Overplayer / Underplayer

Printable View

• 09-30-2004, 11:08 AM
    Hyfi
    Overplayer / Underplayer
    I have been wanting to make this comp ever since we talked about Bass players last year. My list was deemed all Overplayers by Swish. Dusty then asked if all the others are Underplayers. These two words stuck in my head. There are lots of good bass players who get little or no credit while there are others we all know. Some of these tracks my be real familiar, but most are from my own collection.

One of the greatest Underplayers in MHO would be Greg Lake. He has one of the most beautiful and emotional voices for a guy. Another bassist/vocalist I like is James Dewar from Robin Trower fame. His voice is also captivating while his bass playing is not overdone.

There are also those players that we mainly hear as Overplayers but still have tracks as Underplayers. Stanley Clarke would be one of the main guys here. Others would be Tony Levin, Jon Camp(Renaissance), Chris Squire, and Mark Egan. Other guys just cant seem to go any slower than a mile a minute. Jeff Berlin(Bruford) is one as well as Stuart Hamm, and Michael Manring (although he is calm on Michael Hedges recordings).

This is a collection of some of my favorite tunes or artists featuring great bass. I tried to find as many of the "Overplayers" underplaying as to shed some light on their slower tasteful music. Some are not well known at all like Jimmy Charleson(Carl Filipiak Band), Martin Dresdin(Focus) and Craig Herlihy(YokeShire).

The hardest thing about making this comp is trying to figure out a good sequence. I settled on starting out slow with some Underplaying and working my way through the Overplaying. The comp ends with an overplayer underplaying on a track with nothing but bass.

Here's the play list if anyone is interested:

Jaco- Pat Metheny- Mark Egan
    Lisa- Stanley Clarke- Stanley Clarke
    Focus II- Focus- Martin Dresdin
    Little Girl- Robin Trower- Rustee Allen(bass)- James Dewar(vocals)
    It Hurts- Greg Lake- Greg Lake
    Nature Boy- Annie Haslam- Jon Camp
    Heartbeat- King Crimson- Tony Levin
    America- Yes- Chris Squire
    Flyin’ East - Fourplay- Nathan East
    Blue Entrance- Carl Filipiak- Jimmy Charleson
    Egocentric Molecules - Jean-Luc Ponty- Ralphe Armstrong
    Call of the Wild- Stuart Hamm- Stuart Hamm
    Cruel & Unusual- Michael Manring- Michael Manring
    Sample & Hold- Bruford- Jeff Berlin
    Shape of a Dancer- YokeShire- Craig Herlihy
    Just My Wish- Carl Filipiak- Jimmy Charleson
  • 09-30-2004, 11:27 AM
    BarryL
    Great Comp Idea
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I have been wanting to make this comp ever since we talked about Bass players last year.

One of the all time underrated bass players, I agree, is Jon Camp from Renaissance. While he doesn't pack quite the punch as Chris Squire, he is equally melodic throughout his '70s recordings.

If you're offering up, I'd be a happy camper!
  • 09-30-2004, 04:13 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

One of the greatest Underplayers in MHO would be Greg Lake.

Just being pedantic -- have you heard Pictures at an Exhibition lately? I totally disagree with the terminology of "overplaying" vs. "underplaying" (I was just making fun of the term when I asked if Jay was an underplayer, since "overplaying" is his pet peeve), but that would definitely not qualify as underplaying. Love that one moment with the wah-wah -- one of my favourite bass moments ever, and preceded Cliff Burton by quite a few years.
  • 09-30-2004, 04:20 PM
    Chip_B
    James Dewar
    Quote:

