Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Rave recordings??-well at least pretty good...

Today's mega thrift store score........

Santana-Moonflower
    Foreigner-4 (still in plastic)
    Foreigner-Records
    Genesis-Trespass
    Genesis-Genesis
    Steve Miller- Greatest Hits 74-78
    ZZ Top-Afterburner
    ZZ Top-El Loco
    Dan Fogelberg-The Innocent Age
    Doobie Bros-Best of
    Neil Young- Live Rust
    Steely Dan-Greatest Hits
    Yes-The Yes Album
    ELO-Greatest Hits NEVER OPENED-Worth Anything????
    Kansas-Best of
    Don Henley-Building the Perfect Beast
    Alan Parsons Project-I Robot
    John Lenon-Double Fantasy
    Bad Company-10 from 6
    Peter Gabriel-Shock the Monkey
    Elton John-Greatest Hits
    Jackson Browne-For Everyman
    CSN&Y-Deja Vu
    Billy Joel-Innocent Man
    Blood,Sweat and Tears-Blood Sweat and Tears
    Gerry Rafferty-City to City
    Jimmy Buffet-Havanna Day
    Harry Chapin-Greatest Stories Live
    Flying Burrito Bros-Gilded Palace of Sin
    Carole King-Simple Things
    The Big Chill Soundtrack
    Chicago-Chicago
    Eagles-Hotel California

Most ly 80's and greatest hits but still pretty good for 1 stop shopping at bargain prices......

This weekend I added;

Supertramp-Even in the Quietest Moments
    Loggins and Messina-Sitting In
    Graham Nash- Songs for Beginners
    Rush-Exit...Stage Left
    Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
    The Alan Parsons Project-The Turn of a Friendly Card
    Yes-90125
    Poco-Legend
    ELO's-Greates Hits
    Joe Walsh-Best of...
    Iron Butterfly- In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Anyone else having luck finding LP deals at their local thrifts?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Solid finds especially if they're in good condition. You were talkin' bout submitting something for the comp...I'd say the Genesis or Kansas would go over pretty well with this crowd. Mebbe Gabriel.

Of course, diversity is the key for a proper comp and who cares what everyone else thinks anyway. If it were me I'd throw in something from Blood Sweat and Tears or Poco.

Forever Autumn might want to listen to "Baker Street" for the six thousandth time.

Cheers

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Good choice in picking up some Carole King. I love Simple Things.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Solid finds especially if they're in good condition. You were talkin' bout submitting something for the comp...I'd say the Genesis or Kansas would go over pretty well with this crowd. Mebbe Gabriel.

Of course, diversity is the key for a proper comp and who cares what everyone else thinks anyway. If it were me I'd throw in something from Blood Sweat and Tears or Poco.

Forever Autumn might want to listen to "Baker Street" for the six thousandth time.

Cheers
    I am a big fan of Genesis myself, my wife had "Follow you, Follow me" inscribed on my wedding ring. Nothing to say I could not put more than one on the disc......

So far you and John Michael have responded and hopefully we will see what others will have to say.

All vinyl? wow...

I love that Gerry Rafferty City To City album.

I might recommend finding Kansas' album proper, as the Best Of is mastered pretty poorly.

Turn Of A Friendly Card should sound great, as well as I Robot.

I haven't heard many of these on LP. I used to own some of them. I had that ELO 'Greatest Hits' on LP way back when, but there is such a wealth of good ELO that never made it to that set, I wound up chasing the album propers down.

I never heard that first Genesis album, or the Santana LP, or the Graham Nash one. Deep cuts are usually a good idea for comps.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, nice list. Lots of favourites in there. In fact, I just picked up the Best of Joe Walsh on CD a couple weeks ago.

Ditto on what 3-LB said about Kansas. I don't know what's on their best of, but I'm willing to bet it's not what most fans would consider their best. Carry On Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind are excellent songs, but IMO were hits because they were short and radio friendly, but definately not Kansas' best.

Hmmmm. But I do believe that I'll spin Point of Know Return this morning.

I always kinda prefer Right Down the Line myself, but also enjoy that album.

