Roger Glover's (Deep Purple's bassist) pretty cool solo disc, Snapshot

Wow, this was a pretty groovy find in the cheapo bins at Rasputin's. It's not the best disc in the world, but I've certainly done worse. And a total 180 from what he does with DP. He plays mostly bass, along with accoustic guitar & some vocals, but he pretty much stays in the background and lets the songs breathe. Randall Bramblett fleshes out quite a few of the songs with some nice Hammond organ work, along with guitar.

Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule) contributes to a couple of tracks, as does someone named Gillian Glover (not his wife- daughter? Sister?), who has some purty lead/background vocals.

So, if you see it somewhere for cheap, don't hesitate to pick it up. Or pm me & I'll make you a copy.

Allmusic: Even though he has produced bands and guested on other artists' records over the years, bassist Roger Glover will forever be best known as a member of Deep Purple. Purple had been his main focus for some time come the early 21st century, but somehow Glover also found the time to issue a solo album, Snapshot, in 2002. Despite hard rock/heavy metal having long been Purple's musical preference, Snapshot turns out to be a major left turn for Glover, as a variety of non-headbanging styles are included -- funk (the album-opening "My Turn"), reggae ("Burn Me Up Slowly"), folk-meets-soul-rock ("Queen of England"), and blues ("It's Only Life"). Although the album is credited to Glover, vocalist Randall Bramblett is really the main focus throughout, as he sings on nearly all of the album's tracks -- and has no problem adapting to the various styles. Once upon a time, a solo album by a member of an established rock band usually meant a collection of tunes that didn't exactly fit in with the bandmember's renowned style. And that's exactly what Glover opted to do with Snapshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    And a total 180 from what he does with DP.
    So it's all good, save for a few songs?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    So it's all good, save for a few songs?
    That's about right.

Last edited by Finch Platte; 11-30-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Gillian is Roger's 34 year old daughter. She released her first solo that was supposedly pretty good. Never hoid it meself.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

It's his daughter in the water.

Gillian is Roger's 34 year old daughter. She released her first solo that was supposedly pretty good. Never hoid it meself.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    nah, 180 degrees from DP would be his Butterfly Ball album from the early '70s, based on a children's book and featured several great vocalists, including some amazing work from Ronnie James Dio.

He did some different stuff as a solo artist, that's for sure, like his rather symph-proggy Elements from '78.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information