Cool NP: 2003 All Over Again by Slosh

thanks pal!

looks like 2003 was a good year for music.. though it was not a good one for me to buy new albums.. as I have purchased exactly ONE of the albums represented here, though I've heard a few others thanks to the generosity of some folks around here

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Really? Only one...

...my guess would be it's Hail To The Thief but I'm not really too good at this sorta thing. You gonna do one? I would think you probably do in fact have more than enough to fill up a disc (or two). Wait, what am I saying? You already do like 500% more compage than me! At least you wouldn't have to worry about duplicating my junk

BTW, that comp title will make a lot more sense when you pull out the disc again in 2013

~Slosh - in the midst of an entity crisis (what I'm thinking of calling my next comp)

NP: Oxes (they roxes!!!)

I Second Jar's Emotion -- Thanx Sloshmeister

What a pleasant surprise to find Slosh's latest in my mailbox this past Friday.

The first half of the comp reminds me of a Nu-late 60s vibe that takes me back to that late San Fran sound of 68-69 but with an angstful twist of 2003 irony.

Great sequencing, Slosh........I'm enjoying it, immensely.

Thanks-a-ton,
    Bill

Got mine too...

Thanks Slosh, lots of great stuff on there.

Mark

42 Regular

Just when I thought I was getting sick...

...of indie pop/rock, along comes this brilliant collection by the master compsmith himself. Well done, Slosh. And thanks.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    thanks pal!

looks like 2003 was a good year for music.. though it was not a good one for me to buy new albums.. as I have purchased exactly ONE of the albums represented here, though I've heard a few others thanks to the generosity of some folks around here

-jar
    Mine was in the mail this AM. Looking forward to it; thanks Slosh!
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Hey, thanks guys

I always make my comps to please myself but it is rather nice when one is well received. With the quality of comps floating around these parts, I know you know exactly what I mean

NP: RS500 freebie SACD

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I always make my comps to please myself but it is rather nice when one is well received. With the quality of comps floating around these parts, I know you know exactly what I mean

NP: RS500 freebie SACD
    hey, everyone gets lucky at least once..

I really liked the SFA cut on there.. and the Fruit Bats are catchy as hell. Didn't get a lot of heavy stuff this year huh?

well that's ok, I'm putting together something of a 2003 disc and I'll let the heavy stuff represent.

-jar-
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Nah, not much

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Didn't get a lot of heavy stuff this year huh?
    Best heavy album I heard all year was December - The Lament Configuration but I'm assuming you got that covered

The new APC has it's moments as does JA's Strays and there's a few kinda-sorta rawkin' tunes from DCfC (of all bands!) and Enon and Radiohead. I musta been in more of a pop mood

NP: The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico

Got my latest Slosh creation in the mail yesterday, too! Thanks a bunch, Bigfoot. I'm saving it for this weekend's ski trip, since your stuff is so much fun to move to. Although judging by -Jar-'s comments, perhaps you've gone soft in your old age?

But then again, -Jar- listens to Dinosaur Jr. doesn't he?

My first ski disk of the season last week was your excellent Prince comp. At least it was until the batteries froze from the -14C wind chill.

Snowflake (which is what my teensy avatar is supposed to be with the saying, "Remember That You Are Unique, Just Like Everyone Else".

PS - Great rec on the new The Shins! Right up my snowdrift!

Ski trip, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    I'm saving it for this weekend's ski trip, since your stuff is so much fun to move to. Although judging by -Jar-'s comments, perhaps you've gone soft in your old age?
    It's kinda mellow but really only three songs will be too slow fer skiing (Calexico, Andy Bird, and White Stripes). The other songs are mostly pop and the Earlimart song would be too slow to ski to if it weren't for a killer bass/drum line Hope you're on a looonng trail when you get to "1% of One"

I really wanted to put DCfC's "A Lack of Color" on there but it got axed for not being upbeat enough. Well, there's always the next comp

I think from now on I'll only make album recs that I'm willing to buy back if they don't go over well

~Slosh - I've got my schmoopie on

Slosh - Nice job

2003 All Over Again is a great slice of RR tunage. I've listened now 6 or 7 times (more than most comps - just not enough time), and I really like it. There was a lot more pop than I expected (why I expected different - I dunno), some with a Brit Pop sort of sound. It starts off sort of mellow, then picks up the pace around Track 4 (Broken Social Scene), has a nice jam about 4 minutes into Track 5 (Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks), gets a littler harder edge with Tracks 6 (A Perfect Circle), 7 (Radiohead) and 8 (Cursive). There's a very cool sequence from Track 9 (Enon) through 13 (Cat Power). Then the comp mellows out again in the last few tracks. The only track that didn't interest me was the Cursive song.

My favs off the comp were Broken Social Scene (Cause=Time), Wheat (I Met A Girl), The White Stripes (You've Got Her In Your Pocket), and Death Cab For Cutie (Death of an Interior Decorator). New to me were the Fruitbats, Grandaddy, Cat Power and Death Cab for Cutie.

Thanks Slosh for this very solid comp. It will remain in my rotation for a while. Now I can't wait to hear Davey's and Mike's and Tentoze's year end comps.

JD

Glad ya like it. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Now I can't wait to hear Davey's and Mike's and Tentoze's year end comps.

JD
    I'm playing tentoze's 2003 for the first time right now and so far it's excellent. A bit more alt/country than mine to keep things interesting

Thread Information