I used to always find stuff in thrifts, but rarely find anything decent anymore. I'm not sure if its more people looking and picking everything out or just supply going down. Could be people know to sell albums to dealers if they have to dump a decent collection these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I used to always find stuff in thrifts, but rarely find anything decent anymore. I'm not sure if its more people looking and picking everything out or just supply going down. Could be people know to sell albums to dealers if they have to dump a decent collection these days.

E-bay

Okay were getting there.....
    Just stopped by the local SA on the way home from work and got the following;

Bob Dylan-Nashville Skyline
    Simon and Garfunkel-Bookends
    Beatles-Abbey Road
    Beatles-Hey Jude
    Neil Young w/Crazy Horse-Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon (Still has the posters and sticker sheet-worth anything?)
    Rolling Stones-Still Life(American Concert 1981)

Standard fare I know and I based on some Derek and the Dominoes, Pete Seeger, The Doors (Strange Days), Otis Redding and about half a dozen others. Why you may ask??
    Well the SA decided to hike the price of their albums to $5 a piece!!

At that price I had to make sure my selections were in very good condition. It is one thing to throw a dollar at something hoping it will clean up versus $5. I think at this point I will stick to the GW and other thrifts who selections are not as consistent but are still only a $1.

Anyway it looks like the votes are racking up for at least one song from Kansas. Is there a fav on that besides the obvious radio hits that you all would want?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Anyway it looks like the votes are racking up for at least one song from Kansas. Is there a fav on that besides the obvious radio hits that you all would want?
    Hey kid, yer not gettin' it buddy. The point of the thing is the surprise aspect. You send in your choice and we'll send in our selections and, voila!, one big sonic mish-mosh.

Hey kid, yer not gettin' it buddy. The point of the thing is the surprise aspect. You send in your choice and we'll send in our selections and, voila!, one big sonic mish-mosh.
    Got it now.........

Surprises on their way........

Added today.......

A very very good copy of Chicago Transit Authority,
    Moody Blues-Days of Future Past
    Virgil Fox-Back at the Filmore East

Suspended
    Kid, what town do you live in? I haven't found anything in this town's thrift stores in years. You did find some good titles. I don't think I'd pay $5 though. Maybe for the sealed ELO. The last thing I found at the thrift was a sealed copy of Candy Staten, incredible album.

I am in Va Beach and it has been pretty good pickings lately, mostly at the local SA. However the ones I picked up yesterday were found at some "antique" stores down in NC which I stopped at on my way down to pick up my TF-600's.

I agree with you about the $5. I have paid that much a couple of times but I have decided I will stopping buying at the local SA until they come back down to a $1 unless it is something in very good shape and/or extremely rare. They probably saw how many LP's were going out the door and figured they could jack the price. The really sad part is that they price them all at $5 regardless of condition. The local Goodwill and hospital thrift still sell for $1 but there selection has not been as good. Fortunately with my traveling so much I have taken to finding some of the GW or thrifts in the area I'm at and have been lucky on a couple of titles. My biggest worry is packing them in my luggage and hoping they don't get broke.

Suspended
    Who makes the tf600's? Are these speakers? How's are your electronics working out?

DCM makes the TF series. You can find reviews of the TF-600's on this site. I was unaware of them until I spotted some TF-500's on the local CL which I decided to pick up after becoming curious about them after reading some opinions on the Time Frame line.

The TF-500 had very good imaging and were very impressive. After doing some more digging I was able to purchase a pair of TF-600's for $125. I am not saying they are Hi-Fi speakers but I would say they are mid-fi and match my gear very well. Great speakers for classical, accoustic and light jazz. They are underappreciated IMO which helps keep their price down.

All the other gear is doing well and I will forever be in your debt for getting me started down the road with your help and advice. The Kenwood combo is a killer and the DAC even at the low price point I picked it up as is an improvement over my previous CDP's. I will try and post some photos of the "new" set-up when I get back next week.

During my trels this weekend I scored the following;

Three Dog Night-Joy to the World-Greates Hits (Hey I loved them when I was a kid..)
    The Byrds-Preflyte
    The Hollies-Romany
    Virgil Fox-In Concert
    America
    Uriah Heep-Live 1973 (Double record set)
    Wings-Band on the Run
    Emerson,Lake and Palmer-Pictures at an Exhibition

Nothing unusual except for probably the Virgil Fox disc.
    All of them in very good shape and best of all ran me about 75 cents a disc.

