Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Action

Rae

No Action

I don't wanna kiss you, I don't wanna touch, but I do wanna stir up some activity here. Where is everyone?

Let's make a group comp or something. Anyone have any inspired ideas?

~Rae

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey RaeRae,

You want action, I'll get you action...Howsabout this..."What's in your car right now?"

I was thinking about this the other day, I mean, we always talk about what's playing at home, occasionally waxing poetic on the nuances and subtleties of this piece or that part...blah, blah, blah. How about when it counts---with the pedal to the metal.

Clearly there are very few car stereos that seriously address nuance, certainly mine doesn't. I fnd that for me the best music enhances a mood...or evokes one.

In the mornings I usually stick with calmer fare just so I don't go into work all jacked up. Lately it's been Dexter Gordon's Gettin' Around and Gruff Rhys' Candylion. Today the weather was unseasonally nice and cruisin' round Naptown with no particular aim accompanied by Iron & Wine's The Shepherd's Dog was right on time.

Of course, nighttime is a different story. Gotta be something with a beat, probably loud, and if I'm decompressing from work usually meanspirited. Might as well burn it out before I get home, eh? Nitzer Ebb's Belief is a perennial favorite, as is anything by Social D or Mike Ness as a solo artist.

I made an Urban Driving Comp recently---great for driving around my hood and it probably keeps me from getting shot for inadvertently wearing the wrong color. Little mix of rap and techno to keep the sub kicking. Playlist goes a lil' somethin' like this:

1) Come Around~ Collie Budz
    2) By The Time I Get To Arizona~ Public Enenmy
    3) Findem, F$%kem, and Flee~ NWA
    4) African Herbsman (King Kobra Remix)~ Bob Marley
    5) Pawn Shop~ Sublime
    6) Midnight~ Ice-T
    7) Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos~ Public Enemy
    8) Welcome To Jamrock~ Damian Marley
    9) Lapdance (Paul Oakenfold Remix)~ Lee Harvey & N.E.R.D.
    10) Tanz Mit Laibach~ Laibach
    11) Smack My ***** Up~ Prodigy
    12) Who's Your Daddy?~ Bennie Benassi

Whattchu playin' in the ride?

Cardinal for me. Been playing it a lot lately. Great record. Richard Davies and Eric Matthews, just this one magical time. Only 30 minutes. I have the 1994 10-song verison in the car changer. Sounds so good. Have the newer remaster in the house with all the bonus tracks, but the original sounds so much nicer without the added digital compression. Could listen to "Siver Machines" all day (probably have before). So that's my pick for the groupie. Silver Machines by Cardinal.

Rae
    I don't drive, Mark, so yr idea sucks. Just kidding. I used to listen to music on my headphones when I biked but I decided to knock it off 'cause it reduced my alertness of people trying to run me over. The last thing that I remember being in really heavy rotation on my headphones was this comp that I made for an ex last year.

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I don't wanna kiss you, I don't wanna touch, but I do wanna stir up some activity here. Where is everyone? Let's make a group comp or something. Anyone have any inspired ideas?~Rae
    You sound like my wife.

Lets do one of those current rotation comps or something, and I'll send in some prog tunes.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Yeah, we haven't done a current rotation sampler in a monkey's year. I'd be in on that. I'd even volunteer to do it but most of you are aware of my struggle with procrastination and it's not likely that anyone would see it before 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    12) Who's Your Daddy?~ Bennie Benassi

Whattchu playin' in the ride?
    Damn, it's the first I've heard of Benny Benassi on this forum. I'm a fan although 'who's your daddy' is far from being a favourite. Try 'light' (perhaps the best), 'illusion' or 'rocket in the sky'. They are all awesome if you like this type of electro. Actually no, just plain awesome.

Sorry I don't drive at the moment, neither do I own a car so it all happens in house these days

Group comp does sound fun, but I know I'd never get it organized if I took it on...we need a suc...I mean, a volunteer to get things rolling.

Rae
    I can facilitate. I still need to send out all these LWIII vol. 3 comps that have been just sitting here for 2 months, so it'd be no problem to slip an extra disc in the packages.

~Rae

Rae
    And the things in my head start hurtin' my mind! And I think about the way things used to be!!

~Rae

Alright. Let's get this thing hopping! Who's in?

