as well as his perky side in "Lark." In the murder ballad "Folk Bloodbath," he imaginatively rewrites Blind Willie McTell's "Delia," while in the anthemic rocker "Lantern," Ritter explores love, risk and emotional safety.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    picked up the vinyl early release on Record Day a few weeks back (came with an actual cd of the album too - love when they do that). I've had a few good listens...no songs strike me as out-of-the-gates total winners but it's a nice listen. It may grow and I already like it more than spin #1. I still find Hello Starling and Animal Years more compelling than Historical Conquests and this one. Still, heads above much of what's out there and a very nice album.

WTF is this all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM #2350
    Slosh
    Done

user gallery
    Slosh has a spectacular aura aboutSlosh has a spectacular aura aboutSlosh has a spectacular aura about

Attached Images

user gallery
    noddin0ff is a jewel in the roughnoddin0ff is a jewel in the roughnoddin0ff is a jewel in the roughnoddin0ff is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slosh

edit: sounds like Paul Simon..
    ?????
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I'll have whatever he's having. And make it a double!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Well after a few listens, I'm not really digging this. It has a couple of good tunes but I have to agree with Jonny that overall it doesn't come close to Hello Starling or Animal Years. It may grow on me...or not. Either way, this and Historical Conquests might just be enough to knock Ritter off of my autobuy list.

I guess I won't be buying that one.

I thought Historical Conquests was pretty good, but my wife absolutely hates it, so I can't spin it in her presence.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information