Pain Of Savation - Remedy Lane is killer

I was a little apprehensive about this one, (after buying Pallas-Cross & Crucible from the same label) but decided to take a shot; boy was I pleasantly surprised. A very musical prog metal album that ecshews the dungeons and dragons lyrics. There are some very strong moments in this album, like This Heart Of Mine, and Second Love, both of which are power ballads that would have received massive overplay in the '80s. There is also some long-play muscle in the form of prog metal tunes like Trace Of Blood, Rope Ends, and Beyond The Pale, three tunes that might come across as Queensryche-by-the-numbers, but are still done very well and aren't contrived. Dryad of the Woods is a great, transcendant instrumental that shows what a very deft touch POS has on this album. Even at nearly 70 minutes in length, Remedy Lane doesn't seem over-long. This isn't an album of virtuosity, its about very strong writing and a keen sense of melody.

How do other POS albums stack up next to this one?

Working from memory

Since I'm at work away from my music, I recall liking 'The Perfect Element Pt I' alot. The first two songs are misleading, they're metalish more than progressive and not as strong as the rest of the ceedee. But song 3 (ashes) is blissfull and the album is strong from song 3 onward.
    I'd call it a very good, great in spots. It's still in the spin cycle after having it for a few years.
    Not too metalish, not too progressive, fairly high melodic content.
    Very Good, but not a absolute must have.

Forum Regular
    I need to give these guys another shot. I have "One Hour by the Concrete Lake" and I've only played it twice. Nothing seems to stick with me but maybe it's one of those that grow on you.

I'm really scared of "Be", which I guess is really love it/hate it.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I can't believe you didn't mention the drumming! The drumming on PoS albums is excellent!

I like One Hour by the Concrete Lake and Perfect Element Pt. 1 a lot, and even enjoy Be. The only one that isn't essential, IMHO, is 12:5 -- for some reason, I just can't get into that one.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

AR Newbie Registered Member
    drumming is good
    ---------------------------
    pain killer

Forum Regular
    I don't get "Be". I understand it's poignant and transcendent and all that, but there's very little actual *music* on it.

Maybe I should try Remedy Lane, but Be kind of turned me off to POS.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

I will say that POS did require at least three or more listens to 'get'. There were a few songs that were immediately accessible and kept me coming back to the album: and subsequently I'd hear an new wrinkle or layer with every listen.

But most fans of POS have a problem with BE.

Forum Regular

time to get

Speaking of Pallas....

Cross and Crucible toom many many listens before I "got it".

Do you know what I mean?

Like the first several listens, the music didn't really "come together". Then all of a sudden during a listen it just goes "wham" and the recording really takes on a different feel altogether.

This happens for me on almost every album.

Dave

Thread Information