Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Recent purchases

It's only May and 2007 is turning into a stellar year for music, IMO. Just in the last week I've purchased...

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
    The Fratellis - Costello Music
    Bright Eyes - Cassadega
    Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

And at lunch time I'll be walking over to Future Shop to pick up, Maximo Park's Our Earthly Pleasures, which is being released today.

I think that I've already bought more music this year than I did all of last year.

There is a Purchasing freeze at our house. We don't buy anything that we'll have to carry back out.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rae
    Yesterday I picked up the following (all on vinyl):

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead 12"
    The dB's - Like This (finally)
    Donny Hathaway - Everything is Everything
    Siouxsie & the Banshees - Once Upon a Time: The Singles

...but none of that is new stuff. I've been pretty light on 2007 releases.

~Rae

These two come to mind:

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    These two come to mind:

What do you think of that Feist disk? She's Canada's new Darling and was on our local morning show this week. I only saw her perform one song, but it was pretty darn good. I also saw her with Broken Social Scene a couple of years ago and was also impressed by her performance there. But I've also heard some stuff by her that I didn't like so much.

My recent purchases are...

Decemberists - both Her Majesty and The Tain to complete my collection
    The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God - remastered with 6 bonus tracks
    The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
    Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
    Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - had a 'preview' copy of mp3s but needed the real deal
    Richmond Fontaine - Thirteen Cities - paid thru the nose for the import version because I couldn't wait for the US release
    Wilco - Sky Blue Sky - pre-ordered from Amazon. Wilco is always MUST HAVE status
    The National - Boxer - also pre-ordered from Amazon. Another on permanent MUST HAVE status.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I've been finding quite a lot this year to enjoy. My most recent pirchasing spree was this past weekend when I grabbed...

Los Straightjackets: Rock en Español, Vol. 1
    Excellent album of Spanish language versions of classic rock 'n' roll tunes. Hard not to smile when Dizzy Miss Lizzy gets reworked into El Microscopico Bikini. This one was perfect for the Cinco De Mayo celebrations.

Southern Culture on the Skids: Countrypolitan
    Another cover album, this time mostly country tunes but with a couple oddball selections like T Rex's Life's A Gas. I've been kinda disappointed in these guys since the very good Dirt Track Date, but I'm digging this one.

Cocorosie: The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn
    I've only heard their first two albums at a friend's house in the background, but was always intrigued by what little I did hear. Folky, electronic weirdness. Alternately sparse and cluttered. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I’ll get a lot of listens out of it. (free MP3s with vionyl purchase)

Dntel: Dumb Luck
    It's been a while for these guys. Maybe not as cohesive as Life Is Full of Possibilities and also not quite as sedate, although still way more laid back than projects like Postal Service. Excellent electronic stuff here. (Free MP3s with vinyl purchase)

And I also picked up a used copy of Lenny & The Squigtones. Any of you think Spinal Tap was Michael McKeon's first musical parody needs to get a listen of this one...even features Nigel Tufnell of guitar.

It's a sickness!

So, while I was buying the new Maximo Park, I also happened to pick up:

Chilliwack's Greatest Hits
    Radiohead - OK Computer (I might already have this at home, but I'm not sure)
    AC/DC - The Razors Edge

All on sale for 3/$25. If I have the Radiohead, I'll go back and exchange it for Interpol.

Oh, and in my first post I was only listing the 2007 stuff I've bought this week. I also ordered another Bright Eyes disk from Amazon, that should arrive today along with my PT disk. So, that puts me at 10 CDs since Saturday.

I have a six hour flight tomorrow and returning on Sunday, so at least I'll have lots of listening time.

Since May 1

Warren Zevon ~ Preludes & Rarities

Greg Brown ~ Slant 6 Mind

Greg Brown ~ Hills of California

Lee Hazlewood ~ Cake and Death

Brandi Carlile ~ The Story

Brandi Carlile ~ S|T

Midlake ~ The Trials of Van Occupanther

The Band ~ Best of A Musical History

Blackie & The Rodeo Kings ~ Le's Frolic Again

Last Town Chorus S\t

FA is right it is a sickness,when will I ever listen to them all?The thing is,if it has been released it is on sale at Future Shop or CD Plus. A grat source is the local indie store,Back Alley Music.A lot of you would love this place.loads of cds,vinyl and even cassettes.
    JD and Tozer have heard me go on about this place for years

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rae

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead 12"
    [/i]

~Rae
    Oooohhh that's a goo one. Dripping with atmosphere/ambiance.

As for me, I may be repeating myself here but...

Finally picked up the Davey favey; David Kilgour Frozen Orange - so fresh I haven't even listened to it yet...but I can't wait.

