• Beastie Boys

5 71.43%
  • Run-DMC

2 28.57%
    Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Rave Recs Favorites Contest: Beastie Boys v. Run-DMC

Match 2, Rap/Hip-Hop Division: Beastie Boys v. Run-DMC

Polls close 4/22.

NOTE: In the event of a tie, responses are encouraged. If I get a tie based on number of votes, I'll decide matches based on number of responses--only one per person, so don't try stuffing the ballot box, ya bastages. ; p
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Beasties because...

I own more BB's material and have listened to BB's WAY more frequently than Run DMC.

(is there an echo in here?)

They're the Kings of Rock
    There is none higher
    sucka MCs better
    call them sire!

Beastie Boys need to stick to polishing those Adidas so the boys can get on stage and do their thing.

RUN DMC by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    RUN DMC by a mile.
    You're insane. Just thought I'd let you know.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Yes...I am insane.

RUN DMC still kicks ass.

Run DMC was fightin' the system while the Beastie Boys were still fightin' for their right to party. I have one Beastie Boys CD that I never listen to while I always drag out Run DMC.

So...while your taste in avatars is beyond reproach, your taste in rap blows. Then again, there's always that insane thing.
    Last edited by nobody; 04-21-2004 at 10:12 AM.

Yes...I am insane.

RUN DMC still kicks ass.

Run DMC was fightin' the system while the Beastie Boys were still fightin' for their right to party. I have one Beastie Boys CD that I never listen to while I always drag out Run DMC.

So...while your taste in avatars is beyond reproach, your taste in rap blows. Then again, there's always that insane thing.
    Well, Run DMC may still kick ass, but the Beastie Boys completely rule. Paul's Boutique crushes anything Run DMC did. Fightin' the system? They wrote songs about shoes and nursery rhyme characters.

I have one Run DMC CD that I never listen to while I always drag out the Beasties. And yes, there is that insane thing again.

Mr. Beyond Reproach Avatar

Hey, any decent shows coming to Lansing any time soon?

Actually the Dirtbombs are gonna be in town Friday night. They're one of them Detroit garagey things. The guy who fronted the Gories is in it.

If you feel like headin' over, let me know. We can drink beer and listen to some Run DMC beforehand. And, yeah, they were mostly party songs, but they did get socially concious on tunes like Proud to Be Black and others. Besides, those hats and gold chains was funky fresh.

I'm getting outta Lansing soon. As soon as the job hunt turns something decent up, I'm back to St. Lou.

Actually the Dirtbombs are gonna be in town Friday night. They're one of them Detroit garagey things. The guy who fronted the Gories is in it.

If you feel like headin' over, let me know. We can drink beer and listen to some Run DMC beforehand.
    I may do that. I'll let ya know. I asked the gf to go see Kill Bill Vol. 2 this weekend, so it'll depend on when she can get a babysitter for that. If it's not Friday night, I'll likely head over your way.

I'm getting outta Lansing soon. As soon as the job hunt turns something decent up, I'm back to St. Lou.
    Takin' the wife with ya? She graduating in May?

She's actually moving next week. She's finished with classes. She just has to do a mandatory internship, which she's doing back home. I'm following whenever possible. Job market blows, but I got a couple leads, just people dragging their feet. I gotta work until she passes the bar and starts making those big lawyer bucks anyway. (course she'll probably end up making squat as a public defender or something like that)

Give me an email and let me know if you plan on heading this way.

[QUOTE=nobody]They're the Kings of Rock
    There is none higher
    sucka MCs better
    call them sire![QUOTE]

I'm the King of Boggle

There is none higher

I score eight points

On the word 'Quagmire'

Nyah nyah.

I don't like others.

Catchy tune, ain't it?

Is that the Beastie Boys rewrite?

At least you can't complain about them overplayin'.

What's Boggle anyway? Anything like Scrabble?

Yeah, it's on Hello Nasty. Can't even remember the tune at the moment, haven't pulled that one out in awhile. Hey, the Beasties' cover of 'Slow And Low' was just as good, if not better, than the original. The thing is, Raising Hell was a visionary record. Today it sounds dated. Paul's Boutique was a visionary record and...it doesn't sound dated at all. To me, anyway. I've always felt Run-DMC's work fell off after Tougher Than Leather. The last couple of Beastie Boys recs aren't as good as the first three, but I don't hear the same kind of dropoff. And their first three are better than the best Run-DMC recs, I think. Between the influence of Rick Rubin, the fact that they started out as a hardcore band, and that they all play instruments, I think that the BBs' take on music itself is coming from a more evolved place--in general. They're still an influence on music that comes out today. I don't hear Run-DMC as a continuing influence. That doesn't make the BBs better, but I think it's a factor.

Yeah, Boggle's sorta like scrabble, with alphabetic instead of numerical dice, and a Yahtzee cup. You don't remember this game?

I don't like others.

Thread Information