Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    I've listened too the following in the past week...

rocKarma (Great cd, many spins)
    Crash Kelly - Penny Pills (another great cd)
    Aerosmith - Rockin' The Joint
    Helix - Rockin' In My Outer Space
    Paul Black's LA Guns - Black List
    Brian Setzer - Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy
    Bobnoxious - Two Fisted Twisted Rock and Roll (Amazing disc)

Forum Regular

Talking Sun Kil Moon

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    If yr patient, I can hook a brudda up.
    Hey sounds good I'll pm you

Cheers
    Mike

Managed to patch some serious holes in my collection with a few things I've been looking for, for years. How I came to locate & purchase these albums is directly related to the Sony/BMG DRM issue. But they were indeed purchased legally, and it was nice to be able to do so after the frustration in never finding some of these because the power inherent in one's ability to protect their intellectual property has resulted in some of these being, well, impossible to find. I suppose I could've gone looking on Ebay, but I spend so much time there that actually shopping on the site is something I rarely have the interest to pursue once I've spent countless hours doing my thing. Anyway, here are some of them:

Dennis Wilson—Pacific Ocean Blue
    Dr. John—Gris Gris
    Neil Young—Zuma
    Leonard Cohen—Various Positions
    Ringo Starr—Sentimental Journey
    Serge Gainsbourg—Couleur Café
    Rolling Stones—Jamming With Edward
    The Pursuit Of Happiness—She’s So Young (an amazing pop single I've long had a video on a tape somewhere, but never had or even saw a copy of their CD)
    Television—Adventure
    The Libertines—Up The Bracket

The Ringo is sort of a joke, but a nice one, with a good backing band tackling some tasty standards, and if he's really not the guy to be attempting a project like this, it beats the p*ss out of Barry Manilow singing Sinatra, for one. But it's mostly a novelty listen, even if it is better to my ears than, say, Michael Buble. But, as much as I'm not crazy about the guy, I'd reach for Harry Connick first for this sort of thing. Or perhaps Jamie Cullum.

The Gainsbourg is amazing, the only one I didn't have in the set of 3 comps put out by Phillips some years ago that seem to summarize his career quite efficiently, even if none of 'em touch on Melody Nelson. But that's a work unto itself that probably doesn't work on a comp anyway.

Jamming with Edward is as poor as what I expected given everything I've read about it; I had heard it once before, but figured it was worth at least a listen, considering the presence of Ry Cooder, the discounted price, and that I listen to certain things with different ears considering 20 years have passed since I heard it. Lazy, sloppy, uninspired, uninteresting, but something a Stones fanatic just has to hear, even if only once.

I haven't heard the Television album in more than 18 years, either. The idea of them trying to top Marquee Moon is more than daunting, but it's a good rec, that's for sure. I still don't understand the disconnect I hear between this, the first one, the ROIR stuff, and the Dire Straits-esque effort from 1992. Well, never mind that. This is good, yo.

The Dennis Wilson is something I've never even seen in the years since I rediscovered the Beach Boys, let alone heard. What I have are files that I need to turn up the volume on before rendering a firm opinion. What it sounds like, though, is a far more proficient bunch of songs than some of the stuff on albums like Holland & Carl & the Passions, certainly more interesting, but definitely a similar style. I need more hear.

The Neil Young & the Dr. John are both incredible. I'm not a big fan of his later 'Gumbo' stuff, which has a totally different feel & I'm not crazy about that production, either. This stuff is amazing. As is Zuma, and I haven't gotten to Comes A Time or Prairie Wind yet. I'll report back.

Also Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose. Interesting...I have to give it another spin. Sounds good, though.

My Morning Jacket—Z. So far I prefer It Still Moves, but that's subject to change. Not sure if I hear what everyone loves about this yet, and I sure loved that last rec, but I need to hear it more.

A Beatles comp I call “Remedial Beatles Appreciation," and a lot of Rolling Stones; the Lucinda Williams Live DVD from Austin City Limits...these DVDs must work better as CDs. They're just a bit of a challenge to sit through when there's so little movement or stage energy. Performance is good/very good, songs are solid. But I'm on record as being disappointed with the Live At The Fillmore album, too. Still.

