Angry Mother's Day Fistfight...

Sigh... I knew this was a bad idea when she suggested it but... I went along anyway. Several months ago my son's Mum pointed out a concert to me the night before Mother's Day. Janis Ian (a two hit lesbian folk singer from the 60's) was playing in town and she mentioned how much she loved her and her music. As you might expect I responded with the classic Jack Nicholson line about "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes". But I went out and got her second row seats anyway.

Anyone that's been following my posts here know that Ms. Ian would probably NOT be my cup of tea, but I'm a musician first. I can appreciate damn near anything that's done well and with true desire. Midway through her show I'd developed an appreciation of Ms. Ian's phenomenal voice (she must be pushing 60) and great stage presence. She's up there "nekid" just a guitar and her voice, no net, nowhere to hide. Good songs and great stories, particularly about being a Jewish, lesbian living in Nashville for 16 years now. Finally she gets to her biggest this "At 17". A poignant tale of teenage lonliness and depression that speaks to all the ugly duckling and nerds out there.

Just as she lunches into it some fat, ignorant, middle aged balrog starts half singing along with her. It's one thing to sing along with Bruce Springsteen when the band's cranking at 50 million decibles it's quite another at an minimally amplified, acoustic solo performance. If you do sing along there you'd best be able to carry a tune and KNOW ALL THE GO***MN WORDS!!!! Needless to say after a few seconds of this I glared at the guy, he glared back. He kept singing, I said "shut the f**K up, I didn't pay 50 bucks to hear him sing"... He's said, "you shut the f**k up", next thing you know we're scufflin' in the asile.

No blood no foul. Quite lively for a folks concert though.

Da Worfster

Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Sigh... I knew this was a bad idea when she suggested it but... I went along anyway. Several months ago my son's Mum pointed out a concert to me the night before Mother's Day. Janis Ian (a two hit lesbian folk singer from the 60's) was playing in town and she mentioned how much she loved her and her music. As you might expect I responded with the classic Jack Nicholson line about "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes". But I went out and got her second row seats anyway.

Anyone that's been following my posts here know that Ms. Ian would probably NOT be my cup of tea, but I'm a musician first. I can appreciate damn near anything that's done well and with true desire. Midway through her show I'd developed an appreciation of Ms. Ian's phenomenal voice (she must be pushing 60) and great stage presence. She's up there "nekid" just a guitar and her voice, no net, nowhere to hide. Good songs and great stories, particularly about being a Jewish, lesbian living in Nashville for 16 years now. Finally she gets to her biggest this "At 17". A poignant tale of teenage lonliness and depression that speaks to all the ugly duckling and nerds out there.

Just as she lunches into it some fat, ignorant, middle aged balrog starts half singing along with her. It's one thing to sing along with Bruce Springsteen when the band's cranking at 50 million decibles it's quite another at an minimally amplified, acoustic solo performance. If you do sing along there you'd best be able to carry a tune and KNOW ALL THE GO***MN WORDS!!!! Needless to say after a few seconds of this I glared at the guy, he glared back. He kept singing, I said "shut the f**K up, I didn't pay 50 bucks to hear him sing"... He's said, "you shut the f**k up", next thing you know we're scufflin' in the asile.

Da Worfster
    Sounds like a good time was had by all. Did you make the concert review?

Your wife musta love that experience.

"Breaking SIlence" is a fine album. I bought it when I was a beginner audiophile, because the sound was supposed to be amazing, and that's what beginning audiophiles do...buy the latest audiophile-approved record no matter how bad the music. Well the music is very good, and the sound is GREAT, (especially on 180gm vinyl). The title track has to be among the 10 best recorded rock songs ever. So if you care to try out your new found respect for Ms. Ian buy actually buying an album, you could do worse than Breaking Silence: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Arjuw6ja771l0
    Last edited by Ex Lion Tamer; 05-10-2004 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular

You should have kicked his ass

Nobody else joined you?

I would have figured others would have jumped in.

I'm proud of ya, man.

I had a guy ruin a gig for me once, too, frikking singing (not) the whole damn time and running his mouth like he was the band's mother, for chrissake.

I'm not bold (or big) enough to start a fracas, but I sure do want to sometimes.

Dave

42 Regular
    You're not a Janis Ian guy? Cuz I do remember you're a Laura Nyro guy. I'm just sayin'...

Anyway, sorry it had to come to a fracas. But you're right...a solo acoustic show, and some GUY is crooning along with:

For those of us who knew the pain
    of valentines that never came

...yeah, some things just ain't right. I'll bet he had man-boobs.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

dld
    Forum Regular
    Way to go! glad you clobbered the slob. If nothing else, maybe he'll think twice at the next concert he tries to ruin.

Good review too. Ian's Between The Lines LP was damn fine. I think even Steve Simels gave it a favorable review.

Your story reminds me of a story I read about in the Houston Post. Back in Houston, in the mid 70s, Joni Mitchell was doing an acoustic concert at a large venue. Some yokel near the front kept yellling, Rock n Roll during her quite plaintive songs. She flat got up and left after warning said yokel a couple of times to tone it down. Sounds like they could have used Da Worster at that show. The crowd should have got on his a$$ like kids tearing into a pinata. Maybe she would have stayed .
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

thanks, that one made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

Da Worfster
    The only shame is that is wasn't mtycrft you socked. Or was it?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

Same 'tude, different gig...

Lucky she didn't come down there and wup yo butt!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...people_50_cent

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I think you should be given the title of "Terrible" Worfster. You behave just like the Terrible one himself. Nuttin like introducing the butt to a good kickin!!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think you should be given the title of "Terrible" Worfster.
    I hope not. We already got one Terrible in AR and we sure don't need another. I bet the audience were thrilled to see a fight rather than a quiet sooting concert

Worf, you should be shame of yourself

Forum Regular

Good Job Worf

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Tony

Red face Thanks for the love fellahs..

To answer some of the questions. No, my fight didn't make the paper's review because I know all the local music critics and have far more dirt on them than they could ever have on me. So Mike and Sarge cut me a little slack. Sigh I feel bad about losing my temper like that (only somewhat). I try to be civil most of the time. I try and treat people as I'd like to be treated.

As for any new nicknames, I'm only "Da Worfster", I could never take the moniker "Terrible" for there's only one, and he know's who HE is!!!! Nah just goes to show why I don't drink and stopped carrying weapons of any kind, cause you never have to look for trouble, just sit still and it'll find you.

Da Worfster

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    And remember kids, mother is only half a word.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information