A shout out to Mr. MidFi

Printable View

• 05-06-2005, 08:46 AM
    Slosh
    A shout out to Mr. MidFi
    Yesterday, out of the blue, I received a package from Mr. MF and I'm on my third spin already :) . Good song selection, of course, but what sets this comp apart is the excellent flow. Nice job!

Sooner or Later
    Next to You The Police
    I'm a Wheel Wilco
    Ever Fallen in Love Buzzcocks
    Aftermath REM
    Prove My Love Violent Femmes
    Another Travelin' Song Bright Eyes
    Save It for Later English Beat
    Love and Peace or Else U2
    Nowhere Again The Secret Machines
    Set the Twilight Reeling Lou Reed
    TROUBLE Guadalcanal Diary
    Clouds Jayhawks
    Not Even Stevie Nicks . . . Calexico
    Girls Death In Vegas
    Jockey Full of Bourbon Los Lobos
    Wolves, Lower REM
    Late Greats Wilco
    Smoothie Song (I don't know who does this - not on the tracklist but the song title shows up via CD-Text)

With great compilations like this one floating around you just can't quit this place, no matter how dead it gets :cool:
  • 05-06-2005, 09:25 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Thanks, man. I threw that one together as a sort of old-meets-new answer to your Guerillas In the Mix disc, which is still getting serious rotation BTW. Glad you enjoyed it. Of course, anyone else who wants one...feel free to PM me.

The bonus track is by Nickel Creek, and it appears on WXRT's Live from the Archives vol. 7. I'm not really a bluegrass guy, but that song was kinda cool.
  • 05-06-2005, 10:45 AM
    Slosh
    Yeah, I 'fixed' Guerrillas. Obviously I ditched the bad rip on the Sparklehorse song and got a good one this time (disc must have been a little grimey or something), but the real improvement was replacing "Lover's Rock" with "Hateful" and putting it behind "Neighborhood #2". Those two songs sound like they were meant to be played together. Also tightened up some of the crossfades. Wish I had some patience and mailed this version out :(

Anyway, Sooner or Later is just great. I think I gotta make another one of these something-old-something-new comps. Got a CD-R of the new Beck and the new Spoon album comes out this Tuesday and . . . . ;)
  • 05-06-2005, 08:12 PM
    Finch Platte
    Aww, c'mon, guys.
    Send me stuff, wouldja? I'd sure like to hear some newold toons. And everyone got a copy of girls inna mist but me, I guess. :(

Spank me betty much,

fp
  • 05-07-2005, 05:56 AM
    Slosh
    all ya hafta do is ask
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Send me stuff, wouldja? I'd sure like to hear some newold toons. And everyone got a copy of girls inna mist but me, I guess. :(

Spank me betty much,

fp

Actually, I only sent out four copies 'cause that's how many mailers I had on hand. No one else ever asked for a copy 'til now. I could also send you a copy of MidFi's Sooner or Later (sans artwork) while I'm at it. I changed my comp a little so I'll post the final tracklist here in the off-chance that anyone else would like a copy. BTW, it gets a little heavy-ish towards the end but somehow I suspect that's not a problem for you :)

Guerrillas In The Mix
    01. MX Missiles - Andrew Bird
    02. Boo - Pinback
    03. The Engine Driver - The Decemberists
    04. Forgiveness - Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers
    05. Oh, My Girl - Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter
    06. Broke The Furniture - Earlimart
    07. Death Or Glory - The Clash
    08. 16 Military Wives - The Decemberists
    09. The Citizen's Band - Super Furry Animals
    10. [A] Touch Sensitive - Super Furry Animals
    11. Voices Inside My Head - The Police
    12. Seville - Pinback
    13. Neighborhood #2 (Laika) - Arcade Fire
    14. Hateful - The Clash
    15. Sidewalk Serfer Girl - Super Furry Animals
    16. X I Y - Pinback
    17. Miss Gradenko - The Police
    18. We Both Go Down Together - The Decemberists
    19. Angry Candy - Autolux
    20. Pig - Sparklehorse
    21. Blanket - Autolux

edit: I was out of stamps so since I was going to the post office anyway I mailed you a copy along with a dub of Mr. MF's comp this morning. Don't thank me 'til you listen first ;)
  • 05-09-2005, 05:45 AM
    Mr MidFi
    Thanks, Slosh. I owe you the cost of postage and a CD-R!

Finchy, what can I say? I only sent one copy out, and that was recompense for Slosh's unsolicited Guerilla thingy. All I can say is...enjoy!
  • 05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
    Swish
    Why bother? You don't like anything anyway....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch Platte

Spank me betty much,

fp

at least not anything us "normal" people like. ;)

Swish Baby