Nirvana—Sliver. Can they find anything else to flog? This is becoming downright undignified. I'm a little dismayed about the idea of that new-ish Ramones box, the one with the cartoons, too. Was that really necessary? Cartoons, good. Redundant reissue, unnecessary, maybe a bit hypocritical considering the stance of the Ramones on that sort of aspect of the rock-star-band repackages, uh, thing. But then, the more exposure to the Ramones, the better. Oh, and I came across a very-well-recorded boot of a few songs from a 1985 show. That's when I first started going to see them, and Richie was the most energetic drummer they ever had. The live show that a lot of people caught a whiff, or more, of, following Marky's return that covered the last 10 years they were together, was born when Richie joined the fold & the velocity increased significantly. And they were much sloppier with Marky when he came back & the band had moved towards playing significantly faster on a regular basis. Marky was & is a superior drummer, and extremely versatile, the finest technical musician the band ever had, but Richie was their best drummer. That band could only respond well to very subtle changes...of the sort that Richie brought along. It's too bad it didn't work out with him. The live show with him pounding the skins was pretty incredible.

Another boot I came across is some Stooges from 1972; varying quality, some Raw Power sessions, what sounds like a radio performance or two, and some pieces to the puzzle that was the Raw Power album, which have been available for years, but I never had this stuff. Not great, but essential for a Stooges freak like me.

Asylum Street Spankers—My Favorite Record: more goooood rootsy stuff. Brian Eno, Music For...an inability to listen. What do I have here? 4 CDs? Music For Movies, oh, sorry, films, More Music for films, Apollo, and Thursday Afternoon. The overall effect is that I want to reach for this here Kronos Quartet disc, or at least give the Ry Cooder ode to the destruction of the nabe, Chavez Ravine, where they built Dodger Stadium, which has disappointed me greatly so far. The Eno, I wouldn't use as an interrogation tool. Well, maybe I would.

Etta James—At Last!, some Earth, Wind & Fire, and some groovy electronica--Fantastic Plastic Machine, Balligomingo, Chris Joss.

And a dang fine singer-singwriter rec from a guy named Eugene Edwards. I might've mentioned his name already, I don't know. I've been out of it like a mofo, so if I repeat myself, forgive me. FA, that item we discussed is in the works, I should have it together within a few days, let me know if there's a time constraint.

Now to pop that Bette Midler sings Peggy Lee, produced by Barry Manilow, into my box here so I can cop some of that groovy XCP software. You should see the pile of worthless discs here I refuse to sell because of this friggin' garbage. This Sony thing reveals more incompetence, deceit, arrogance, & brazen hostility towards their paying customers with each passing day. Anyone see this?

I know this belongs in that other thread, but just think for a second about the implications of this...

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6283697.html

I don't like others.

The Pursuit Of Happiness—She’s So Young (an amazing pop single I've long had a video on a tape somewhere, but never had or even saw a copy of their CD)

did you pick up LOVE JUNK? Man, I love that album. The lyrics on some of the songs are killer, esp. "Man's Best Friend" and "Walking in the Woods" - really great, smart stuff. Everyone has heard "I'm An Adult Now" but yea, "She's So Young" was THE killer single as far as I was concerned. Whatever happened to Moe Berg?

-jar
    Last edited by -Jar-; 11-16-2005 at 05:54 AM.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I thought a lot of people said the latest Bowie was pretty nice? No? Didn't pay much attention, I guess.
    Reality was probably the best thing that he's put out in the last 20 years IMO. But when you have a career that is four decades old, one good disk in 20 years is pretty pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big Bowie fan. But I'd have to say that I'm a fan of his early music. When I saw him during the Reality tour, I was quite bored when he started performing his newer (post 1983) material. Just my personal opinion, no flames please.

Now, having said that...with the influence of many people here at RR, my musical tastes have changed substantially over the last three years and how I listen to music has changed. So, perhaps it's time to go back and take another listen to some of these newer Bowie disks with my new ears. Maybe I'll feel differently about them now.

Quote Originally Posted by opt80
    FA, that is odd that it is hard to find,I bought mine @ MusiWorld. If Amazon wants too much $# drop me a pm and I'll pick it for ya and send it your way

Alan
    Thanks for the offer Alan, but it's only $11.99 on Amazon.

The problem with finding this disk is the way that HMV markets it. They have about a 100 or so titles (maybe more) which they are selling as 2/$25. The problem that I've had is that I've been buying so many CDs lately that I have most of disks under this promotion that I want. And, each store has a different selection under this promotion. So, I haven't yet found an HMV store that has Luke Doucet AND something else that I want that I don't already have.

The one store that did have Luke and something else, the case for the Doucet CD was damaged. Damn cardboard packaging, you can't just replace it like a jewel case.

