• 12-21-2003, 06:41 PM
    Swish
    1 Attachment(s)
    OT: Any sports car fans out there?
    I just bought a very nice 1980 Triumph TR8 from the original owner who put just over 32,000 miles on it since he bought it in 1981. Everything is original except the radio and tires, and it's in excellent condition. While it wasn't extremely expensive, they're pretty rare. They made very few of the ragtops, and most are overseas. Here's a pic of my new baby:

    Let me know what you think!
    Swish Baby (Post # 64) ;)
  • 12-21-2003, 07:09 PM
    tentoze
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    I just bought a very nice 1980 Triumph TR8 from the original owner who put just over 32,000 miles on it since he bought it in 1981. Everything is original except the radio and tires, and it's in excellent condition. While it wasn't extremely expensive, they're pretty rare. They made very few of the ragtops, and most are overseas. Here's a pic of my new baby:

    Let me know what you think!
    Swish Baby (Post # 64) ;)

    Looks sweet- To hash out an old phrase, hope there are two of em



    :D...............naw, couldn't be anything but fun, Swish. Surely it has tunes available in it..............
  • 12-21-2003, 08:08 PM
    Finch Platte
    A fat lotta good that ragtop's gonna do you with all that snow. And I hope you don't have a bald spot, cuz it's gonna get blistered in the summer.

    Other than that...! Nice ride. It should be a blast.

    fp
  • 12-21-2003, 09:36 PM
    Troy
    That's the one with the V8, right? Should go like stink!

    Is this your first British car? Carry your toolbox at all times.
  • 12-22-2003, 04:46 AM
    Swish
    No bald spot on my head.....yet!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    A fat lotta good that ragtop's gonna do you with all that snow. And I hope you don't have a bald spot, cuz it's gonna get blistered in the summer.

    Other than that...! Nice ride. It should be a blast.

    fp

    I'll have to keep in garaged for most of the year. This puppy has never been out in the rain, according to the seller.
  • 12-22-2003, 04:54 AM
    Swish
    Yes, my first British car, and it has the V8, but...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Troy
    That's the one with the V8, right? Should go like stink!

    Is this your first British car? Carry your toolbox at all times.

    it should be fairly reliable, unlike many of the previous models. My brother has the same model w/over 80K on his and no problems. I have the "Classic" plates on it, and won't be driving it more than 1000 miles or so per year. It's one sweet ride Troy.

    Swishy
  • 12-22-2003, 06:00 AM
    audiobill
    Congratulations Swish...
    Congrats, man!!

    Is this your first ragtop??

    There is nothing like a beautiful sunny day, with the top down and the wind in your face. We have a 2001 BMW Z3 2.5. It's sleeping in the garage right now, until April. I can't wait to take it out for a spin once the salt is off the roads..

    Btw., your car looks mint. You're right...........not many of those around on North American shores these days.

    Enjoy,
    Bill
  • 12-22-2003, 07:28 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    That looks like one beautiful car
    Will you take me for a ride? :)
  • 12-22-2003, 08:27 AM
    Swish
    Now that's a loaded question!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Will you take me for a ride? :)

    Hey Fall Girl, no problem, but I won't be driving it to Toronto, so you'll have to come to PA if you want a ride.

    Swishy
  • 12-22-2003, 08:57 AM
    JDaniel
    Troy's right
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Troy
    Is this your first British car? Carry your toolbox at all times.

    Nice car Swish, but Troy's right. I've owned two British cars - a Triumph Spitfire, and an MGB. Both ragtops. Both had the exact same nagging problem. They swiftly turned right whenever passing a mechanic's shop - couldn't pass them up. Neither though were as bad as my first car - an Audi LS100 (which I think made a published list of the 10 worst mechanical cars ever made).

    Both were a blast to drive, but outrageous to repair. For instance, due to the stellar engineering design, the engine in my MGB had to be removed to replace the clutch.

    Of course, speaking of stellar engineering, I can hardly find anyone to tune up my Expedition because it's such a pain in the arse to get to the spark plugs. Guess that's why they want $400 bucks to do a tune up.

    Have fun with it.

    I myself have been eyeing a little late 60's Chevelle that's for sale down the road from my house. I've been resisting the urge to stop and talk to the owner, but I feel myself weakening a little each day. And it is Christmas, and I haven't bought myself anything yet. Hmmmm....................

