Mutant from table 9

No, not vinyl vs. CD again!

If you had to get rid of one of your music collections and keep the other, which would it be? Your CD or your LP collection? (Cassette, 8 track, reel to reel, MD, DAT, DCC, wire and wax cylinder don't count )

Mr. Peabody's tread about his Yes albums got me thinking about my own CD vs. LP collection. The two collection differ greatly in overall flavor. Lots o' 70s and 80s classics in the LP collection as well as jazz and wierd stuff I wouldn't pay more than a $1 or $2 for. Much more metal, punk, and rock from the 80's 90s and 00s in the CD collection and records I paid too much for (i.e. Kanye West and Daughtry). The LP collection is retrospective (i.e. going back and discovering artist I wasn't even alive for the first time around such as i'm really into hunting Rick(y) Nelson records right now). Whereas, the CD collection was generally acquired contemporaneously as albums were released (new Robbie Fulks live record?....Okay, I'll buy that.... Lilly Allen?.... I'll buy that too.)

That being said, if I had to choose I would pick the LP collection to keep. Too eclectic and too many records in there that I will never get tired of: Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Dolly Parton,Harry Belefonte, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Judas Priest, George Harrison, ELO, Springsteen, Social Distortion, Blondie, Ramones, Jim Croce, The Blasters, The Damned, the Cure, ect. ect. The list just goes on and on.

Which would you keep and why?

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I don't have many dupes but I'm keeping both. Vinyl at home and CD in the car, although if I had a car stereo with a front-panel aux/usb input I wouldn't have much use for the CDs at all once ripped, other than for back-ups.

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I would keep the CD collection. I'd rather listen to an LP if I get the choice, but most of the time I don't, AND my CD collection is 3 or 4 times the size of my vinyl collection.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Well, I don't have to get rid of either, so why choose?

But seriously, I don't have much vinyl, and if I did, I would choose the CDs regardless. The compactness and ease of use means a lot. I immediately copy all the new ones I buy so I can play the copies in my car(s) or on my PC, and the originals go in the cases in my HT room so I don't have to take the originals out of the house. My work car has a 6 magazine player, and I keep a spare loaded with another 6 so I switch them on the fly.

Yeah, the audiophiles will say that vinyl sounds better, but I don't buy it, although I have some really crappy recordings on CD. When you consider the portability and ease of use, and the fact that nearly everyone has a cd player and not too many have decent turntables these days, CDs win by a landslide for me.

G Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Rae
    This non-audiophile, non-motorist luddite prefers vinyl. There was a time when I owned about 1700 CDs, but I got rid of most of them for some supplemental income a few years ago and now own more vinyl (about 750 records and 200 CDs, at a rough guess). Although my system isn't nearly well-put-together enough to produce that "warmer sound" that everyone always raves about, I'm an unabashed vinyl enthusiast. Something about holding that jacket in yr hand or dropping the needle that just isn't the same with CDs. I'd probably own everything on vinyl if I could, but lotsa poorer bands these days can't afford to press their stuff on both formats. I understand that. But yeah...

VIVA VINYL!

~Rae

Suspended
    I guess I shouldn't post because I couldn't bare to lose either. Some albums on CD can't be found on vinyl and vice versa is the main reason. When they stopped selling vinyl I just transitioned to CD, so I really just consider it one collection.

I needed room in my cabinet and room, so I did off load my cassettes and deck. Most of my cassettes were recorded copies on high quality tape. Very few pre-recorded. I never listened to them anymore. I listen to mostly CD because of the convenience and vinyl when I have the time and energy. Both sound great with a decent recording.

Thread Information