Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Plaxico Burress. What a dumbass!

So here we have a bona fide star of the NFL who caught the winning TD pass in last year's Super Bowl shooting himself in the foot...literally! Well, it was his leg, but foot makes for a funnier line.

Burress, like a number of other wide receivers, has always been a jerk, but this episode in New York could put him in jail. He takes a gun into a NYC nightclub and, when confronted by security, tries to unload it and accidentally shoots himself, then he refuses help and has a teammate take him to the hospital. He didn't hit bone or an artery, so he'll be fine physically, but his troubles are just starting.

A police investigation begins surrounding the discovery that Burress does not have a license to carry a firearm in New York. A conviction on a charge of illegal possession of a firearm in New York City carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years, thanks to strict gun legislation passed in 2006 and proposed by NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration. Reports surface that the weapon in question was removed from the scene by Pierce, an act that could come with an obstruction of justice charge for the linebacker.apparently got rid of the gun.

Sure, his attorney is saying he is innocent, but it looks really bad for him. Here's a guy with millions and, instead of just taking a body guard along or something, he carries a gun while drinking, and this could ruin his career. Yeah, he's a dumbass
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Yeah, a prince of dumbasses among many.

One of the things that nobody talks about when these things happen is how easy it is to get a concealed-carry license. Even in "Can Issue" states all one has to do is get the application and show that there is a reasonable circumstance...potential for kidnapping, carry large amounts of cash, etc. The whole process could be expedited and then when your dunbass shoots yourself in the foot you can wait for an ambulance instead of limping out into the night.

There was an article recently about NHL ticket sales starting to be competitive with NBA sales. I suspect that, at least in part, it's because folks are tired of reading about thug-like behaviour from spoiled millionares. This can be applied to the NFL too.

On topic for the mods:

NP:
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    It's getting painful to read these stories.

What I can't figure out is why the more clean-cut/straight edge guys in the game like LT and McNabb get absolutely eaten alive by their own fans when they are nothing but the heroes and role models everyone claims they want to see in the NFL.
    For all their flaws on the field, at least they haven't killed anyone, commited any felonies or bet on cock fights or anything (that we know of).

Bah. Must be the all that Chunky Soup.

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

he gots more dollars than sense

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I have to wonder what's going on with this guy. Its seems like a personality tranplant in the last year or so.

He is one of several professional athletes from this area who up until now managed to keep his name out of the papers, unlike Mssrs. Vick and Iverson also from this area. He used to come back to their area and quietly do some charity work without the usually "Hey look at me" attitude.

Hopefully this incident will be a wake up call but the track record for athletes who start down this road is not a good one......

Too bad he missed his head.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Troy- A little too harsh and a bit out of bounds even in jest.........

Suspended
    He'll be a Dallas Cowboy next year if he doesn't go to jail... wait, he'll still be a Dallas Convict even if he does go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    I have to wonder what's going on with this guy. Its seems like a personality tranplant in the last year or so.
    No, this sort of thing has been an on-going problem with this dude. He was ok last year, but only because Shockey got hurt and so Plaxico was featured more prominently in the offense. Go back two years before they won the Superbowl, back when they were Team Turmoil - Plaxico was in the thick of the crap flinging, only he wasn't as big a star as the main two slingers, Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey, so he didn't stick out as much. I was at the Seahawks game where he basically quit on the field. And this sort of crap got him run outta Pittsburg. He is a guy who just doesn't get it. The Giants should trade him immediately if he gets out of the jam he's in.

Suspended
    I'm with you on this one too. Save a bullet for Vick, Iverson and several others. I'm tired of Pro Sports being dominated by millionaire thugs who can barely sign their own name on the contract. Just more reasons why I WILL NOT purchase tickets and support these bums.

And how can you claim you are innocent of illegally carrying a firearm when the evidence is in your own leg. Save the taxpayers money and lock his stupid ass up now!

I'm thinking that pro sports should also include an IQ test and a background check besides the ability to play a game. McNabb included for his moronic understanding of overtime in the NFL.

I hear you on McNabb. Have you seen the charity...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    It's getting painful to read these stories.

What I can't figure out is why the more clean-cut/straight edge guys in the game like LT and McNabb get absolutely eaten alive by their own fans when they are nothing but the heroes and role models everyone claims they want to see in the NFL.
    For all their flaws on the field, at least they haven't killed anyone, commited any felonies or bet on cock fights or anything (that we know of).

Bah. Must be the all that Chunky Soup.
    ...work he's been doing with the help of his wife? Many athletes get involved, especially guys like L.T. and Albert Pujols, but not guys like Burress who, like many others, are all about themselves and have some sense of entitlement instead of gratitude for being paid so well to play a game. I know there are many sports agents who advise their clients to get involved with charities, but I highly doubt Plaxico's is one of them.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Forum Regular
    How anyone can watch the NBA is beyond me.

hockey is, in my opinion, the best sport. its about time ticket sales caught up with the nothing but a-hole league.

[QUOTE=bobsticks]
    There was an article recently about NHL ticket sales starting to be competitive with NBA sales. I suspect that, at least in part, it's because folks are tired of reading about thug-like behaviour from spoiled millionares. This can be applied to the NFL too.

