Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

If you could have only one Satchmo

Do you dabble in several genres? Do you have a couple Miles Davis and Coltrane titles in the jazz section of your collection? Do you have a turntable?

I just received Classic Records' 45 Series special two-sided pressing of Satchmo Plays King Oliver w/St. James Infirmary and I Ain't Got Nobody and WOW does it blow my socks off. I think the whole album is like $50.00 and now I wish I had gotten it. I highly recommend this special two-sided pressing (for around $13), especially for those who dabble in jazz but prefer some other genre.

I sat my wife down and had her listen to St. James Infirmary and when it was over she exhaled like she had been holding her breath the whole time. I usually don't bother her with my music.

That sounds very interesting.

Can't beat Satchmo for getting every once of emotion out of any song he does. The only "modern" musician/singer that comes close IMHO would be Joe Cocker when he's on his game.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    here's a link to music direct, blues man:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...LCLA91058%2F45

Acoustic Sounds has it too. Music Direct's price is lower, but Acoustic Sounds' shipping charges are generally cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    That sounds very interesting.

Can't beat Satchmo for getting every once of emotion out of any song he does. The only "modern" musician/singer that comes close IMHO would be Joe Cocker when he's on his game.
    Tom Waits?

I don't like others.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Tom Waits?

How did I forget Tom.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    here's a link to music direct, blues man:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...LCLA91058%2F45

Acoustic Sounds has it too. Music Direct's price is lower, but Acoustic Sounds' shipping charges are generally cheaper.
    I was going to order this based on your recommendation (especially considering the exchange rate right now) but their outta stock. Damn I keep checking. I'll check the AS site. Thanks

Hard question. I have a moderate sized stack of Louie Armstrong records at home, even a couple albums full of 78s. But, I don't have much that would really be considered definitive, except the Hot 5s and 7s box, which would certainly be in the running I'd guess.

But, ya know, the one I probably play more than any of the rest is the one where he does nothing but covers of Fats Waller called Satch Plays Fats.

I also play the good ol' Verve Greatest Hits a ton.

And, of course, Ella & Louis always hits the spot...

I doubt I'd spring for the 45 RPM stuff, but I may have to hunt down a copy of Satchmo Plays King Oliver sometime.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

hey nobody

where do you live? it says you have 78s, wnat some more? if you live in the LA area you can have a bunch free! about 100 12" classicals and some pop including an elvis.
    ...regards...tr

Unfortunately, I'm landlocked in the midwest, St. Louis. And, I know those suckers are way too heavy to ship en masse. But, thanks for offering 'em up.

Thread Information