Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

The Reminder by Feist

I asked Santa for this disk and he delivered (that Santa is a good man!). Having only heard two songs from this disk, one of them being the 1234 iPod commercial that I've grown sick of, I was expecting something a little poppy and radio friendly. But I've read so many good reviews that had made me curious about this CD that I decided it was worth asking Santa to take a risk.

This CD is not at all what I expected. It is so much better!!! The songs are much more mellow and complex. The melodies are very nice. Feist's voice is much better than I expected it to be. Overall, after one spin I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. After the second spin, the hooks were setting in. 1234 is the song on the disk that is getting the most attention due to the iPod commercial, yet I think that its one of the weakest songs on the disk (it could just be that I feel that way because I am so damn tired of it).

I posted my top CDs of 2007 and said that the list was fixed unless I got something that really stands out for Christmas. This CD might just become that stand out disk to make me change my list.

Also from Santa is the new Bedouin Soundclash CD, Street Gospels. But I haven't had a chance to listen to that one yet.

Yea, it is much better than that song. Turning into one of my favorites this year too, even though it does sound like a low bitrate mp3. I put a song on my holiday mixer and wrote something similar to your post in the description ...

7. Feist - The Park
    Seems to really be the year for Feist with the release of her second album The Reminder. The Broken Social Scene debut from a few years ago is a big favorite of mine, but this is the first of the offshoots from that band that I've tried. And it is very good. We've probably all seen the iPod commercial with the video for "1-2-3-4" way too many times now, and from that it would be easy to dismiss her as just another lightweight pop singer providing the backdrop to a conversation over coffee at Starbucks, but that's no fault of hers. It's a fun song. And it's from a very accomplished record, exploring the conflicts of love with timeless music. And on her own terms.
    Last edited by Davey; 12-26-2007 at 11:15 AM.

I like it just fine, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I
    I posted my top CDs of 2007 and said that the list was fixed unless I got something that really stands out for Christmas. This CD might just become that stand out disk to make me change my list.
    ...it's not going to make my list of 2007 favorites. Good, yes, great....I don't think so.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...it's not going to make my list of 2007 favorites. Good, yes, great....I don't think so.
    Hmmm, how many greats did you hear this year? Must've been a lot more than I heard. We're still waiting for the list

Just kidding, I kind of agree, in a better music year I don't think this would've stood out with me. For example, while it does share some of the same sound, I don't think it's nearly the equal of the first BSS record. Or the Cat Power record from that same year. But that's unfair on my part since that was a great music year for me. I'd put it more inline with the Nina Nastasia On Leaving album from last year, not quite her best, and it also had the Albini touch so the sound is a million times better than this. Even so, I did kind of write it off at first, so it took awhile before I really started to appreciate it. Glad I gave it more of a chance, because it is very good. But yea, not great.

The tune "So Sorry" is on a comp I'm working on as we speak.

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

That's the likely problem that I'm having.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hmmm, how many greats did you hear this year? Must've been a lot more than I heard. We're still waiting for the list

Just kidding, I kind of agree, in a better music year I don't think this would've stood out with me. For example, while it does share some of the same sound, I don't think it's nearly the equal of the first BSS record. Or the Cat Power record from that same year. But that's unfair on my part since that was a great music year for me. I'd put it more inline with the Nina Nastasia On Leaving album from last year, not quite her best, and it also had the Albini touch so the sound is a million times better than this. Even so, I did kind of write it off at first, so it took awhile before I really started to appreciate it. Glad I gave it more of a chance, because it is very good. But yea, not great.
    Other than the Spoon cd, and maybe a couple others, nothing was as strong as I'd hoped this past year, and some were downright disappointing (where are the Decemberists when you really need them?).I felt that way about White Chalk, but I'm starting to like it more and more, and I still feel that way about the latest from Interpol. Editors was decent, but a drop off from the last....I suppose this one could grow on me, but I just don't have enough to warrant a top 10 list. Maybe a top 3 or 5, then I list of those that were just mediocre.

Swish - hoping for a brighter 2008
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Swish - hoping for a brighter 2008
    Hope this isn't thought a thread crap, some of those Canadians can be a little overly sensitive (if you know what I mean), but this is turning into one of my favorites right now and does make me forget all about Feist ...

