Seeing The Waterboys live Saturday night.

Heading to the Keswick, just north of Philly, to see that most excellent band. Formed way back in 1983, they split about 10 years later so leader Mike Scott could pursue a solo career, which I suppose didn't take off the way he expected. I was very pleased when they reunited in 2000. This Is the Sea and Fisherman's Blues are my favorites records from them, but in all honesty, I probably like the music of World Party, a band started by Karl Wallinger, who left the band in 1985, better than the Waterboys.

Anyway, we're spending the day on South Street and in Manayunk before hitting the show. Hope the weather is decent.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular

Didn't know that

Never knew there was a link between The Waterboys and World Party. I like both but opposite ends of the musical spectrum in my books.

Bernd is a big fan of The Waterboys, in fact I'm not sure if I didn't read in a post he knows Mike Scott personally. Should be a good show.

Cheers
    Mike

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Hey Swishy. Have a great time! I'm not very familiar with the Waterboys but I think that Hubby has a couple of their CDs. Perhaps I'll give one a spin.

I am sure you will have a great time Swish. I've been a fan since almost day one. And also really like World Party too. Like Mike said at opposite sides of the spectrum.
    Have seen Mike Scott solo and with the band don't know how many times. I know that they really look forward to doing North America. Should be really tight as they've toured for most of this year.
    Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the show. I really dig their new album.
    Have fun.

Peace

Last edited by Bernd; 11-01-2007 at 08:05 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

World Party is the name of a song on Fisherman's Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Never knew there was a link between The Waterboys and World Party. I like both but opposite ends of the musical spectrum in my books.

Bernd is a big fan of The Waterboys, in fact I'm not sure if I didn't read in a post he knows Mike Scott personally. Should be a good show.

Cheers
    Mike
    He left the band amicably from what I understand. I'll have to PM Bernd and pump him for information!

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Swish,

I have four or five discs, which in the scheme of things is probably a drop in the Waterboys' bucket, and they pretty well rawk. Definetely good stuff including the live material. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Enjoy

Here are a couple of pics. Excuse the poor quality. From the days before digital and we had a beer or two.
    Mike and the Waterboys in Berlin Oct 2nd and 3rd 1990. I picked them up from the Airport (Mike forgot his passport again and the promoter couldn't get hotel rooms as the german reunification announcement and celebration took place that night and our little city was at bursting point, so we stayed up all night). The show next night at the Metropol was pants. I hope I wasn't to blame .

First pic is Anto having a proper beer with Mike looking on and second pic is Mike watching that historic announcement in front of the Reichstag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeing The Waterboys live Saturday night.-pb010002.jpg   Seeing The Waterboys live Saturday night.-pb010003.jpg  
    Last edited by Bernd; 11-01-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Actually, they only have about 10 proper albums....

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey Swish,

I have four or five discs, which in the scheme of things is probably a drop in the Waterboys' bucket, and they pretty well rawk. Definetely good stuff including the live material. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time.

Enjoy
    ...not including the 'best of' and EP stuff. I think there were 5 or 6 done before they split up in 1993, and 4 or 5 since they reformed in 2000. I don't have all of them, but most, and there's not a clunker in the bunch.

Swish

U B lucky. I'd love to see them.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Part 2

Decided to head to Northern Spain for the Jan 6th show in Logrono. Couldn't make my mind up to go at first, but seing that it is the Waterboys and the last day of a week-long Fiesta in Rioja country was all the excuse I needed. On top of that I shall visit the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. A perfect end to the holiday break I reckon.

Peace

Sounds like a great place to see them...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Decided to head to Northern Spain for the Jan 6th show in Logrono. Couldn't make my mind up to go at first, but seing that it is the Waterboys and the last day of a week-long Fiesta in Rioja country was all the excuse I needed. On top of that I shall visit the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. A perfect end to the holiday break I reckon.

Peace

...although not quite as exotic at the Keswick Theater in Glenside. Enjoy.

Swish - tongue firmly planted in cheek

Thread Information