I'll find it eventually (or order it). But I did put it into a listening station and was very impressed with what I heard.

Last night

Took the Scion xB for a little spin with Opeth's STILL LIFE. Man, that is one killer album, I have to admit. To me, it's an excellent balance of the full-on throttle death style and the more quiet material they perfected on the next one, BLACKWATER PARK. Actually, it's more similar to DELIVERANCE. The fun thing about Opeth, at least for me, is that whatever album I'm listening to (with maybe the exception of ORCHID) becomes my favorite at the time.

The factory stereo on the xB is very good (really nice highs especially), though it does have a couple of pre-sets that are a little too boomy for my taste. However, I discovered a trick that I learned on a Scion website. The stereo is initially set for the kind of car it's in (tC, xA or xB). I switched it to the xA setting (the smaller hatchback car) and the sound improved greatly. Much tighter and not as boomy. I think for some reason whoever designed the pre-sets set the curves for the xB WAY too boomy. Maybe they thought xB buyers would be listening to a lot of rap and nu-metal? I dunno. From what others have said, the xA setting is superior in all 3 vehicles. Go figure.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

I saw an xB sitting in a parking lot (even though they aren't being sold here yet) so I went over to investigate. It's a neat looking car. I especially liked the instrument panel in the middle, which greatly increased the storage space in the dash (I can never have too much storage space within reach). I was a little surprised at how small a car it is. The pictures made it look bigger. But it sure looks like a fun drive!

Star One: Ask me next Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Is that the same guy from Ayreon ...I could look it up...wait...ah yes, it's Arjen Lucassen

anyway...how is it?
    I haven't listened to it since it came out. I think its disk five out of six on rotation, so I won't get to it until the end of the day. Let me give it a few spins, and then I'll let you know.

I listened to the Electric Castle by Ayreon a few weeks ago and it's pretty good prog-metal. I'd have to recommend it to friends of Ayreon and people who like bands like Dream Theater and Queensryche, and perhaps even The Flower Kings.

I don't remember all I listened to, but I do remember this one:

Rush - 2112

I have this on cassette and had it on in the car. At some point my son said "Dad, why aren't they singing?" Good question, but only one of many about this. It really gets boring for me, and I was completely zoning it out when he asked me that question. It has some really good moments, but gets so bogged down in all of the overplayed instrumental passages. Having said that, it's one of my favorite Rush albums, which means I listen to it every 8 years or so instead of, umm, never.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Jamming with Edward is as poor as what I expected given everything I've read about it; I had heard it once before, but figured it was worth at least a listen, considering the presence of Ry Cooder, the discounted price, and that I listen to certain things with different ears considering 20 years have passed since I heard it. Lazy, sloppy, uninspired, uninteresting, but something a Stones fanatic just has to hear, even if only once.
    Hahaha! I picked up a copy of that loser about ten years ago at the used record store. WTF, never heard of this one before? I love the Stones and I love Ry Cooder, this has gotta be great! Fortunately only cost me a couple bucks to find out what most fans already learned long ago. Drugs + too much studio time + no one smart enough to turn off the recorder = hippo balls.
    I haven't heard the Television album in more than 18 years, either. The idea of them trying to top Marquee Moon is more than daunting, but it's a good rec, that's for sure. I still don't understand the disconnect I hear between this, the first one, the ROIR stuff, and the Dire Straits-esque effort from 1992. Well, never mind that. This is good, yo.
    Love that Adventure, as I've often said around here. Great album, more pop than Marquee Moon, but sometimes I like it more. Probably have listened to it more than the debut over the years. You and your Dire Straits, hehehe, that self titled album is easily one of the best of the 90s. Bought it when it first came out since I was a huge Verlaine fan and had most of his solo stuff too, but it just totally knocked me out. Mesmerizing. Still listen to it regularly and even used a song on one of my latest comps. His all instrumental album at the same time was also brilliant. Couple Televison with some La's and Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend and PJ Harvey's Dry, and my early 90s coulda been spent on the proverbial desert island with few musical complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    LOTW: Tie between Carina Round, The Disconnection (love Love LOVE that sequence of Monument/Motel '74)...
    Yeah, too bad she got such little notice. Maybe she'll come over here now and hook up with Steve Albini and make magic. Girl, ya gotta get away from those idiots at Interscope unless you're gonna get some implants and hit the Maxim circuit with a crapper full of recycled hip hop beats and Playboy dancers. If ya wanna play rock and roll, grab your soul back and move over to Too Pure or one of the other good indies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information