Life Without Buildings - Live at the Annandale Hotel

Not sure this counts, although it is a 2007 release, and I do wish it was a new record, not just a live version of their one and only Any Other City release, but what a great band and record that was, and they were apparently pretty hot live too based on this. And it does have an unreleased song on it. I've said it before, but they were kind of like the Feelies fronted by a slightly neurotic sounding woman with a child-like voice and a fragmented, stream of consciousness delivery. Enchantingly unique sound, and some great songs. Makes me kind of sad, but still very happy that someone was able to put this together and get a wide-scale release for it five years after the band decided to call it quits. Only $11 postpaid from the US label, Absolutely Kosher. It was a fun Christmas gift from me to me

I'd be sensitive too if I lived in Canada. They have such...

Hope this isn't thought a thread crap, some of those Canadians can be a little overly sensitive (if you know what I mean), but this is turning into one of my favorites right now and does make me forget all about Feist ...

Life Without Buildings - Live at the Annandale Hotel

Not sure this counts, although it is a 2007 release, and I do wish it was a new record, not just a live version of their one and only Any Other City release, but what a great band and record that was, and they were apparently pretty hot live too based on this. And it does have an unreleased song on it. I've said it before, but they were kind of like the Feelies fronted by a slightly neurotic sounding woman with a child-like voice and a fragmented, stream of consciousness delivery. Enchantingly unique sound, and some great songs. Makes me kind of sad, but still very happy that someone was able to put this together and get a wide-scale release for it five years after the band decided to call it quits. Only $11 postpaid from the US label, Absolutely Kosher. It was a fun Christmas gift from me to me
    ...high taxes, cold weather, and drink lousy beer. Heck, I'd be downright pissed off and not just sensitive.

Swish

I'd be sensitive too if I lived in Canada. They have such......high taxes, cold weather, and drink lousy beer.
    Yea, I can understand an aversion to high taxes and cold weather, but all kidding aside, you're really here to tell me you aren't a fan of Labatt Blue Beer? Huh? I thought you were a real beer drinker.
    Last edited by Davey; 12-26-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Feist: 2007 Yin&YAng Award

Yea, it is much better than that song. Turning into one of my favorites this year too, even though it does sound like a low bitrate mp3...
    Jah, I've said this before...a disc of great music done an injustice by very poor sonics. A good listen for the car though...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Jah, I've said this before...a disc of great music done an injustice by very poor sonics. A good listen for the car though...
    I borrowed this CD and I must say I agree, and what a shame too.

Suspended
    I didn't know if Feist was her name or the name of the band, but when I saw her on SNL, and this is the truth, she looked like a young Patti Smith. I love her singing voice and my ears tune right in when the iPod commercial comes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by FA
    On the other hand...we do have a Tim Horton's on almost every street corner
    What IS Tim Horton's anyway. When I watch hockey games I always see their sign on the boards, but I never knew what it was. An eatery of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I didn't know if Feist was her name or the name of the band, but when I saw her on SNL, and this is the truth, she looked like a young Patti Smith. I love her singing voice and my ears tune right in when the iPod commercial comes on.
    Her actual name is Leslie Feist, but she just uses Feist. I never really noticed it before but I can see where you're getting the Patti Smith resemblance from. Actually, I always thought she looked a lot like my friend Archie (short for some long Greek name that I can never remember).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    What IS Tim Horton's anyway. When I watch hockey games I always see their sign on the boards, but I never knew what it was. An eatery of some kind?
    Tim Hortons is Canada's national addiction. It's a donut shop. I think that the US equivalent would probably be Dunkin Donuts. Tim Horton's is known for their coffee (and they make the best hot chocolate on the planet). They've built a loyal following and have become a national institution. They outsell McDonalds for food and Starbucks for coffee. They have done an outstanding job in branding and marketing their product as part of the Canadian lifestyle. In fact, I'm drinking one right now! It's a great business story!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons
    http://www.timhortons.com/en/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    And, of course, we're the home of the aforementioned BSS and Feist
    You also have Octoberman from Vancouver. Still new so giving it some more time to gestate, and ripen, and ferment, and age gracefully under my skin before declaring my unabashed love. Title track below (crappy 128K). Does sound a bit like Josh Ritter and some of the same people that come up in that discussion, most notably Richard Davies if me and Slosh are the ones talking. Speaking of the long lost Davies, still hoping he finds a label for his new record "Tonight's Music", which I've read has been done for a while now. I know he's been touring some and getting back into the music scene.

http://www.toolshed-media.com/ts/oct...rom-safety.mp3

Thread Information