Rae

Lola vs Powerman & the Money-Go-Round, pt. 1

Just saw Wes Anderson's new The Darjeeling Ltd today. Who knew that I already owned the soundtrack, years in advance of the film itself?

"Strangers" still sounded just about perfect, though.

~Rae

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    major Kinks play on the Rushmore soundtrack too...don't know if this was Wes Anderson, but Jason Schwarzman and that Anderson/David O. Russell- feel to it for sure. I am crazy for the early Kinks stuff lately...I mean Waterloo Sunset!? (from Something Else by...), c'mon! We almost went to see 'Darjeeling' tonite (@ the Lagoon) but went to Michael Clayton instead. I'll have to see Darjeeling now though. btw. Face to Face is also a fantastic album.

(edit: and btw, Michael Clayton is a really great movie.)

Interesting. I am curious to see the film, although I personally feel that Wes Anderson is making films that are just not nearly as good as the one prior...

My favorite is still BOTTLE ROCKET
    then RUSHMORE
    then TENENBAUMS
    then LIFE AQUATIC

...it's a chronological mess...he needs to go back to making films like BOTTLE ROCKET that are quirky, yet witty, and not just 'odd' just to be odd.

Rae
    Jonny, are you in Mpls?!!!??!

Darjeeling was at the Uptown. Much more appropriate... complementarily ornate.

Also saw Lust, Caution on this lazy Sunday. Less Kinks, but much more kinky.

~Rae

EDIT: [head-slapping] Oh, I just saw yr "Location: Twin Cities". Represent!

Lola continues to be in my top 2 or 3 Kinks albums ever, which is saying something. "Strangers" is probably the best Dave Davies song ever.

This was also the first true Kinks album I ever heard, when I was 10 or so, and it has stuck with me.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Mutant from table 9
    Wes Anderson and The Kink kinda makes good sense. The Kinks may best sum up my musical taste. For me they are the "other," in that I usually tend to gravitate towards the "other" band. Wes Anderson may be the "other" filmmaker.

For example, I don't like the Beatles, I love the Stones. I don't like Pink Floyd, I love Velvet Underground and Lou Reed. Don't like Zepplin, I love Rush. Don't really like the Sex Pistols the Clash, I love the MC5 and the Ramones. Don't like The Who, but I love The Kinks. And for my money, The Kinks reign supreme in the British Invasion.

Maybe its just my Kontrarian nature. But even within the Kinks Katalogue I listen to the 70's and 80's albums much more than the 60's golden age. Think Visual, Sleepwalker, Word of Mouth, and Misfits are all wonderfully underrated and forgotten gems.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Thread Information