Jaco- Pat Metheny- Mark Egan
    Lisa- Stanley Clarke- Stanley Clarke
    Focus II- Focus- Martin Dresdin
    Little Girl- Robin Trower- James Dewar
    It Hurts- Greg Lake- Greg Lake
    Nature Boy- Annie Haslam- Jon Camp
    Heartbeat- King Crimson- Tony Levin
    America- Yes- Chris Squire
    Flyin’ East - Fourplay- Nathan East
    Blue Entrance- Carl Filipiak- Jimmy Charleson
    Egocentric Molecules - Jean-Luc Ponty- Ralphe Armstrong
    Call of the Wild- Stuart Hamm- Stuart Hamm
    Cruel & Unusual- Michael Manring- Michael Manring
    Sample & Hold- Bruford- Jeff Berlin
    Shape of a Dancer- YokeShire- Craig Herlihy
    Just My Wish- Carl Filipiak- Jimmy Charleson

Just a small point, but Rustee Allen plays bass on 'Little Girl'. On the album 'In City Dreams', Dewar just does vocals. I think the same is true of 'Caravan to Midnight' (Allen on bass, Dewar on vocals)
  • 09-30-2004, 07:02 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Hit me.

And please don't rely on Barry to make a copy for me. We all know how that'll turn out. ;)

I never did get that acoustic stuff you sent him way back when.
  • 09-30-2004, 10:06 PM
    Finch Platte
    Vetty interestink.
    I'd love to hear a copy of this, please. I've got a friend who would like it, too- I'll burn him a copy, if you'd send me one.

Thanks!

fp
  • 10-01-2004, 04:32 AM
    Hyfi
    Thanks for the info
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip_B
    Just a small point, but Rustee Allen plays bass on 'Little Girl'. On the album 'In City Dreams', Dewar just does vocals. I think the same is true of 'Caravan to Midnight' (Allen on bass, Dewar on vocals)

I missed the fine print there. Rustee ain't bad either.
  • 10-01-2004, 05:07 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hit me.

And please don't rely on Barry to make a copy for me. We all know how that'll turn out. ;)

I never did get that acoustic stuff you sent him way back when.

Can I trust you will give Barry his copy if I send you 2? Canadian postage is a killer for the unemployed!

I will try and remember what acoustic stuff I sent you. I think it was Craig Chaquico & Acoustic Alchemy.

PS: I never got the 70's set he asked me if I would like one a year ago.....hehehe
  • 10-01-2004, 06:14 AM
    BarryL
    And Now A Rebuttal - 30 Seconds
    Quote:

Can I trust you will give Barry his copy if I send you 2?

PS: I never got the 70's set he asked me if I would like one a year ago.....hehehe

Oh yeah. I have no independent recollection.

It's not that I don't make the comps, it's that I don't send them out! I have yours sitting right here. But I have to package it and get it to the post office. (Didn't I say I'd try to do it by Christmas. I usually make that a standard part of the deal.)

My real excuse is that I've been away on business most of the summer and I'm still busy as heck. I know, it's a lousy excuse.

As to the accoustic comps for FA, I promise to do them for her (but don't tell her that I promised).
  • 10-01-2004, 06:52 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Just being pedantic -- have you heard Pictures at an Exhibition lately? I totally disagree with the terminology of "overplaying" vs. "underplaying" (I was just making fun of the term when I asked if Jay was an underplayer, since "overplaying" is his pet peeve), but that would definitely not qualify as underplaying. Love that one moment with the wah-wah -- one of my favourite bass moments ever, and preceded Cliff Burton by quite a few years.

I knew my memory was a little off and that you would correct me when you saw it. Either way your comments helped me come up with a decent bass comp since I never finished one I started 2 years ago called "BassBalls".

I guess to me anything but Lead Bass is underplaying!
  • 10-01-2004, 12:10 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Can I trust you will give Barry his copy if I send you 2? Canadian postage is a killer for the unemployed!

I will try and remember what acoustic stuff I sent you. I think it was Craig Chaquico & Acoustic Alchemy.

I'm just busting Barry's chops. My position in life obligates me to do so. :D

You can send both copy's to him. I'm sure that I'll get mine......or else!