Newwwwwbies- come out, come out, wherever you are!

As I scroll down the page, I only see 4 new folks who have dared post in here recently. The next page, I see a couple of new folks as well, folks who posted way back when, and didn't come back. Yet.

C'mon- we need new blood in here! This place is a good thing. Feel free to post and introduce yourself. If you just post about something out of the blue and no one knows who you are, you'll get fewer responses, I garntee it. Take the opportunity to respond to this post, even if it's lounging wayyyy down below. By posting, you'll bring it back up to the top, and we'll all get to meet you. (Can I use the word post any more often?).

My .02 cents, .0016 Canadian.

fp

DMK
    Forum Regular

Sorta newbie

I've posted here a few times on and off. Not much for me to add to most of the posts as I'm definitely a rock and roll newbie! Until about 5 years ago, I was a "jazz snob" and am still heavily into what's termed "free jazz". I buy about 300 new discs per year (yeah, but you should see my car and house!) and by far, most of them this year have been rock (or noise, all kudos to Dusty Chalk!). Last few batches were Black Sabbath, Opeth, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Metallica, The Damned, Fear, Static-X, Clash, the latest Joe Strummer (thanks, Mindgonehaywire!), Television, Morbid Angel, Lou Reed... (puff, puff, huge breath)... Ramones, Sonic Youth, Modern Lovers, DNA, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, Regurgitate, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Butthole Surfers, Tool, Ten Years After.... and a few others too numerous to mention although I've probably already named too many! What can I say, I've missed a lot since I left rock for dead in 1974. Lotta catching up to do.

I'd list my equipment but who cares? It's a means to an end. It's decent stuff but I'm no gear freak. There's too much music out there to worry too much about the equipment.

What I'm finding out now more than ever is that the people who claim there is no good music around anymore are not paying attention. There's more good music now than ever! Had I the time and the money, I STILL wouldn't have the time nor the money!

Jar, thanks for the comp. Putting the Brotzmann/Laswell cut on there was a nice touch, at least from my perspective, as Peter B is my main guy! Anyone interested or curious in the free jazz scene but afraid to take the plunge, let me know at dmkerr2000@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to make you a comp of some of the most outrageous, over the top, and guest clearing music you could want! Regardless of genre, for every "nice and pleasant" sounding disc I own, I own about 400 that would be considered offensive to the general public in some manner.

Umm... lessee, you asked me to introduce myself. I'm a 47 year old finance businessman by day and an air guitarist with my three kids by night! We've found that the Ramones give us just the right combination of good music, theatrics and head banging which is essential for good air guitar. I have two 9 year old boys and, God love him, one asked for and received a guitar and amp for Christmas. His only complaint is that dad plays it too much but he loves metal and I can still do a few properly juxtaposed power chords. Fun stuff!

I'm looking to learn more about the current state of rock music so I'll be around. Good listening to all!

Thread Information