Suspended
    I like 3DN as well but it seems their albums don't sound that great, sort of muffled or muddy. I really like Uriah Heep.

Well these are rave recordings because their condition is unbelievable!!
    Could probably E-bay 2/3 of them and score $10 a piece based on their conditon. Jackets and sleeves are in very good conditon-to near mint and the vinyl itself is even better!!!
    Not a single hint of a scratch or blemish on ANY of them!!

Beatles-Revolver
    Beatles-Let It Be
    Beatles- The White Album
    Allman Bros-Eat A Peach
    Allman Bros- At Fillmore East
    Tom Waits- Heartattack and Vine
    Tom Waits- Nighthawks at the Diner
    Tom Waits- Swordfishtrombones
    Tom Waits-Closing Time
    Tom Waits- The Heart of Saturday Night
    Tom Waits-Foreign Affairs
    Bob Dylan- Bonde on Blonde
    Bob Dylan- Blood on the Tracks
    Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisted
    The Byrds-Greatest Hits
    The Byrds- Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    Bruce Springsteen- The Wild,The Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle
    Bruce Springsteen-Born in the USA
    Bruce Springsteen-Greetings From Asbury Park
    Bruce Springsteen- The River
    Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska
    Bruce Springsteen- Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
    CCR- Willy and the Poor Boys
    CCR-Bayou Country
    Big Brother & the Holding Company- Cheap Thrills
    Big Brother & the Holding Company- Pearl
    Big Brother & the Holding Company-Big Brother & the Holding Company-featuring Janis Joplin
    Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet
    Carol King-Wrap Around Joy
    Animals-The Most of
    The Band-Rock of Ages
    Procol Harum-Whiter Shade of Pale
    Joni Mitchell-Court and Spark
    Mammas & Pappas-If you Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
    Van Morrison-Tupelo Honey
    Stevie Ray Vaughan-Could'nt Stand the Weather
    Rod Stewart-Every Picture Tells A Story
    Donovan-The Hurdy Gurdy Man
    John Mayhall w/Eric Clapton-Blues Breakers
    Buffalo Springfield-Again
    Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow
    Canned Heat-CookBook
    Joe Cocker-With A little Help From My Friends
    Simon&Garfunkel-Wed Morning 3am

Today's haul on a rare day off.....
    Several of them were stamped on the cover as promotional records not for resale-Is this unusual or just some meaningless stamp someone put on the cover

Bob Seger-The Distance The cover says property of Capitol Records-Promotional Uses Only
    Bob Seger-Against the Wind
    Bob Seger-Live Bullet
    The Police-Regatta de Blanc
    Nilsson-The Point
    Stevie Wonder-Songs In the Key of Life
    Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Marvin Gaye-What's Going On
    Blondie-Eat to the Beat
    Peter Gabriel-Promotional Single 45 rpm contains Big Time,In Your Eyes and We Do What We Are Told
    Falco-Promotional Record

Suspended
    Live Bullet, a must for any music lover. If that don't get you movin' some one had better check your pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Live Bullet, a must for any music lover. If that don't get you movin' some one had better check your pulse.
    Yeah and I am little partial to Bob Seger since he is from SE Michigan which is what I consider my ancestral home turf. Despite having lived here in VA for 30+ years I still tell people I am from Michigan.

I think that "Live Bullet" completes my vinyl collection of all the early Bob Seger albums/material.

What crowd are you talking about?

Cheers
    I think you have us mixed up with Rocky Road. This is Rave Recordings. I realize both can be called RR, so you must have hit the wrong link on your PC. This is the land of Indie hipsters, not classic rock throw-backs with those nasty middle-aged pony tails that can be likened to the dreaded red-neck mullets of yore.

Swishkabob
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Several of them were stamped on the cover as promotional records not for resale-Is this unusual or just some meaningless stamp someone put on the cover
    I don't buy vinyl but I have come across this on CDs. A couple of years ago I ordered a CD directly from a small indie record label. When the CD arrived, it had "for promotional use only" printed right on the insert. I emailed the company and complained that they were charging me for a promotional CD. The reason that they gave me was that the CD was currently out of print and they only had a few promotional copies left in stock until they reprinted the disk. Then they tried to tell me that this could make the CD more valuable to collecters in the future. Yeah, whatever.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information