Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Quick! 11th hour year end recs

Anyone?

No indepth reviews necessary. I think we're all familiar enough to have an idea what kinda music each other digs, what's left of us anyway.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    Anyone?

No indepth reviews necessary. I think we're all familiar enough to have an idea what kinda music each other digs, what's left of us anyway.
    Steven Wilson's Grace Before Drowning, or whatever it's called. Grace Under Pressure? Say Grace Before Playing This Disc? I dunno.

Rae
    With an extremely cursory glance through my records/tapes, it looks like I bought 16 releases from 2011...? So I can just list em all, in rough order of how obsessed I was with them from top-left to bottom-right:

~Rae

Last Minute Shopping

Anyone?

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow
    Karmakanic - In a Perfect World (it's like a solid Flower Kings CD!)
    Agree with the Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Anyone heard the new Steve Hackett? Should be on this list.
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
    Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow
    Karmakanic - In a Perfect World (it's like a solid Flower Kings CD!)
    Agree with the Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Anyone heard the new Steve Hackett? Should be on this list.
    got Grace For Drowning, its Wilson's best effort in a while, solo or PT

I dunno if I'm in the mood for Karmakanic

I've never been much of a Steve Hackett fan for some reason. I like a bunch of his songs, but I've found his albums quite uneven

I haven't considered Kate Bush in a while... is it a new direction for her?

ever listen to Phideaux, Barry?

For that matter, have you heard Hasse Fröberg's solo album, speaking of TFK?
    Last edited by 3LB; 11-24-2011 at 08:56 AM.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    worth the wait! iceage - new brigade Destroyer - Kaputt Grails - Deep Politics Helms Alee - Weatherhead

Not a new album per se, but rather a collection of b-sides and such from their tour CDs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick! 11th hour year end recs-road-atlas.jpg  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Forum Regular
    Apart from all the obvious ones, here's a few worth mentioning...

Noah & the Whale - Last Night on Earth
    James Vincent McMorrow - Early in the Morning
    Boxer Rebellion - The Cold Still
    Vetiver - The Errant Charm
    Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator

and finally my guilty pleasures
    Above & Beyond - Group Therapy
    Wailin' Jenny's - Bright Morning Stars

Cheers
    Mike

Rise Ye Sunken Ships. Cool title. By the now defunct Pela, who reformed as We Are Augustines. This one has been kind of addictive lately. Reminds me a little of what I loved about the first Old Canes record, that smell of Jeff Mangum in the room, but it was gone by the second time around. This has some of that, maybe some National, and something else kind of big, more epic rock sounding. A little menacing at times. Some good variety, but that something is still there throughout. Just got it so don't know how long that addictive feel will last. Might just be the weather. The song below isn't exactly representative of the whole, with a sniff of Men at Work, but isn't out of place. Review

I think the album opener Chapel Song below may have been used in a commercial for REI or something.

In the meantime, David Kilgour and the Heavy Eights Left by Soft has been playing whenever my car is running. Probably need to do something about that one of these days, but maybe not quite yet.
    Last edited by Davey; 11-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Bush, Phideaux, Froberg

ever listen to Phideaux, Barry?

For that matter, have you heard Hasse Fröberg's solo album, speaking of TFK?
    Funny you should ask. I downloaded Snowtorch 2 days ago. I don't find it as appealing or as interesting as Number Seven. I think I gave Number Seven my vote for best prog CD of 2009 or 2010. There's not enough variation in the two long songs. That said, I need to listen to it more. I still think it's a good album. I love the combination of melodies and layered textures.

I'm listening to The Great Leap right now. I like the album, but I Phideaux is an acquired taste. The musicianship is certainly excellent, and there is a lot of creativity. They are like the Talking Heads of prog - just a little bit off kilter and not right, but you want to hear more.

I also have the Froberg album. If you like the FKs, you won't be disappointed. Not as good as the Karmakanic.

BTW, this new Karmakanic is very listener friendly, not like their earlier more experimental stuff. If Stolt was playing and singing, it could easily be an FK album.

The Froberg album is weaker than the Karmakanic, but if you like this kind of music, you should enjoy it. I bought mine for $6 bucks at the last progrock records sale. Check them out. They are having a Black Friday weekend. You might be able to pick it up cheap.