For those of you who haven't been around long enough to know what we're talking about a Current Rotation Sampler (CRS) is a group comp where the members of this forum send a favourite song, that is in their current rotation and that they wanted to share, to the person volunteering to put the songs all together on a CDR. Then the volunteer mails copies of the full CD to the contributors. Sometimes, some of the contributors would assist with the mailing, thus reducing the work and cost for the volunteer who put it all together (although, I suppose we could just download it now, yes?). It's a fun and easy way to share the music that you're enjoying and hear what others on this site are listening to.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are 11 previous CRS comps floating around out there.

The song that you contribute can be something new or an old favourite. Typically we try to choose songs or artists that others on the site may not be familiar with.

So, who's interested in sharing some damn music?!

Rae, if you PM me your address I'll make sure that you get a few tracks for this puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Alright. Let's get this thing hopping! Who's in?
    I'm in. Do you think we should make a new thread for those who aren't checking this thread out because of its title?

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Do you think we should make a new thread for those who aren't checking this thread out because of its title?
    Yes, we should.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Yes, we should.
    Ok, you first. <---------------- what does that mean?

I'm beginning to think it's so slow in here, it might take months to get enough songs together. None of the "newbies" ever join in, anyways, so it might be the same ol' same ol'.

fp

I'm in. Just to get this started . . . .

something old

something new

C'mon you slackers!

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I'm in. Just to get this started . . . .

something old

something new

C'mon you slackers!

NP:
    Sloshy, you rock! The Iron Maiden download surprised me. I wasn't expecting you to like Iron Maiden.

Is the Iron and Wine song indicative of the album? I know that a few folks here have been talking about this one, but I thought that I heard some Iron and Wine a while back that I didn't like so I ignored all the talk. But I liked this song and if it's what Iron and Wine sound like then I must be confusing them with a different band.

Sloshy, you rock! The Iron Maiden download surprised me. I wasn't expecting you to like Iron Maiden.
    First big arena concert I saw (Madison Square Garden) was Maiden/Priest in '82 when I was 14. You know, before either of them caught the suck. Town I grew up in had a train station a few blocks from my house that would get you round-trip tickets to/from Penn Station for all of $7.00

Is the Iron and Wine song indicative of the album?
    Yes, but only of the new album.

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

What about the non Americans?

Pretty sure we've had non-Americans participate in the past. At least some Canadians and I think at least one Englishman. You've still got mail, I assume. Or, if timing is an issue, maybe you could upload something?

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    What about the non Americans?
    All are welcome. We'd love to have you participate!

Yeah it'd be fun to participate, especially as I know nothing about most of the music that is mentioned in rave recordings.
    How do we go about sending the song?
    Last edited by audio amateur; 03-06-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Stephen...

ya gots two choices. You can either go old school and burn a song or two and mail it to Rae...or you can upload it to Sendspace or whatever and PM the link. The latter choice would seem to be more convenient but I haven't experimented with it so I really couldn't confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Damn, it's the first I've heard of Benny Benassi on this forum. I'm a fan although 'who's your daddy' is far from being a favourite.
    Kewl. If you haven't picked up Cooking for Pump-Kin yet it's pretty solid. And, while "Daddy" may not be my favorite either it's lascivious nature seemed to fit best with the rest of the disc.

BTW, I promise not to submit anything from the Urban Drive disc.

ya gots two choices. You can either go old school and burn a song or two and mail it to Rae...or you can upload it to Sendspace or whatever and PM the link. The latter choice would seem to be more convenient but I haven't experimented with it so I really couldn't confirm this.
    If you PM Rae, he'll provide his mailing address. Consider the format, if you're uploading make sure it's lossless. Probably better to mail a disk with the WAV file to Rae.

BTW, I've always sent the person putting the disk together the full CD of the track that I want to use, with instructions of which track number to use. Just a nice little bonus for the person spending the time putting this together for us.

I wouldn't mind mailing, however as it's just a couple of songs and overseas, i'm a bit resilient to doing so. But then Rae is going to pay for all the shipping + CD's?
    Rest assured I won't be putting any 'Urban Drive' type music all WAV of course. I'm trying to upload them to this website, we'll see.

Kewl. If you haven't picked up Cooking for Pump-Kin yet it's pretty solid. And, while "Daddy" may not be my favorite either it's lascivious nature seemed to fit best with the rest of the disc.

BTW, I promise not to submit anything from the Urban Drive disc.
    Is that a new album??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information