PBS Frontline music industry documentary

I know this was a repeat, but I finally saw the Frontline episode on the music industry called "the way the music died." It was a very interesting look at how artists get packaged and marketed nowadays, and it also made some good points about all of the factors that have pushed the music industry to where it is now. Judging by how everything has converged, and how little attention gets paid to just identifying and releasing good music, it's easy to see that the music company ills are not by accident.

I especially found the behind the scenes marketing footage of Velvet Revolver and Sarah Hudson pretty eyeopening. Hudson seemed to have some talent, but that soundalike single that she got pushed into writing as the first release on her debut CD is so derivative and generic that it was sad to hear.

I'm also glad that Nic Harcourt (music director for KCRW in LA) was interviewed. The music programs on that station are just about the only saving grace in what has become a depressing wasteland on L.A. radio. Anyone interested in actually hearing music that's different and new should tune into their webcasts.

Anyway, here's a link to the program if anyone's interested in viewing it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/music/

And the link to KCRW ...

http://www.kcrwmusic.com

Unhappy Yeah it was quite sad...

I saw it the first time it aired. Her father was sooooo sad when he wished she'd had picked any profession other music. He made it sound like she was becoming a whore, which if you've ever signed the generic 3 album contract, that's exactly what you are. I've made 4 albums over the years, all sefl produced and sold, and I've about as much chance of getting signed and played over commerical radio as I do becoming Pope. Sigh... Gone are the days.

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I saw it the first time it aired. Her father was sooooo sad when he wished she'd had picked any profession other music. He made it sound like she was becoming a whore, which if you've ever signed the generic 3 album contract, that's exactly what you are. I've made 4 albums over the years, all sefl produced and sold, and I've about as much chance of getting signed and played over commerical radio as I do becoming Pope. Sigh... Gone are the days.

Da Worfster
    Worf,

What albums have you made? I mean, what style of music do you play (not that it matters)? Name of your band?

I'd be happy to check some of your music out. This is what this forum is all about. I love to hear new stuff. Of course, I'd pay you for it.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Red face Sorry this took so long Darren....

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Worf,

What albums have you made? I mean, what style of music do you play (not that it matters)? Name of your band?

I'd be happy to check some of your music out. This is what this forum is all about. I love to hear new stuff. Of course, I'd pay you for it.

Darren
    Been a little busy keepin my son occupied until school starts (thank God). My current band is called "Jocamo". We've an album out and are working on the second. You can see what we're about at:

www.heyjocamo.com

Thanks for the love and encouragement.

Da Worfster

Wholy...

Wholy thread Hijack and ressurection!!!!! Somebody slap this spamming fool with his links to spam and trojan filled, virus ridden FTP's and Bittorrent sites.

Worf

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I miss DarrenH. He turned me on to a lot of great music.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Thank God for spammers or I would not have seen this link on the older post.
    Liked what I heard-some of those bass lines would sound sweet on my new fav Polk 10's!
    I might have to download or pick-up a CD from you. Any recommendations??

Welp...

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Thank God for spammers or I would not have seen this link on the older post.
    Liked what I heard-some of those bass lines would sound sweet on my new fav Polk 10's!
    I might have to download or pick-up a CD from you. Any recommendations??
    Both Jocamo Albums are for sale. There's a download link on the front page of our website. The link still works. Thanks for the love keed.

Da Worfster

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I miss DarrenH. He turned me on
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information