Orchestral Pop Songs That Swoon Like Silent Movie Damsels in Distress

Or so Pitchfork.com describes the latest effort by Jens Lekman, who I believe, is from the country north of us called Canada. Pretty interesting stuff. Evidently this guy hasn't had a REAL love relationship in 4 years and this is evident in the songwriting on this LP.

Don't buy this on LP if you are looking for a solid recording because, quite frankly, it stinks. If you have the CD and can report a better experience, please post here.

Interesting, laid back, "chill" music for those who don't mind a few mindless lyrics. ;-) If there is anything outstanding about this recording, I'll report back. I had read quite a bit about it...all positive (i.e., 8.5 on Pitchfork not that this necessarily means anything)...and purchased to have a listen for myself. Currently working through it. Just hope I can get past how poorly the LP was recorded!
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    Or so Pitchfork.com describes the latest effort by Jens Lekman, who I believe, is from the country north of us called Canada. Pretty interesting stuff. Evidently this guy hasn't had a REAL love relationship in 4 years and this is evident in the songwriting on this LP.

Don't buy this on LP if you are looking for a solid recording because, quite frankly, it stinks. If you have the CD and can report a better experience, please post here.

Interesting, laid back, "chill" music for those who don't mind a few mindless lyrics. ;-) If there is anything outstanding about this recording, I'll report back. I had read quite a bit about it...all positive (i.e., 8.5 on Pitchfork not that this necessarily means anything)...and purchased to have a listen for myself. Currently working through it. Just hope I can get past how poorly the LP was recorded!
    Thanks for the heads-up, Mary. Kinda sounds like the last two Death Cab For Cutie albums; lots of swooning and a tad bit of moping as well...for 50 minutes.

Myself, I still go back to Smashing Pumkins:Mellencollie And The Infinite Sadness for 'pop songs that swoon like silent movie damsels in distress'. Of course, there is still a lot of rage, which, in spite of, they're still just rats in a cage. At least this mix of wistfull, romanticism contrasted against edgy, dark angst-bitten alternative rock keeps the interest peaked and makes for a dynamic listen, which is more than I can say for DCFC.

Thread Information