the passage of my life is measured out in shirts

Sometimes Monday comes around and kind of feels like that line from Brian Eno's wonderfully zany "King's Lead Hat" that closes side 1 of the classic Before and After Science. Lots of crazy and cryptic imagery flowing from Eno's head.

But what I was wondering is, do events in your life ever make you think of songs? Lyric fragments or favorite lines or some other association? It probably only happens to those of us with certain brain disorders, I guess. No one will know what you're talking about if you try to relay to them one of those incidents

I just had one this morning is why I ask. Turned on the computer and saw that I had an email from a good friend that came in at around 1:40 AM this morning, so I'm wondering to myself (after starting to do a mental time zone calculaion and then remembering we're the same time ) what the heck is this person doing writing to me in the middle of the night. And so I open it and start reading and it says she was just out digging in the garden and so I start to wonder what the neighbors must be thinking, with her out there digging holes in the garden in the middle of the night. Hmmmm. And then this image from that great Tom Waits song "What's He Building?" from Mule Variations comes streaming into my conciousness....

What's he building in there?
    What the hell is he building
    In there?
    ... With that hook light
    On the stairs. What's he building
    In there... I'll tell you one thing
    He's not building a playhouse for
    The children what's he building
    In there?

Hehehe...OK, so maybe it is just me?! Turns out the time on the email was actually Sunday afternoon when I bothered to check and it just got delayed somewhere along the way to me. So.....do you ever pay too much attention to the covers of albums? Have you seen that last New Bomb Turks cover?

Forum Regular
    Dude - I'll make your question easier - at least from my perspective - what event/relationship in my life not come pouring back from hearing certain songs?

Shoot - I hear any Squeeze - I'm having day long flashbacks to my first High School girl friend, I hear The New York Dolls I'm back in my first summer loading trucks in NYC, Blondie? - my first time in CBGB, The Outlaws? my first underage beer, The Clash? my first car road trip, The Cars? my summer between jr/sr year in HS, Steve Forbet? hmmm... not a virgin anymore... The Pogues? My first solo apartment in NYC...

The list goes on...a hear a song/artist - especially when it's random - and I'm gone down memory lane... I have an artist/song associated with every friend, girlfriend, job, event... I assumed everyone did.

A tip o' the beer to you.

Excellent topic.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

What D L R U talkin' 'bout?

Dude, you listen to lyrics? Much less Eno's lyrics? I thought King's Lead Hat was an instrumental. Did you read that article in...what was it, Stereophile? Absolute Sound? I forget...on the history of the Talking Heads? Well worth reading, very amusing. I like the part where he talks about David and Bryan wearing the same shirts.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information