The Kate Bush CD is for the most part a meditative new age record - very minimalist for the most part and repetitive acoustic piano. If ECM had a pop label, this would fit perfectly. Nonetheless, I love Kate's voice although there are some parts where I wish she would have done a retake. The duet with Elton is nice, but they really should have cut out both of their screeching vocals in the last 30 seconds for a much softer ending. Lyrically, it seems to be a song cycle about the mysteries of love and longing for love, with snow/winter as allegory. Overall, very artistic in a good way, and will go down as a classic in the Kate Bush catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Rise Ye Sunken Ships. Cool title. By the now defunct Pela, who reformed as We Are Augustines. This one has been kind of addictive lately. Reminds me a little of what I loved about the first Old Canes record, that smell of Jeff Mangum in the room, but it was gone by the second time around. This has some of that, maybe some National, and something else kind of big, more epic rock sounding. A little menacing at times. Some good variety, but that something is still there throughout. Just got it so don't know how long that addictive feel will last. Might just be the weather. The song below isn't exactly representative of the whole, with a sniff of Men at Work, but isn't out of place.
    Good stuff, Dave. Sounds to me like The National mixed with The Dismemberment Plan.

NP:
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Oh my goodness, where to even begin. SUCH a great year for music. to start with, I can assure you that before the day is over I will have We Are Augustines ordered, nice rec Davey, thanks.

some of my faves this year are below and a couple of them have already been noted:

Bon Iver – Bon Iver

Boxer Rebellion – The Cold Still

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Hysterical

Cut Copy – Zonoscope

Death Cab For Cutie – Codes and Keys

The Decemberists – The King Is Dead

Dum Dum Girls – Only In Dreams

Elbow – Build A Rocket Boys

The Generationals – Actor Castor

Iceage – New Brigade

The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar

Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming - Do we have this years #1?

Mates Of State – Mountaintop - Local band made good

Snow Patrol - Fallen Empires

St. Vincent – Strange Mercy

Stephen Malkmus And the Jicks – Mirror Traffic

VNV Nation – Automatic - I'll be the only one here who like this : )

Washed Out – Within and Without

Wild Flag – Wild Flag

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I recommend a ton of stuff from this year, but I'll just toss out a couple I've been playing a lot over the last few days although I've probably mentioned them both before. Both are pretty straightforward and enjoyable, both pretty laid back:

Washed Out: Within and Without

J Mascics: Several Shades of Why

That Dum Dum Girls is really good too on a more rocking note.

3LB
    Barry, I actually like have the Hasse Froberg album and like it quite well. Reminds me of Paradox Hotel quite a bit. I have Phideaux's previous two albums and found Seven a tad samey, even with the remix Phideaux gave away on PE. I dunno if you were ever into National Health (I like some of their jazzier stuff), there's a new release by an Italian band Ske called 1000 Autumi that I like quite a bit (its mostly instrumental with some vocalization).

3LB
    In the relm of indy-pop, I've been enjoying Yukon Blonde (from last year). I only picked this up a few weeks ago, it being an Amazon rec because I purchased Zeus. Makes sense, since it shares the same sense of variety and pop craft as Zeus, maybe a bit of Morning Benders and The Shins. I've also been enjoying the latest from Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Belong, which is a better written effort than their debut.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I haven't bought a lot of new music this year. But from what I have bought, that I can remember off the top of my head...

I'm really digging that new Elbow, Build A Rocket Boys. It's not nearly as strong as Seldom Seen Kid IMO, but has some real growers on it.

Surprisingly, I really like Iron and Wine's, Kiss Each Other Clean. I've never been a fan of this band but after hearing a few tunes on the radio I decided to take a chance and wasn't disappointed. It's a beautiful album with some well written tunes and really beautiful harmonies.

I'm really looking forward to the new Arena release, Seventh Degree of Separation, but I can't recommend it since I haven't heard it yet.

The new Dream Theater, A Dramatic Turn of Events is very good although a little samey. But worth owning if you're a fan (I can't remember whether you're a fan).

Mars Hollow's, World In Front of Me is a decent listen. Although not the be-all and end-all that a certain Alaskan Stalker-chick would lead you to believe.

