Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

I just heard on the news that Amy Winehouse was found dead in her home.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

That is sad. Not surprising, but still very sad.

This sucks.

I don't like others.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    It's getting pretty sad when the first reaction is "not surprised" (that was mine). Seems like the world was just waiting for this. I'm kind of curious if the public's reaction will be sorrow and grief, or indifference. Rock stars used to be iconified for dying young...doubt that's the case anymore.

Yeah, I heard the bad news a little while ago.

She certainly was on a self-destructive path and has been in and out of rehab a number of times. This really does suck.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    What a tragic waste of a life. I heard it on the radio and, like others here, my first thought was "well, it was only a matter of time".

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I just heard that she joins some other famous rockers who died at 27 years of age. Janis, Jimi and Jim Morrison all died at 27. I think Janis' death was the most upsetting for me. Of course all very sad and tragic. Tonight I will be playing Amy's music and toasting her life with my addiction, wine.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Never knew it had been categorized to this extent until today...but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

I don't like others.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Really, of all the people in that infamous "27 Club" it may even be a minor miracle Winehouse made it to 27. Too bad she couldn't overcome her demons.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
    It's getting pretty sad when the first reaction is "not surprised" (that was mine). Seems like the world was just waiting for this. I'm kind of curious if the public's reaction will be sorrow and grief, or indifference. Rock stars used to be iconified for dying young...doubt that's the case anymore.
    Kex, I'll have to seconded your (assertion) because its really sad, which ever way "one's choose to react to the passing of (AW)"

drugs is a Disease. R.I.P AW
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Hopefully this will send a message to these other Hollywood partyers that if you keep messing with fire..........

It's really sad when your first thought is. "Well it doesn't surprize me". Watch out Lindsay.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
    Whileit may indicate a sad state of affairs, you can't say it's entirely unwarranted. It's not like her life wasn't a matter of public record, and the public has seen this cause and effect many. many times before, albiet not so publicly displayed.

This is what her owm mother said in 2008:

"In an interview in 2008, her mother Janis said she would be unsurprised if her daughter died before her time.

She said: 'I've known for a long time that my daughter has problems.

'But seeing it on screen rammed it home. I realise my daughter could be dead within the year. We're watching her kill herself, slowly.

'I've already come to terms with her dead. I've steeled myself to ask her what ground she wants to be buried in, which cemetery.

'Because the drugs will get her if she stays on this road.

'I look at Heath Ledger and Britney. She's on their path. It's like watching a car crash - this person throwing all these gifts away.'

In addition, there was a website set up called When Will Amy Winehouse Die?, with visitors asked to guess the date of death."

The entire article is here.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Whileit may indicate a sad state of affairs, you can't say it's entirely unwarranted. It's not like her life wasn't a matter of public record, and the public has seen this cause and effect many. many times before, albiet not so publicly displayed.
    All true. I feel for her mom. Must suck to see tabloids, late night comedians, and probably average people on the street cracking jokes about your daughter for years while she failed to make any progress.

That's the extent of my exposure to her. I couldn't name 1 Amy Winehouse song. Not my bag.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire View Post
    Never knew it had been categorized to this extent until today...but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
    Wow, Robert Johnson, Mia Zapata, D. Boon... never realized that. I also see that Pete Ham is on there. What a tragic band.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Wow, Robert Johnson, Mia Zapata, D. Boon... never realized that. I also see that Pete Ham is on there. What a tragic band.

~Rae
    A few days ago I added a Richmond Fontaine song to my site about Zia and her band The Gits, kind of a tribute that they made for the Katrina relief compilation a few years ago. I had a foggy memory of her murder and the outrage at the time, but never heard if there was any resolution. So I checked and they did finally find the killer, due to some luck and some DNA, about 10 years after her murder.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Do I need to apologize for egregious tastelessness?

TCA ATT GGA

42 Regular
    Before she became a household name in the U.S., my brother caught her 2006 performance at the Coachella festival and was raving about her for days. So when we met up at 2007 Lollapalooza, he insisted that we go and see her set. "You'll be blown away" was all he kept saying to me, and I was ready to be a believer.

To call the show merely 'disappointing' is to do violence to the language. She was practically comatose on her feet, and clearly withering in the heat. Her band, the Dap-Kings, were tight as a drum, but she was like a bad joke. After 20 minutes or so, we walked away, shaking our heads. It was obvious that something was very, very wrong with her.

A lot of people saw this disaster coming, of course. But that doesn't make it any less tragic.

Arguably, it makes it worse.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Yeah, a shame but I had long lost hope for another record to be honest.

Thread Information