The Barney Fife of the thug world?

I'm a Giants fan and even I say he's a jerk. Trade him to the C'boys ASAP.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I'm a Giants fan and even I say he's a jerk. Trade him to the C'boys ASAP.
    Jerry Jones is chomping at the bit... trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Jerry Jones is chomping at the bit... trust me.
    THEN who would Romo throw to first? Two babies crying that they never get the ball would work out great.
    The Giants did better this week without him.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Troy- A little too harsh and a bit out of bounds even in jest.........
    Get over it. If what I said was out of bounds for you, your bounds are WAY too small.

Trade him to the C'boys ASAP.
    Between TO, Roy Williams and Witten, the Cowflops are truly loaded at WR. They don't need Plax as much as, say, Philly does. And Reid has had criminals living under his own roof for years (his kids), so he shouldn't have a problem with Plax's attitude.

Plax is a bum who will never appear on a NY uniform again, and may be out of the NFL forever. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on way out.

Couldn't agree more on the first point. The second?

Get over it. If what I said was out of bounds for you, your bounds are WAY too small.

Between TO, Roy Williams and Witten, the Cowflops are truly loaded at WR. They don't need Plax as much as, say, Philly does. And Reid has had criminals living under his own roof for years (his kids), so he shouldn't have a problem with Plax's attitude.

Plax is a bum who will never appear on a NY uniform again, and may be out of the NFL forever. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on way out.
    I thought the 'too bad he missed his head' comment was a laugh riot. Witten is a tight end, not a wide receiver. To think the Eagles passed on him for L.J. Smith!

As for Andy Reid, an NFL coach's job is brutal, so I doubt he was around much to be of much help. Plus, they were adults, not 'kids' as you put it. How about the coach whose son committed suicide? Do we blame him for it? I don't think so.

Swish

Oh, I don't know about this part. Someone will take him. Even Vick will play again, why not this thug? Please don't let it be here though. Send him to the Lions for next year's number 1 pick.

He may have to wait until his prison sentence is completed.

Oh, I don't know about this part. Someone will take him. Even Vick will play again, why not this thug? Please don't let it be here though. Send him to the Lions for next year's number 1 pick.
    Like I said, it's a mandatory 3.5 year sentence, but his famous lawyer will probably be able to get him a deal cut. Happens all the time for the wealthy with no previous record.

I agree the Giants should sever their ties and get back their bonus money too.

Unfortunately, justice is for "just us" when it comes to the wealthy sometimes. (do I need a footnote here?) *

*Animal Farm.

Well, when you can afford the best defense attorneys..

Unfortunately, justice is for "just us" when it comes to the wealthy sometimes. (do I need a footnote here?) *

*Animal Farm.
    ...from large firms that have nearly unlimited resources to gather research and pick about the prosecution, they certainly stand a better chance of either getting off scot free or at least a reduced sentence. If I were that wealthy and in trouble, I'd certainly do the same thing, but it does raise a lot of issues.The most obvious example is O.J. Simpson, although Michael Vick didn't get off so easily.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ...from large firms that have nearly unlimited resources to gather research and pick about the prosecution, they certainly stand a better chance of either getting off scot free or at least a reduced sentence. If I were that wealthy and in trouble, I'd certainly do the same thing, but it does raise a lot of issues.The most obvious example is O.J. Simpson, although Michael Vick didn't get off so easily.
    Just curious, how does he plead Not Guilty when he DID have a gun and he shot himself? It should be about a 5 minute trial. Money or no money, this is a no brainer. He carried a gun illegally and that's it! Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not get off easy for a first offense.

Maybe he didn't know carrying a gun during overtime was illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    OJ didn't kill any dogs (that I know of). In this country, killing dogs is a way more serious offense than killing two people and chopping them up into shark chum.

I know that I was facing up to 10 years for the M-80 I was caught with back in 92. A plea bargain got me away with just a $1000 fine. If I had his money I'd spend some to get off with as little as possible. It's only human.

I still say, trade his @ss while he's still worth more than a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Just curious, how does he plead Not Guilty when he DID have a gun and he shot himself? It should be about a 5 minute trial. Money or no money, this is a no brainer. He carried a gun illegally and that's it! Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not get off easy for a first offense.

Maybe he didn't know carrying a gun during overtime was illegal.
    He needs to go get a valid NYC permit before it goes to trial. Then they explain how he didn't know that the permit he had didn't cover him in the city. A few promises, pleas bargains and fines later, he'll be back to work in no time.

Suspended
    He needs to go get a valid NYC permit before it goes to trial. Then they explain how he didn't know that the permit he had didn't cover him in the city. A few promises, pleas bargains and fines later, he'll be back to work in no time.
    Ignorance of the law should be no excuse. I have my permit to carry in PA and know that it ONLY covers PA. Maybe if the guy could actually read he may have been able to see what his permit covered.

I know if I get caught carrying to NJ, I would not have to surrender myself to the authorities, I would already be in jail. What would he plead if he shot the security guard and not himself?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information