Other recent buys;

Neko Case - Blacklisted speaking of atmosphere.
    Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
    Kings of Leon - Because of the TIme
    The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

I am enjoying them all, especially Neko Case and Andrew Bird
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular

Some recent purchases

Bjork - Volta, too early to tell yet
    Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare, much better than the debut
    Kings of Leon - Because of the Times, their best yet IMO, much darker

And finally Wayne Robbins - Lonesome Sea. I only ordered this the other day and it's arrived in record time. It slipped off my wishlist back in 2005 and thanks to Davey boy it's resurfaced. it's got a 2007 UK distribution and I'm glad I picked it up, it's a real quality release the sort of CD you'll still be listening to in 2027.

Good to see some other firm favourites on peoples lists like Maximo Park, Midlake, Ricmond Fontaine and Feist, no sign of my DNTEL yet though.

Cheers
    Mike

Suspended
    I haven't bought any 2007 albums, well maybe, I bought the most recent Nelly Furtado which isn't bad for a Pop album.

I went to a record show Sunday. I bought on CD the first John Cougar: a Jimmie Smith, which turned out to be mono and Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow. Can you believe I had a couple of the singles off this album on comp albums but this is the first full Airplane.

On vinyl I bought Carole King's, Tapestry;
    A better copy of Yes, Fragile, than the one I have:
    Ozark Mountain Daredevils first album;
    Isley Brothers, Go All The Way
    a sealed copy of Maynard Ferguson, Blues Roar, which I've never heard before;
    Trooper, Thick As Thieves, features Regional classic track Raise A Little Hell:
    Rockwell, Captured, this was cheap and a friend told me his stuff was good and not to be compared to his one hit wonder, Someone's Watching Me, we shall see:
    Henry Gross, Love is The Stuff, sealed copy, again, I just took a chance, I haven't heard this album before either.

My friend that went with me brought me a bunch of vinyl I haven't had a chance to go through yet. He buys it and puts them on CD, then just gives the vinyl away. He is into oldies and not too picky about snaps & pops, so I'm not feeling too anxious, but, hey, it's free.

Whats up FA, You're right about 07 being great for new music, what with new Ozzy in
    a couple weeks, new Scorps out this week, AC/DC end of the year, Dream Theater,
    Velvet Revolver, It's all good.

Saxon..The Inner Sanctum
    Shadows Fall..Threads Of Life
    Night Ranger..Hole In The Sun
    Saliva..Blood Stained Love Story
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Suspended
    What year is the Saxon and Night Ranger from? I haven't heard anyone mention Saxon in years. I have one of their albums on vinyl but I can't remember the name. I like it a lot though.

Both were released last month, the Night Ranger is OK, the Saxon is very good.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    What do you think of that Feist disk? She's Canada's new Darling and was on our local morning show this week. I only saw her perform one song, but it was pretty darn good. I also saw her with Broken Social Scene a couple of years ago and was also impressed by her performance there. But I've also heard some stuff by her that I didn't like so much.
    So far I like it quite a bit. It's a bit more sparse than I thought it would be, so I'm still getting used to it.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Not very much yet for me, but some things on the horizon I'm looking forward to. So far ...

Sly & the Family Stone 7-disc box, very cool, still haven't even listened to it all, but sounds way better than any version I've heard before

Blonde Redhead - 23, just a great record, still has everything I love about them, very unique sound, totally enjoyable, might be my record of the year in a few more months if I haven't worn it out by then

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha, demo copy from one of my RR buddies, real copy on the way. Love this record. Bird probably can do no wrong by me at this stage. Way up there near the top of my artist of the new millenium list based on the last 4. Head to head with Kazu and the Pace brothers above for favorite listen right now. Both enchanting listens that linger long after.

Hood - Outside Closer, picked it up used cause I love the one that came before it, not quite as good, seems to wander around more, but I do like that sound

Electrelane - No Shouts, No Calls, on it's way so haven't heard the whole thing yet, but loved the downloads that I posted previously. Won't have the Albini touch, but still sounds sympathetic to that recording style. Hope it was mastered as well as the great sounding last two.

The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters, just ordered this one too, anxious to hear the real thing after listening a bit to some downloads. "And she would darken the the memory" really hooked me in a good way, like some of those droney anthems by Interpol, when they aren't being too mopey.

42 Regular
    So far, I am liking the new ones from Porcupine Tree, Arcade Fire and Andrew Bird...as I've mentioned in previous threads. There are some really great moments in all of them.

The jury's still out on the new Wilco. I'm liking it more than I did at first, but it just seems so...light. I'm having trouble sinking my (summer)teeth into it. Maybe my patience will eventually be rewarded. Maybe.

And I picked up an old fave from yesteryear, finally, on ceedee...Thick as a Brick. Ah, to be a pimply-faced 15 y.o. kid again, smoking a bong for the first time and discovering that crazy-ass album cover.