Those are all the recs that I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    Sounds to me like The National mixed with The Dismemberment Plan.
    Yea, I can kinda get on board with that, but I think the instrumentation and production moves it in a different direction. There are moments when they sound a bit like U2, as mentioned in that review. The Springsteen and U2 comparisons would bring to mind Arcade Fire, but they really sound nothing like AF. How is that Pela? I looked for it when I picked this up, but nothing in sight.

Been liking the Widowspeak debut a lot too. Nothing too original, but nicely done. Speaking of Mazzy Star, I heard they were getting back together for a record. I'd be interested in that, if it really happens.

A little along the same lines, also been liking the latest from Low, C'mon. A lot of this is autumnal music, so no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming - Do we have this years #1?
    I did give that a listen, and don't think I've made it to the second CD yet. I tend to lose interest somewhere along the way, though I like some of it, usually when it moves into more ambient backdrops and less of the foreground synth-pop. Gets a bit repetitive, I guess. Where do you listen to this, and do you just do it in bits and pieces? I probably like the style on Washed Out better, kind of gauzy and less pronounced, got some of that mid-90s Moby going on (I guess the first song must actually sample him, though I haven't checked credits).

Just noticed, but we sure are throwing up lot of "W" releases in this thread. Washed Out, We Are Constantines, Wild Flag, Wooden Shjips, Wilco, Wild Beasts, Steve Wilson, Wailin' Jennys, Widowspeak...did I miss any?

I'll toss out another recent "W" that's been getting some listening time along the same path as Washed Out, but that I probably like better overall...Walls - Coracle. Really a ton of good electronica out now, way way more than anyone could even try to keep up with, kind of hard to separate them from each other at this point. But the Walls is some good stuff. Seems more distinctive than most, though maybe just a style I like more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    How is that Pela? I looked for it when I picked this up, but nothing in sight.
    It's every bit as good as We Are Augustines, and you'll have it in a few hours ;-)

Actually, they're a bit samey to me from song to song but I still I like their sound and sensibilities. Good production values don't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    It's every bit as good as We Are Augustines, and you'll have it in a few hours ;-)
    Thanks, got em.

Yeah, I agree there is just so much electronic stuff coming out these days it's impossible to keep up with it all. And it all goes in so many different directions. I have to keep myself sometimes from just trying to give too much a listen and not giving individual releases enough of a chance. Speaking of..I tried that Walls and remember liking it OK but not being grabbed by it as much as Washed Out. I'll have to go give it another listen, maybe I just wasn't in the mood or paying enough attention or it got lost in the shuffle.

I still think my favorite electronic release this year may well be Nicolas Jaar: Space is Only a Noise. Really great stuff. Here's a track with a Ray Charles vocal that I believe is now in process of being removed from the album for copyright issues.

I tried with that M83 because I keep wanting to really like them. But for me, after Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts I've just never been able to really get into anything else. I really liked that one so I keep coming back but still haven't gotten involved in anything else they've done.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    ..I tried that Walls and remember liking it OK but not being grabbed by it as much as Washed Out. I'll have to go give it another listen, maybe I just wasn't in the mood or paying enough attention or it got lost in the shuffle.
    It is a little different. Like most modern electronica, the Washed Out CD is way too loud, I don't know why they do that with this type of music, hardly any dynamic range to start and then they make it all the same volume and give it such a restricted sound, losing a lot of the nuance and color the older stuff has. The Walls isn't quite as bad in that regard, but is still too loud. It is a great mix though, so really expands out into a big soundscape. Still, if I really wanna get lost in something, I'll usually go for something old, like Eno's Ambient 4 (like right now ).

Sean McCann - The Capital
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Ohh... I like both of those and need to go listen to Jeff the Brotherhood more.

I have the last Mystery CD but not the new one, with Benoit David on vocals. I like that a lot. Haven't heard the new one yet. The new Yes is good by recent Yes standards, but not very inventive given the potential talent in that group. Someone ought to slap them. Can't they just do one more grand masterpiece before they wrap it up?

The Spanish prog band RC2 is playing at OhioProg next year, so I pulled their album which I picked up on sale from ProgRock Records last year for another listen. Very much like Italian prog with English vocals. I'm liking some of it a lot. Glad I gave it another listen 'cause I filed it away in a box. Haven't heard Ske, and am unfamiliar with the music of National Health, but not their reputation. I was a big fan of Hatfield and the North in my teenage years, but never really got into Soft Machine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information