    JD
  • 12-22-2003, 10:09 AM
    Ex Lion Tamer
    1 Attachment(s)
    One of my personal favorites
    I loved the TR8 when it came out, originally it was the TR7 wasn't it, went to the TR8 designation when they put a 8-cyl un der the hood. Bet it moves pretty good. I'm actually partial to the TR6, the last of the original shaped TR series.

    My personal holy grail would be the Jaguar XK-E, still the most beautiful car ever made IMHO, though a '59-'62 Vette is pretty nice too.

    Then there's this beauty
  • 12-22-2003, 12:35 PM
    Snowbunny
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    Let me know what you think!
    Swish Baby (Post # 64) ;)

    Wow, nice chick magnet, Swishy baby! I can't wait to see a picture of it with the top off and you inside. :)

    Snowie

    (Oooh... lookit all that snow! How do you survive such harsh winter conditions! :p )
  • 12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
    Swish
    Verrrrrrry funny regarding the snow..
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Wow, nice chick magnet, Swishy baby! I can't wait to see a picture of it with the top off and you inside. :)

    Snowie

    (Oooh... lookit all that snow! How do you survive such harsh winter conditions! :p )

    That pic was taken at my brother's house this past Saturday, and he lives about 45 minutes west of me. My yard has no snow at all at the present time, and you know how much I hate the stuff. :) We expect temps in the 50s tomorow, quite balmy for this time of year, and I welcome it with open arms. This car will be garaged until the warm, sunny days of late spring, but I'll be sure to post a pic with me in it if you feel you need one. :)

    Swishy
  • 12-22-2003, 01:16 PM
    Swish
    Don't confuse this with a Spitfire, which were...
    [QUOTE=JDaniel]Nice car Swish, but Troy's right. I've owned two British cars - a Triumph Spitfire, and an MGB. Both ragtops. Both had the exact same nagging problem. They swiftly turned right whenever passing a mechanic's shop - couldn't pass them up. Neither though were as bad as my first car - an Audi LS100 (which I think made a published list of the 10 worst mechanical cars ever made).

    Both were a blast to drive, but outrageous to repair. For instance, due to the stellar engineering design, the engine in my MGB had to be removed to replace the clutch.

    Of course, speaking of stellar engineering, I can hardly find anyone to tune up my Expedition because it's such a pain in the arse to get to the spark plugs. Guess that's why they want $400 bucks to do a tune up.

    Have fun with it.

    I myself have been eyeing a little late 60's Chevelle that's for sale down the road from my house. I've been resisting the urge to stop and talk to the owner, but I feel myself weakening a little each day. And it is Christmas, and I haven't bought myself anything yet. Hmmmm....................

    JD[/QUOTE

    known to be troublesome. A few of my friends tinkered with them, along with MGs and most were headaches. The TR7s & 8s were much more reliable, and modern, and should require only routine maintenance. As I mentioned above, my older brother has one and it's been very reliable despite having nearly triple the mileage of mine. I'm not the least bit concerned and won't be driving it very much anyway, perhaps 1000 or so per year as I want to preserve the value. Only 2006 (1870 to the USA) of the 1980 Convertibles were produces, and many are probably in the junkyard, so it's quite a rare vehicle, especially in this condition.

    Swish Baby
  • 12-22-2003, 02:03 PM
    Snowbunny
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Swish
    That pic was taken at my brother's house this past Saturday, and he lives about 45 minutes west of me. My yard has no snow at all at the present time, and you know how much I hate the stuff. :) We expect temps in the 50s tomorow, quite balmy for this time of year, and I welcome it with open arms. This car will be garaged until the warm, sunny days of late spring, but I'll be sure to post a pic with me in it if you feel you need one. :)

    Swishy

    I'll be needing one. :)

    Those puppies are really popular up here in British Columbia. Are you going to get involved in the British Car clubs? Cars here have to be 25+ years to qualify for Collector's status in shows. My old boyfriend used to have a bright red Karman Ghia coupe and I was shocked at the amount of attention we got from stranger's on the street. It was so much fun! I loved the cameraderie of the specialty car crowd and it was sooo easy to find cool things to buy for gifts.

