Thread: New Vinyl

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

New Vinyl

Received these in the late afternoon mail while we were down at the neighbors for a graduation party. Now it's time to stir up a gin and bitter lemon, kick my sandles off and relax. I bought the new Santana after only hearing bits of some of the tracks and some of the reviews I read from other listeners.

Name:  santana_shapeshifter.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  santana_abraxas_master.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  steely_dan_gaucho.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  49.6 KB
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

The one thing keeping me from buying new Vinyl is the price, most I see are $20. I'm finding lots of used vinyl in the 6 dollar range and having a big time spinning my newfound treasures.

I see you have the MMF5.1, I recently picked up a MMF7 and amazed at how 'right' it sounds with a tube pre, mustva bought over 100 albums in the last year.

If you get down to Baltimore, there's a record show with dozens of dealers, third Sunday of each month, drop me an email if you want to check it out. Everything from $2 bargins to $50 rareities, I picked up Electric Ladyland with the nudes cover for $60, couldn't help myself.
    Record-Show

Was listening to Bob James Touchdown that I picked up for $2 last night, real nice album, good recording too.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    You're right about that, new vinyl isn't cheap. Those three cost me $73.00 with free shiping. I do try to hit the used stores when I can. Thanks for the tip on Baltimore, I'll check it out.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I but a decent amount of new vinyl and it seems like the price varies pretty dramatically from label to label with a lot of indies staying closer to the $10 mark while the bigger companies go for $20 or more. I often pass on records over $20 myself, unless it is something I am really craving. Seems like prices are going up lately too. I'd say last year I was still finding a ton of stuff for $10 and under while this year even the smaller labels are trending more towards $12-15 in a lot of cases. I haven't bought a new CD in ages so not sure how those prices compare, but the vinyl prices certainly do mean I have to be picky about what I get these days. I seldom buy anything I've not heard and decided I really want these days. Tossing $8-10 bucks away on a chance is something I'm OK with a lot of times, $20 or more, not so much. I get how vinyl is more expensive to produce and when you figure in distributors and retail outlets needing to make a buck and all, the prices aren't really too outrageous in most cases. But I think once you get around $25 and over it gets sorta ridiculous. I'm really not sure there is an artist out there that I'd pay that much or more for.

Thread Information