Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    937

    Ridin' the blueberry boat

    with the Firey Furnaces was an interesting journey.. I feel like I took a boat ride into a freakish musical house of history.. ya know one of those boat rides kind of like in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? "I think I'm having a freak-out!"

    Along the way are distorted images of Ween, old old Sebadoh, Helium, His Name is Alive, some fleeting images of classic rock and musicals, plus the normal psychotic merry-go-round music you might hear at a fair.

    It's a lot to digest, I'm not used to music that's so very lyric-focused, but they create such interesting sonic backdrops for their weird tales of beenie babies, TCBY, blacksmiths and other weird topics that it's difficult to stop listening. I'm definately reminded of Ween's THE POD. Almost too many musical ideas to fit into one album, but they do it somehow.

    They don't really hit on what really turns me on about music.. they sort of hit everything else though, much to like, much to appreciate.

    -jar
    Last edited by -Jar-; 10-03-2004 at 06:29 AM.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

    I tweet @masonjarjar

  2. #2
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    That's an interesting (and apt) way to put it. They also often veer off my usual musical path but it's all so well done and compelling (a contradiction I know but those who have heard this album will know what I'm talking about) that I nearly always end up just listening to the whole album, even when I intended to just play a few cuts. Is there any higher praise than that? This is one of those albums that you just know right away will be a cult classic.

    NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble (which just may be good enough to challenge Blueberry Boat for my best of '04, or at least place very highly in my top ten)
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  3. #3
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,869
    If you're ridin' the blueberry boat, better keep a watch out for the pirates, because.....

    The radar said nothing and nothing crossed my mind
    when they came starboard side up from behind.
    I never saw them coming even though it was light;
    they beat two of my men simply out of spite.
    And then they came back to the helm, kicked me over and said
    Do what we say or we'll kill you and your men.
    I looked back at those pirates with their beady little eyes;
    I gathered my courage and I could see their surprise
    when I said Go ahead you could cut my throat
    but you ain't never getting the cargo of my blueberry boat.
    --It's sad and it's cold at the bottom of the sea
    but at least I got my blueberries with me.




    "Lyrically, they've crafted the most complete concept stories of recent memory; with these epics, they spin range from credit card fraud to pirates to joining the army to a dog finding religious enlightenment. But musically? That's where it gets tough. The Furnaces touch on everything from the Beatles to Pink Floyd, Dylan, early Americana folk and blues, the Who (faintly), Captain Beefheart, the inventiveness of the Velvets, PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, Queen, Radiohead, the ADD of Guided By Voices, the heavy trip hop production of the Bristol Massive, Bjork, Royal Trux, etc. etc. Throw all of the above mentioned bands into a blender, add some Jack Daniels and puree--the end result is something wholly original and enjoyable, an extremely rare combination. Suffice to say the Friedbergers have made a cogent statement that leaves most other contemporary acts in the dust." http://www.cokemachineglow.com/revie...berry2004.html

  4. #4
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Registered Member Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,637
    And you guys think I listen to some W.A.S.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jar-
    It's a lot to digest, I'm not used to music that's so very lyric-focused, but they create such interesting sonic backdrops for their weird tales of beenie babies, TCBY, blacksmiths and other weird topics that it's difficult to stop listening.
    And don't forget the lost dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Along the way are distorted images of Ween, old old Sebadoh, Helium, His Name is Alive, some fleeting images of classic rock and musicals, plus the normal psychotic merry-go-round music you might hear at a fair.
    I definitely hear some They Might Be Giants.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  5. #5
    Toon Robber tentoze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Florida Piney Woods
    Posts
    973
    I've only heard the 2 cuts on Davey's comp, and I ain't so sure I'm ready to trade in my sliced bread yet.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

  6. #6
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    I've only heard the 2 cuts on Davey's comp, and I ain't so sure I'm ready to trade in my sliced bread yet.
    I heard a cut (don't know which one) on the radio a few weeks before everyone started talking about them around here.. but, I just remember thinking WTF?!? .. but, after listening to the whole album, they pieces fall together a bit more. I have to admit, taken out of context, the songs are pretty bizzarre. In all honestly, I don't know how I could possibly fit them onto a comp, because I can think of any bands that would go on either side of them.. Postal Service maybe? I don't have any Postal Service though.