    Of course, as you've already probably noticed, stereo installation is a big problem if you want to keep your original dashboard. Is the interior in its original condition?

    Snowie
  • 12-22-2003, 02:29 PM
    Swish
    My brother is the VP of the local Triumph club...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    I'll be needing one. :)

    Those puppies are really popular up here in British Columbia. Are you going to get involved in the British Car clubs? Cars here have to be 25+ years to qualify for Collector's status in shows. My old boyfriend used to have a bright red Karman Ghia coupe and I was shocked at the amount of attention we got from stranger's on the street. It was so much fun! I loved the cameraderie of the specialty car crowd and it was sooo easy to find cool things to buy for gifts.

    Of course, as you've already probably noticed, stereo installation is a big problem if you want to keep your original dashboard. Is the interior in its original condition?

    Snowie

    so I guess I have to join. ;) Mine is designated a "classic" based on the age and the fact that they no longer make them. In 2005 I can get "Antique" plates for it, meaning no more annual inspections. The seller gave me all the original manuals and paperwork (all pristine since he is also a collector), along with the official "birth certificate" on the car for which he paid $50. As for the dash, the only thing different is that he the radio which he replaced as soon as he bought it since the originals were garbage. I have to repair the connection to the right speaker because it's shorting out. Overall, the sound system is crap, so I might have to upgrade it. I certainly won't alter anything on the car to do it. Maybe some speakers under the seats or something, I really don't know what will work.
  • 12-23-2003, 06:47 PM
    Slosh
    Does the Metsmobile count as a sportscar?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Troy
    That's the one with the V8, right? Should go like stink!

    Nah, not really. That's an itty-bitty aluminum 215 cube Buick-cum-Rover V-8 (Rover bought the design from GM in the early sixties and Buick stopped using it around '63-ish) and with all the typical-of-the-era crude smog junk and low compression I can't imagine it's all that fast (nice cruiser, though).

    Hey Swish, don't take the above wrong...it's a pretty cool little car.

    My CFO is thinking about selling his 6-speed M5. Is this a good time to ask for a raise ;)
  • 12-23-2003, 08:14 PM
    Swish
    No offense taken Slosh. The 81 was much faster...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slosh
    Nah, not really. That's an itty-bitty aluminum 215 cube Buick-cum-Rover V-8 (Rover bought the design from GM in the early sixties and Buick stopped using it around '63-ish) and with all the typical-of-the-era crude smog junk and low compression I can't imagine it's all that fast (nice cruiser, though).

    Hey Swish, don't take the above wrong...it's a pretty cool little car.

    My CFO is thinking about selling his 6-speed M5. Is this a good time to ask for a raise ;)

    with the fuel injection, and my 80 would be much faster with a 4 barrel carb which many owners converted to, but I want to keep this original. My brother had his up to 110 when he got too nervous to keep on it, and I've heard they'll do 160. Hey, I'm no speed-freak, I just want a decent collectors car, and according to the info available, only about 2000 to 2500 convertibles of this model were produced from 78-81. The factory records were pretty sketchy, but it's still a pretty rare vehicle, whether you like 'em or not.
  • 12-24-2003, 08:43 AM
    Worf101
    1 Attachment(s)
    Old school again.....
    I love sports cars. I have one classic now but it's truly not considered a sports car. When I bought my 1956 Ford Thunderbird back in the early 80's I could've had a Jaguar 1950 XK 120 Drop Head instead. I went with the T-Bird cause I know that early British iron is notoriously unreliable. The nightmares friends told me of Jaguars while stationed in europe was enough to put me off em forever. This is what I'm running. Would still love a classic Jag though...

    Da Wistful Worfster
  • 12-26-2003, 03:41 PM
    arc_light
    That's a mighty fine set of wheels you've got there Worf. WHOOOeee, I'll bet that's one pretty fine swath you cut when you take to the street.
    I was a car guy in the past........right up 'til I discovered how much more two wheels turned my crank.
  • 12-26-2003, 09:28 PM
    3-LockBox
    I purchased an '87 Turbo Thunderbird in great condition. Needs new shocks and a paint job and I'll be pulling the engine and rebuilding it this summer. Its a blast to drive 'as is' though, since it had a very attentative single owner who babied it.