Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Ok, I'll ramble about PT and the letter 'R'

So, a while back, after about a year of yawning through Porcupine Tree worship threads, knowing I don't care much for whatever this genre called Prog Rock might be, my spirit finally broke and I picked up Signify and In Absentia. I was intrigued, on the fence a bit, but enjoyed much. I tried to convince myself that they might be the Pink Floyd of the new millennium. I dig Idiot Prayer a lot. also Wedding Nails and they have nice stuff all all ends of their range. I've got Fear of a Blank Planet and Anesthetize has been lodged in my brain for several weeks. I like that they try to create something more than a string of singles on an album. It seems like I've drunk the cool-aid...

But, I still can't decide if I like them, dammit. There's just things that annoy me. The relentless focus on ennui and disenfranchisement... but even more, whoever the vocal is has a grating turn of phrase. It feels like he's trying to set Moby Dick to music. I've read Moby Dick and its a fantastic book, but it shouldn't be set to music. PT lyrics feel just as cumbersome sometimes. Then...and I'm coming to my point...those 'r's...argh. Take Anethetize for instance

I'm watching TV
    But I find it hard to stay conscious
    I'm totally boRed...
    ARGH.

Right in the middle of some great playing in the middle of a totally ambitious song. The groove is on... then a really goofy pronunciation of 'borrrred'.

Then "shuffling through storrres..."

It drives me nuts. 17m 43s of really good musical arc and, right smack in the middle, a millisecond of complete and total amateur hour vocal annoyance.

That's why i can't decide if I like 'em.

*sigh*

Forum Regular
    I know just what you mean noddin. Lightbulb Sun was my first entree into PT, and it just did not click for me. Like you, the lyrics stood out as my biggest issue when I heard the line "six of one half a dozen of another". It's lameness had me scratching my head and I can;t get past it. I've since picked up a few more PT releases but avoid Lightbulb Sun altogether.

I've also found thrilling heights on some of the musicality, especially on Stupid Dream but sooner or later the music settles and the vocals drag me down again.

A very similar band, IMO, is Riverside (I think I learned about them here or on Rocky Road). They compliment PT's sound very well, but can sustain the high level through the entire release.
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I can't say that I've ever noticed a problem with PT's Rs. But here's my question for you. Do you only hear this in Anesthetize or do you notice it throughout other PT songs also? The reason that I'm asking is that Anesthetize has several guest vocalists on it.

And I second jasn's endorsement of Riverside. I didn't like their second album that much, but the third and fourth are excellent. I have their first CD at home but haven't had time to remove the wrapper yet.

Forum Regular
    They are a great band. I've never noticed the R thing, probably will now though, so thanks, lol.

42 Regular
    The hard "R"s on Fear of a Blank Planet have annoyed me as well, but it's a minor complaint. Steven Wilson is very British, and he's commenting on the emptiness of modern pop/consumerist culture...and affecting an American accent while adopting the persona of a modern-day consumer-zombie is part of that commentary. Or at least, I think that's what he's aiming for. But it comes off as lame, pretentious and fake.

But that song freakin' rocks, so I don't mind too much.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I agree with you Mr MidFi, I considered that it was an intentional affectation. And I really don't want to think that its just an aversion to a British accent. However, I have problems with the Boston 'R' too which is unfortunate 'cause I now live in MA. So I admit, I have a problem. I'm sensitive to the letter R. Maybe I had some Sesame Street induced trama as a young child.

I'm listening to Waiting Phase One on Signify now and I don't notice so many 'problems', maybe he is aiming for something in the zombie culture.

I just can't help but feel that if these guys got their lyrics/vocal act together they'd rapidly rise above 'The Best Band You've Never Heard Of" status.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    It feels like he's trying to set Moby Dick to music. I've read Moby Dick and its a fantastic book, but it shouldn't be set to music.
    Well then, you'll never want to listen to Mastodon - Leviathan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Well then, you'll never want to listen to Mastodon - Leviathan

You beat me to it. I actually have this CD, and will prolly sell it shortly. Speed metal, grind core, whatever you call it, just doesn't do a thing for me. The drummer is incredible though.

Where you from, Boston? Do you pack the caa in Havad Yad.

Hard 'r' pronunciation, huh. At least he doesn't roll them; that would be insufferable if he did that. Actually, it bugs me when people don't pronounce the 'R' in a word.

West Coast transplant to Central, MA but work in Cambridge. Spent years in Jersey too. I got used to Bronx but still can't quite accept Boston speak. Whole portions of words don't get pronounced, and the parts they do bother to say they mangle...

Man, the album art alone would keep me from listening to Mastadon.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I didn't like their second album that much, but the third and fourth are excellent. I have their first CD at home but haven't had time to remove the wrapper yet.
    Riverside only has three albums, unless you're counting the Panic Room EP that came out early and was later completely included in the 3rd album. It's a trilogy story. My favorites are the first two, haven't warmed to the third one, there seems to be much less of the soaring guitar that I liked so much on the first two.

Forum Regular
    I dig Mastodon a lot. Have you listened to Blood Mountain? great disc

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

You beat me to it. I actually have this CD, and will prolly sell it shortly. Speed metal, grind core, whatever you call it, just doesn't do a thing for me. The drummer is incredible though.

Quote Originally Posted by richmon
    Riverside only has three albums, unless you're counting the Panic Room EP that came out early and was later completely included in the 3rd album. It's a trilogy story. My favorites are the first two, haven't warmed to the third one, there seems to be much less of the soaring guitar that I liked so much on the first two.
    2004 - Out of Myself
    2005 - Second Life Syndrome
    2006 - Voices in my Head
    2007 - Rapid Eye Movement

stutter, stutter, but but

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    2006 - Voices in my Head
    Thanks for the correction, didn't know they released this, but if I can salvage a moleule sized bit of my pride, it's an EP. Is it stuff from before the first album?
    Looks like the other EP 'panic room' isn't available anymore.

From Amazon; Their latest release, Second Life Syndrome, has stirred up much interest in the neo-prog world around the globe, prompting the first ‘official’ release of the highly collectable and rare Voices In My Head E.P.

Quote Originally Posted by richmon
    Thanks for the correction, didn't know they released this, but if I can salvage a moleule sized bit of my pride, it's an EP. Is it stuff from before the first album?
    Looks like the other EP 'panic room' isn't available anymore.

From Amazon; Their latest release, Second Life Syndrome, has stirred up much interest in the neo-prog world around the globe, prompting the first ‘official’ release of the highly collectable and rare Voices In My Head E.P.
    Well...I guess if you call 37 minutes an EP. Heck, it's longer than the new REM album!!!

I didn't realize that this was previously recorded material. If you're a Riverside fan, I recommend picking up a copy of Voices. It's excellent.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 04-21-2008 at 08:14 AM.

I'm listening to Voices In My Head now and it is VERY Porcupine Treeish. It reminds me of Opeth's Damnation but a little heavier. Or maybe A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step. Now you've got me curious about the material on this "EP" and when it was originally recorded.

I'll bet that noddinOff never thought that the "R" in his thread title would end up being for "R"iverside.

like any thread stays on topic? R-amble on.

Thread Information