Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    42 Regular
    Here's a streaming linky to Andrew Bird's new one, Hands of Glory...

Andrew Bird: Hands of Glory

It's not NPR, but I thought I'd piggy-back on your thread anyway, nodO.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    Here's a streaming linky to Andrew Bird's new one, Hands of Glory...

Andrew Bird: Hands of Glory

It's not NPR, but I thought I'd piggy-back on your thread anyway, nodO.

Nice find thanks!

"...at times it's hard to believe Bird's seventh album was recorded in a barn with his band all crowded around a solitary microphone."

Yes, it is!

I really like the Americana feel. Must be the barn. Its a nice re-direction. As much as I like Bird, I've been wishing he would move his style around a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    nodO
    pfft. It's nod0 !
    TCA ATT GGA

Wayne Shorter: Without a Net

Sometimes I find Wayne Shorter too tough to follow, other times he amazes me by getting things exactly right. Never is he dull or uninteresting, however.

His new album just started streaming today. It's worth a listen for sure. Mostly live recordings. Great quartet includes pianist Danílo Perez, bassist John Patitucci and drummer Brian Blade. Sounds like a winner.

First Listen: Wayne Shorter, 'Without A Net' : NPR
    TCA ATT GGA

Elvis Costello & The Roots, 'Wise Up Ghost'

I'd more or less forgotten about Elvis after "When I was Cruel", which I sort of liked. Looks like he's back and the stream sounds pretty good.

NPR: Exclusive First Listen-elvis1_2_wide-8c4f9d91661e389aef7a5e030fc30ff35f1a9a05-s4-c85.jpg

From NPR (link)
    "Out Sept. 17, Wise Up Ghost is Costello's collaboration with , hip-hop's most admired live act and a recording venture as conceptually adventurous as Costello himself. Recorded in a year's worth of experimental sessions after the 59-year-old bard met the band as a guest in its television home, Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, the album sounds like the best of Costello's stuff, and like nothing he's done before. Working with musicians who've figured out how to apply hip-hop principles to a band dynamic, Costello locates himself within that framework to produce some of the most focused and visionary work of his later career."

Maybe not perfect synergy but mostly good nonetheless. I'm not familiar with The Roots. They sound like a group I should be looking up (recommendations anyone?). There's a nice, welcome fluidity to Elvis' delivery here. Wish that the band amped up and pushed a little more.

Worth a listen if you're an Elvis fan.
    TCA ATT GGA

Mazzy Star: Seasons of Your Day

There might be some interest here for this one, now up for streaming.

Mazzy Star: Seasons of Your Day
    NPR: Exclusive First Listen-mazzystar_wide-902eca30c96030e398244eb54d2863c446a571d3-s4-c85.jpg

From NPR (link)
    "Seasons of Your Day (out Sept. 24) is the first Mazzy Star record in 17 years, and it comes as the group's sound is being echoed by younger artists — see Baltimore's shadowy and the mutable glam-pop of . It's a lovely, intoxicating record, but the group's sound has also evolved. "It's so far, far away," Sandoval sings in "California," a largely acoustic song with an echo of Led Zeppelin's Joni Mitchell mash note "." The line could reference a place, but Sandoval could also be addressing the pop-music profile she'd left behind."
    ...more

I confess to being unaware of Mazzy Star until recently so can't really make any then and now comments. Just plugged in and so far sounds lovely. Less gauzy/murky than what I've heard of them before.
    TCA ATT GGA

Lots of interesting things up on NPR this week. Several albums up that I've been curious about. Worth a visit. We have:

Notwist: Close to the Glass

Beck: Morning Phase

St. Vincent: St. Vincent

Neneh Cherry: Blank Project
    TCA ATT GGA

New Beck CD is pretty nice. It's definitely better than I expected. It sounds good too and maybe it'll get released as DVD-Audio/SACD/Blu-ray at some point.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

A few RRers, myself included, liked Signal Morning. New one from Circulatory System went up today. Mosaics within Mosaics.

First Listen: Circulatory System, 'Mosaics Within Mosaics' : NPR
    TCA ATT GGA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information