Thinking about getting that new BRMC disc, based on what I've heard so far...how you liking that one, Autumn?

NP: Paul Simon, Rhythm of the Saints
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Kind of a slow week for me musically speaking and I had already decided to take a trip up north to my hi-rez and classical source on Saturday. When the rush hour blues kicked in the quick, right turn to the indie store seemed like a good thing. You've got to eat a balanced diet and, besides, I was curious about some stuff.

Today's take:

My Mornig Jacket~Z
    The Arctic Monkeys~Favorite Worst Nightmare
    Amy Winehouse~Back To Black
    Meat Beat Manifesto~Actual Sounds + Voices
    Government Mule~High & Mighty
    Bebel Gilberto~Momento
    Karizma~A Mind of It's Own
    My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult~Confessions of a Knife
    Coleman Hawkins~The Hawk Relaxes
    Bright Eyes~Cassadega
    Ray Lamontagne~Trouble
    Bjork~Volta

...and I just got done spinning Los Straightjackets~Twist Party which has some pretty cool tunes to wear a bad suit and scarf La Grande avec fromage to even if at the end it starts to sound like the ghost of Bobby Pickett sodomizing Dick Dale a bit.

Even a moderate plundering over the weekend would make this a solid week for new tunes.

Cheers

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    Both were released last month, the Night Ranger is OK, the Saxon is very good.
    Amonth! Where did you hear about these? Is it the original members of NR? I'll check for the Saxon, I thought they might have been like most Metal bands of yesteryear and faded away to sell cars or something. Do you know how long since their album before this was?

Hey, there's a new guy on the board called "digital", he has a link to his website, I checked it out and there is a story about the new Rush album being released on a new format. I shouldn't bring it up because I just browsed it late and forgot most of it but it is suppose to have a 5.1 mix and I think some video. It sounded interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Amonth! Where did you hear about these? Is it the original members of NR? I'll check for the Saxon, I thought they might have been like most Metal bands of yesteryear and faded away to sell cars or something. Do you know how long since their album before this was?

Hey, there's a new guy on the board called "digital", he has a link to his website, I checked it out and there is a story about the new Rush album being released on a new format. I shouldn't bring it up because I just browsed it late and forgot most of it but it is suppose to have a 5.1 mix and I think some video. It sounded interesting.
    Yes, Night Ranger is back with singer Jack Blades, and Lead Shred Brad Gillis(Very under-
    rated)....Saxon had flown off the radar, but have been releasing material forever, there
    disc prior to Inner Sanctum, was 2002's Killing Ground, another must have for Rock
    guitar/Metal fans. Saxon's issue to me is, you have to get past the vocals, once you do,
    you'll see/hear, these guys really know how to play, and there 2 guitarists really have
    talent, right up there with Priests Tipton/Downing, give the new disc a listen, let me
    know what you think.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Canare Interconnects

I've got a couple mentioned in this thread included in my 2007 buying. Like Swish I'm waiting for THE NATIONAL! Also set for Moonbabies, Wheat, Postal Service among others this year.

Got that Twilight Sad that Davey's waiting on. Pretty cool in spots. My youngest asked what language the guy was speaking. For the record it's English with a heavy Glasgow accents.

VNV Nation - Judgement
    Clinic - Visitations
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder
    The Shins - Wincing...
    LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
    Blonde Redhead - 23
    Arcade Fire
    Andrew Bird - I got that preview copy and it didn't really grab me too much. After sitting in the visor holder for a month I pulled it out again and now it's one of my faves of the year and will be tough to knock out of the top ten. I always skip track five and skipping a track is never a good sign for a potential album of the year but top 10 is doable.

Got the first Feist album and love about half so I'm uncertain about the new one.
    DNTEL - that Nobody grabbed too. I'm really digging it a lot.

oh yeah, and Love Of Diagrams.

That's all I can recall for 2007 but it's a pretty decent start.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 05-11-2007 at 09:25 PM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Rae
    Again, not 2007 releases but today I picked up:

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Any More
    Phil Ochs - In Concert
    Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever (4 LPs!!!)
    Safety Last - s/t EP
    James White & the Blacks - Contort Yrself 12"

and from the dollar bin:
    Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - I Love Rock & Roll
    New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle 12"

Yep, it's a sickness.

~Rae

Here's what I purchased today (all ceedee):

(1) Amy Winehouse -- Back To Black (thanks again, Rae!)

(2) Macy Gray -- BIG

(3) Warren Zevon -- Preludes

Only have listened to the Amy Winehouse...can't take it out of the player so the others may have to wait until later this weekend...

:-)
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Suspended
    The Saxon album I have is Strong Arm of the Law. I checked out some samples and it's amazing how they kept their same sound over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information