Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rush Tour 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    That's misspelled.
    I like it that way.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Surprised no one has talked about the tour here.
    still surprised?

Really Mr P, its ok to not post about music here...it really is.

How many times I gotta tell ya, you can't discuss prog here.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    How many times I gotta tell ya, you can't discuss prog here.
    Sure he can...he just has to ignore the simpletons whose brains aren't evolved enough to understand and enjoy such complex music.

And...to be fair...Rush haven't really been prog for 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

And...to be fair...Rush haven't really been prog for 30 years.
    I think you may have hit on why I don't like them anymore... Hmmm.

3LB
    No, Rush isn't that proggy anymore and no, they haven't put out an album I find compelling since '86, which at worst puts them in the same boat as a lot of other rock acts from the '70s (The Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison, Springsteen, AC/DC, Aerosmith to name a few), acts who are still around and get a lot of praise for resting on their laurels and putting out the same album several times over. I'd rather hear a '90s Rush album than anything those aforementioned acts put out since 1980.

No, Rush isn't that proggy anymore and no, they haven't put out an album I find compelling since '86, which at worst puts them in the same boat as a lot of other rock acts from the '70s (The Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison, Springsteen, AC/DC, Aerosmith to name a few), acts who are still around and get a lot of praise for resting on their laurels and putting out the same album several times over. I'd rather hear a '90s Rush album than anything those aforementioned acts put out since 1980.
    I was listening to the first Rush CD on the way in today. It really does have a sound that is unmached by anything that came out after. Nothing agaist Neil. He's a great drummer and writer. There was just an energy on that first CD that I can't explain.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Dylan? Really? Granted, none of his recent albums are on par with Highway 61 or Blood on the Tracks, but I just don't agree with you that he was "resting on his laurels" on Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft, which are really damn good IMO.

I really like some of the stuff Van Morrison has done in the past 10-15 years too, but I can see how one could not be enamored with it.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I was listening to the first Rush CD on the way in today. It really does have a sound that is unmached by anything that came out after. Nothing agaist Neil. He's a great drummer and writer. There was just an energy on that first CD that I can't explain.
    I once heard an interview with Geddy Lee that took place sometime around they released the Hold Your Fire album (I quote from memory) "when we were starting out we were focused on mastering our instruments, then we went through a phase where were experimenting sounds and textures and moods, but now we're focused on song writing and content" - i.e. resting on their laurels. I liked those first two phases. Like I said before, there are still gems dispersed throughout. Available Light from Presto might be Lee's best vocal ever, for example. But Rush has a lot of samey sounding stuff from '86 on. They're working on another set of songs, which may or may not see conventional release, as Peart has expressed reservation (as have others) about the future of CD or other physical medium with regards to new music.

I once heard an interview with Geddy Lee that took place sometime around they released the Hold Your Fire album (I quote from memory) "when we were starting out we were focused on mastering our instruments, then we went through a phase where were experimenting sounds and textures and moods, but now we're focused on song writing and content" - i.e. resting on their laurels. I liked those first two phases. Like I said before, there are still gems dispersed throughout. Available Light from Presto might be Lee's best vocal ever, for example. But Rush has a lot of samey sounding stuff from '86 on. They're working on another set of songs, which may or may not see conventional release, as Peart has expressed reservation (as have others) about the future of CD or other physical medium with regards to new music.
    I still view anything after All The World's A Stage as their new stuff.

Suspended
    A friend turned me on to a link;

http://www.rush.com/

Suspended
    Got em.... got em, GOT EM!!!

Good thing I was on when the sale started. Best seats not including VIP package was $125.00. I think those may have sold out which kept me from having to make the decision to spend that much. I got the next best at $82.00. I'm near center in row OO, that was the best offer that came up. VIP package was $325.00 with numbered posted, new DVD, mini CD with new songs, seat in first 15 rows, Rush pick collection and T-shirt. That's what I remember of the list any way.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Congrats! You're going to love 'em live!

Suspended
    I guess in Canada you all have to deal with service charges as well? The service charge was nearly a fourth the price of a ticket which made them just under $100.00 per the one I got.

Congrats. Wish I were going too.

I bought the Snakes & Arrows live DVD and watched most of it. It was interesting to see during the 3 encore songs, One Little Victory received a very lukewarm reception- the audience barely cheering or throwing their hands up as they had for the entire show. Newer Rush song = The Suck.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    They only had two bad albums IMO. Everything up to and including Counterparts is excellent for the most part. Test For Echo and Vapour Trails were both pretty ho-hum. But I thought that Snakes and Arrows was pretty damn good.
    I didn't think much of TFE, VT or S&A. I just feel Geddy's voice isn't what it used to be, not that it was anything great, but it fit their music. I hate to see it happen, so many of my favorite groups have long disbanded. It's tough to see one that is still original start to lose it. Tull is still around from time to time touring, but I see Ian doing more solo tours. Renaissance is touring again this summer and that's nice to see. But sometimes the prices that tickets go for will put a serious kink in your wallet. Not like the old days where you saw three groups for $5 or $6. Sorry, I'm starting to rant.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System