    -jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

    I tweet @masonjarjar

  7. #7
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    NP: Earlimart - Treble & Tremble (which just may be good enough to challenge Blueberry Boat for my best of '04, or at least place very highly in my top ten)
    So how does that whole Elliott Smith aspect to the album play out? Is it very overt? For those not in the know, the singer/songwriter for Earlimart was Elliott Smith's neighbor and good friend and this album is something of a tribute to him. Even the cover seems to be inspired by ES with "XOXO" underlining the simple drawing. What little I've read about it suggests it may be a bit more dynamic than the last one...is that true Sloshy? I liked the last one but it just never snuck all the way into my heart because I think it was just too non-dynamic. I guess that's what bothered me about the last Grandaddy album as well, compared to The Sophtware Slump which I thought was more balanced. Guess I'm just really getting back into dynamics in music the last couple years and that's why all the albums from bands like Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire and The Fiery Furnaces and the Honeydogs have been knocking me out. Still like the gloom and doom, but just not as a steady diet

  8. #8
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    So how does that whole Elliott Smith aspect to the album play out? Is it very overt? For those not in the know, the singer/songwriter for Earlimart was Elliott Smith's neighbor and good friend and this album is something of a tribute to him. Even the cover seems to be inspired by ES with "XOXO" underlining the simple drawing.
    How the hell should I know? I don't even have any Elliot Smith albums. It is dedicated to him, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    What little I've read about it suggests it may be a bit more dynamic than the last one...is that true Sloshy? I liked the last one but it just never snuck all the way into my heart because I think it was just too non-dynamic. )
    Yes, that's true. Naturally they're gonna get compared to Grandaddy and I'd say it's somewhere between Slump and Sum. There are definitely more upbeat, and even a few rawkin' songs here. There's still a lot of acoustic based sounds fleshed out with synths, which they do so well IMO. I like it more than Everyone Down Here but the funny thing is it somehow made me see Everyone in a new light and I appreciate it even more now. I'll have to get my hands on some of their earlier albums, which I've read are supposed to be more garagey.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  9. #9
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Registered Member Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    ...I just remember thinking WTF?!? .. but, after listening to the whole album, they pieces fall together a bit more. I have to admit, taken out of context, the songs are pretty bizzarre.
    Nope, even in context, they're pretty bizarre.

    But remember who's talking -- bizarre==good.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    In all honestly, I don't know how I could possibly fit them onto a comp, because I can think of any bands that would go on either side of them..
    I think violent juxtapositions would rule the day. Put some Slayer on one side, and some Henry Mancini on the other. That'll win ya.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  10. #10
    AR Jumbo Member chrisnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    87
    Well going off the two tracks on Davey's comp (Lost Dog and Mason City) I'm somewhat conflicted too. I find the Dog thing mildly annoying but Mason City's great. How you'd introduce it in a comp remains a mystery to me but I think after Mason City I'd have a pause to reflect and then go back to first principles with something off Bonnie Prince Billys - I See A Darkness. But that could really suck so maybe Henry Mancini would be the ticket :-)

  11. #11
    Toon Robber tentoze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Florida Piney Woods
    Posts
    973
    A very interesting melding proposition there, chris- I wuz thinking Arthur Brown on one side and Andre Previn on the other........
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

  12. #12
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    In all honestly, I don't know how I could possibly fit them onto a comp, because I can't think of any bands that would go on either side of them.
    On a comp-in-progress I have "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" nestled between Earlimart's "Unintentional Tape Manipulations" and Modest Mouse's "The View" and it flows quite well, although I did lop off the first part of the song to get there.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  13. #13
    very clever with maracas Davey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on some faraway beach...
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by bozos known as chrisnz and tentoze
    How you'd introduce it in a comp remains a mystery to me but I think after Mason City I'd have a pause to reflect and then go back to first principles with something off Bonnie Prince Billys - I See A Darkness. But that could really suck so maybe Henry Mancini would be the ticket :-)

    A very interesting melding proposition there, chris- I wuz thinking Arthur Brown on one side and Andre Previn on the other........
    I thought Mason City into Wheat's Body Talk was genius. Inspired. The perfect flow. Match made in heaven. If I could just find that emoticon with the guy dropping trou.....oh wait, there's my buddy....


  14. #14
    Toon Robber tentoze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Florida Piney Woods
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I thought Mason City into Wheat's Body Talk was genius. Inspired. The perfect flow. Match made in heaven. If I could just find that emoticon with the guy dropping trou.....oh wait, there's my buddy....



    It did work, Davey. But it never hurts to drill some different holes around the original well and see what you find.................

    BWAHAAAHAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Tunesday Spin Cycle
    By Davey in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
  2. Juicy Music BlueBerry and Peach tube preamps
    By daddydee in forum Amps/Preamps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 08:43 AM
  3. Need advice on boat speakers
    By bp238 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook