Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular

No offense skewiff.......

Quote Originally Posted by skewiff
    This is what's tickled my fancy this week.

Primal Scream..................................Evil Heat
    REM............................................... .Monster
    Grateful Dead...................................Anthem of the Sun(Remaster)
    Mike Oldfield....................................Tubula r Bells III
    Jefferson Airplane.............................After Bathing at Baxter's
    Dexys Midnight Runners...................Let's make this Precious(Best of)
    A3................................................ ...Power in the Blood
    British Sea Power.............................The Decline of
    Jimmy Cliff.......................................1st album(remaster)

Soul Galore.....................................2,3 and 4. I know I made them, but there still superb.
    Thanks for the kind words David(Nobody)
    ....but shouldn't you mix in some variety there? Lot of that might just bleed together.

Seriously though, that's a good looking list.

First off a couple of comps, 2003 versions by Slosh and nobody (2003 motel?). I'm sure there was another one but it's evading me at the moment. Anyways... ya done good guys, lots of fascinating stuff on both. Merci beaucoup.

I was kind of thinking of doing a comp along the lines of Davey's twilight or alt country sampler. So I've been listening to...

Nick Cave & PJ Harvey - Henry Lee EP. I love that Henry Lee tune so that would probably on it.
    Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
    Bonnie Prince Billy - I See A Darkness, Master and Everyone
    Papa M - Live From A Shark Cage (Drunken Spree's going to make it onto a comp at some stage). Whatever Mortal.
    Black Heart Procession - 3
    Songs:Ohia - Magnolia Electric.
    Low - Things We Lost In The Fire
    Nina Nastasia - The Blackened Air. I luuurve this album. Oredered her 2003 release Run To Ruin the other day along with Prefuse 73's - Extinguished Outtakes and his other incarnation as Savath & Savalas - Apropa't
    Smog - Red Apple Falls
    Lambchop - Is A Woman
    Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Manitoba - Up In Flames
    Neu! - Neu!
    Boards Of Canada - Peel Session
    Pole - Pole 3

Troy - Skywriting. I have my PC set up to autoplay mp3's when they've finished downloading. This one starts out full on and loud, damn near gave me a heart attack! It was clipping but it's easy to normalise it to more speaker friendly levels. Despite the prog alerts I actually like this one the most of the tunes so far. The "relatively" quiet section starting at 1:40 has the beginnings of a melody that even a none proghead like me could hum along to. For my taste you might develop that more. Instead of repeating it four times and having that rising scale resolving it every time (which is kind of like a full stop each time) Develop it more slowly and resolve it once? Then let it twine around the rhytmic outro? If you get some tasty little melodic licks out of it use them to ornament the intro? Just some thoughts.

Still great sound and instrument voices and definite craft progress.

Chris.

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

Spins

Lemme see...

Outward Bound - Sonny Landreth
    Blues Deluxe - Joe Bonamassa
    The Essentials - Average White Band
    The Mean Eighteen - Monti Amundson
    Long Time Coming - Jonny Lang
    Hittin' the Note - The Allman Brothers
    Knockin' on the Devil's Door - Paul Oscher
    Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys
    Funk Essentials - Various Artists

On deck: Mr. Nasty's Sonny Landreth comp (thanks, David!) and sundry other stuff.
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Lots of goodies in the past week. Sorry I don't post more often, but since the site got banned at work, not a lot of time to keep up with the gang.

CDs:
    Lost Highway Lost & Found Vol. 1 - 15 rarities, b-sides, unreleased and studio cuts from the Lost Highway family of labels. Includes tunes from Ryan Adams, Marc Broussard, Lucinda Williams, Jayhawks, Tift Merritt, Willie Nelson & Ray Price, Joe Ely, Kathleen Edwards, Bright Eyes, Whiskeytown, Unamerican, and Johnny Cash. This disc is a definite keeper.

Lucinda Williams Essence and Sweet Old World

Jack Johnson Brushfire Fairytales

Neko Case & her Boyfriends Furnace Room Lullaby

Mark Knopfler Sailing To Philadelphia

Ian Moore Modernday Folklore

The Pogues Waiting For Herb

Clash London Calling

Billy Idol Whiplash Smile

Lyle Lovett My Baby Don't Tolerate

Comps:
    Davey's Season's Greetings 2003

Yechy's Das Boots Los Lobos comp

Chip's Blues Deluxe 2 - thanks for the replacement Chip

My own Judybats comp.

JD

Been busy as all hell, but I got a few new cds this week:
    The Wrens The Meadowlands: heard about this from several on this forum and a few other places and finally found it at a Borders halfway across town. I'd have to say that I love this cd and now I'm thinking about ordering Secaucus even though I hate buying over the internet.
    The Shins Chutes Too Narrow: liked a few songs initially and now its starting to grow on me with repeated listenings.
    My Morning Jacket It Still Moves: Didn't think too much of this initially. It got somewhat rave reviews from several sources I read but although it's growing on me a bit, I don't think it's great. I figured I would like it, being a southern boy and it's kind of southern rocklike. It sounds like Lynard Skynard and The Band if they played together in an massive airplane hangar and were recorded on a tape recorder. The vocals sound far off and some of the songs go on for days:the whole cd is rather long. I will say there are a couple of decent songs and maybe if I hadn't had preconceived notions I would have enjoyed it more initially.
    Hope everyone has a good one

Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter329
    I'd have to say that I love this cd and now I'm thinking about ordering Secaucus even though I hate buying over the internet.
    Are you talking about buying a used one or something on half.com or ebay? Because outside of doing that, I don't think you're going to find a copy of Secaucus. It's been OOP for a while, and even though Absolutely Kosher had some for sale for a while, I'm pretty sure they sold all they had.

BTW, Secaucus is a great record, but it's not as poppy as The Meadowlands, and had more of an edge to it. It has much more of a Pixies and Archers of Loaf sound than the new one.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnz
    Troy - Skywriting. I have my PC set up to autoplay mp3's when they've finished downloading. This one starts out full on and loud, damn near gave me a heart attack! It was clipping but it's easy to normalise it to more speaker friendly levels. Despite the prog alerts I actually like this one the most of the tunes so far. The "relatively" quiet section starting at 1:40 has the beginnings of a melody that even a none proghead like me could hum along to. For my taste you might develop that more. Instead of repeating it four times and having that rising scale resolving it every time (which is kind of like a full stop each time) Develop it more slowly and resolve it once? Then let it twine around the rhytmic outro? If you get some tasty little melodic licks out of it use them to ornament the intro? Just some thoughts.

Still great sound and instrument voices and definite craft progress.

Chris.
    Those are all good ideas. I'll keep chipping away at it. I think I bit off more than I could chew with this one. If that section repeating is so obvious I'll have to change it. Too bad because I was happy with that melody and didn't want to screw it up. I don't really mind the abrupt beginning because it's that kind of song , but maybe I can run it up on a a bass line or a couple of piano chords . . .

Thanks for thge inpoot!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnz
    I was kind of thinking of doing a comp along the lines of Davey's twilight or alt country sampler. So I've been listening to...
    Wow, that sounds like a neato idea Chris! You know I'll be in line. That Twilight is one of my favorite comps, even though it is my own. Be really cool to hear an update on the idea. I kind of made a trilogy out of it with the Decade of Alt-Country/Twilight/Down The Road but that one was probably the best in the group. Hey, that new Nina Nastasia is very good, but really quiet and pretty short. There's one song on there that is a real knockout called Superstar and reminds me of Mazzy Star, in a very good way. That's probably my favorite. Really nice on a dark and quiet evening.

The real trouble with this software format is that a whole bunch of people will now have to check to see if I was replying to something they said. Sorry everybody. Blame AR, not me!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Wow, that sounds like a neato idea Chris! You know I'll be in line. That Twilight is one of my favorite comps, even though it is my own. Be really cool to hear an update on the idea. I kind of made a trilogy out of it with the Decade of Alt-Country/Twilight/Down The Road but that one was probably the best in the group. Hey, that new Nina Nastasia is very good, but really quiet and pretty short. There's one song on there that is a real knockout called Superstar and reminds me of Mazzy Star, in a very good way. That's probably my favorite. Really nice on a dark and quiet evening.

The real trouble with this software format is that a whole bunch of people will now have to check to see if I was replying to something they said. Sorry everybody. Blame AR, not me!
    Good to hear that Nina's latest is worthwhile. Still hasn't arrived. Maybe I'll just dash into the CRSv9 thread and nominate Superstar right now and beat you to the punch ;-)

I'm still accumulating tracks for the comp and haven't really tried putting anything together but I'm curious how it'll work.

Chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information