Forum Regular

Paging 3-Lockbox

Have you tried Dark Tranquillity yet?

If not.....dude, I am BEGGING you. Seriously, look, I'm down on my hands and knees here.....BEGGING YOU.

You need to go pick up a copy of Damage Done. If for some reason you don't like it, I'll reimburse you. Seriously.

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...

Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    Have you tried Dark Tranquillity yet?

If not.....dude, I am BEGGING you. Seriously, look, I'm down on my hands and knees here.....BEGGING YOU.

You need to go pick up a copy of Damage Done. If for some reason you don't like it, I'll reimburse you. Seriously.
    What's the CTGV ratio? (clean to growl vocal)

I'll keep an eye out for it, but seriuosly, I've tried several similar acts over the last few weeks (Soilwork, Killswitch Engage, El Nino, Spineshank, and Iced Earth, not to mention Opeth) and I've come to the conclusion that I just can't handle death metal growls, screeches or yelled vocals. Iced Earth is remeniscent of what I grew up listening to, though I'm not crazy about their lyrics. Opeth is gorgeous musically speaking, but I'm not likely to buy another with this style of vocals. Spineshank (a downright pain invoking name)is closer to APC or Tool than death metal, and has a lot more tolerable mix of clean to 'raw' vocals (I should save this for the Tuesday thread).

I have read good things about Dark Tranquility though, so thanx for the heads up, who knows what mood I'll be in after the holidays. I do appreciate the recs, so don't let my reply disuade you from bringing more of this kind of music to light.

Forum Regular
    DT does used the growled vocals, but they are somewhat more toned down than other similar acts. The reason I thought you might like them is because they are stylistically similar to Opeth in terms of song structure. They're a lot more progressive and refined than those other bands you listed.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    What's the CTGV ratio? (clean to growl vocal)
    If you don't like the growled vocals, try Amorphis (Chapters would be a good place to start) and/or Katatonia (The Black Sessions).

How about some of the chick bands? Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Elegy, Leaves' Eyes, Peccatum, Within Temptation, Flowing Tears, After Forever, Sirenia, et al? Gosh, I didn't realize how many of these bands I actually had...actually, I should be careful about recommending -- I think Peccatum has some screamed/growled vocals...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Hey Dusty

Make sure you check out Stream Of Passion!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    If you don't like the growled vocals, try Amorphis (Chapters would be a good place to start) and/or Katatonia (The Black Sessions).

How about some of the chick bands? Gathering, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Elegy, Leaves' Eyes, Peccatum, Within Temptation, Flowing Tears, After Forever, Sirenia, et al? Gosh, I didn't realize how many of these bands I actually had...actually, I should be careful about recommending -- I think Peccatum has some screamed/growled vocals...

Lately I've been listening to....well, WTH, I may as well do my weekly listening report here; you guys are the only ones who'll read mine anyway___Someone gave me their copy of Symphony X, cuz it wasn't hardcore enough for them, and I love it; its the Divine Wings of Tragedy album from a few years back. In fact, I think the lead singer, Russel Allen, sang on a couple of tunes from Ayreon's Flight Of The Migrator. I may use that album as a search platform, I like it so much.

I like Iced Earth for the most part. Even though they're very derrivative of Iron Maiden, they're better at it. Save for some overtly satanic lyrics in the song *'Damien', I find most of the lyrical content to be tollerable, if not silly.*(yeah I know, its about the movie)

I actually have three Lacuna Coil CDs now. I was going to review them in the next few days.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Make sure you check out Stream Of Passion!!!!
    Wishlisted. Thanks!

3lb -- I have a friend who's really into "power metal", which sounds like the direction you're drifting towards. I'll ask him for some pure winners the next time we talk.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

3lb -- I have a friend who's really into "power metal", which sounds like the direction you're drifting towards.
    I've never stopped liking "it". Bands stopped playing "it" (power metal) and turned into VanHalen wannabe, cockrockers and balladeers instead. People who think of '80s metal as Bon Jovi, Cinderella, and Motley Crue are just plain wrong. I loved DIO until he started recycling tunes like Mystery, playing crap like Hungry For Heaven. Blame it all on the Scorpions, Styx, REO Speedwagon (and maybe even AC/DC to an extent) and especially Queen for pandering to top-40 radio and killing power-metal/fantasy-metal (or whatever they call the metal sound that includes keyboards and singers) by paving the way for all the mid to late '80s dreck that passed for heavy metal. Even bands like Priest and Maiden started pimpin for MTV time.

Any recs are appreciated

TIA,

3LB (getting down from his soapbox)

NP: Symphony X

Thread Information