A new toy for my listening room

My first really new audio component (not including an Empire 698 TT) in a few years. Should get to do my first serious listening session this weekend, as long as real life doesn't intrude. I'm stoked!

Next up, new digital front end...probably in the form of a music server.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Nice Martin Logans!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer

My first really new audio component (not including an Empire 698 TT) in a few years. Should get to do my first serious listening session this weekend, as long as real life doesn't intrude. I'm stoked!

Next up, new digital front end...probably in the form of a music server.
    I nearly owned a pair myself, but opted for Paradigms. Are these the Purity line?

Swish - jealous of your speakers, not your hockey team
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Hope you have renter's insurance.

Send me your address again. I want to... uh... send you a comp! Yeah, that's it!

You need some Dave Weckl to play on them sumb!tches?

fp

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hella cool Tamer. I'm using redone SL3s which are kinda the grandfather to those, although you can expect much better bass integration between the woofer and the stats. Congrats, you're gonna have a great time!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Nice, and if you are still running a tube amp you are in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    I nearly owned a pair myself, but opted for Paradigms. Are these the Purity line?

Swish - jealous of your speakers, not your hockey team
    They are Vantages, which as Bobsticks says are the grandson of the SL3. They help me get over the dissapointment of not being able to watch my hockey team in May. (at least they made it to May this year). This is my first new main speaker pair since my first pair of audiophile-approved speakers; Spica TC50s in 1989, so I am stoked. Since the Spicas a procession of used speakers have gone thorough my listening room - the best being a pair of Thiel 3.6s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Nice, and if you are still running a tube amp you are in for a treat.
    I'm running a hybrid integrated (tube pre, solid state power) - It's probably not the most resolving amp in the world - but does have a pretty decent midrange. I would definitely want to look into a tube power amp down the road, or maybe a fully tubed integrated like the Prima Luna line. I used to own a VAC Avatar SE, which I regrettably sold to buy the DK (dumb dumb dumb!!!), because I thought my speakers at the time would benefit from some solid state grunt. I might even go for another Avatar if I find a good deal, the problem is that the re-sale value on my DK Designs or whatever it's called now has dropped like a stone.

But priority 1 now has to be an upgrade to my digital front end (Sony SACD changer/Ack dAck) which after about an hour of listening was shown to just not have the right stuff. I could look into a better dac (Channel Islands, Benchmark...) or maybe the top of the line Cambridge player that is getting great reviews, or that gorgeous Raysonic player - but I also know that a music server is somewhere in my future - anyone heard one of these: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....onv&1212499479
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Nice speakers. My cousin's hubby used to work for ML and I believe they have the exact same speakers (with a Conrad Johnson pre and amp).

As for the Squeezebox, I'm tempted to try out the Duet. I already have a couple of Roku Soundbridges and they're great, but the current version stupidly upconverts to 48kHz, even at the digital output, so wouldn't recommend one unless you can find a used older model (M500, M1000, or M2000 . . . and avoid the M1001). So long as you use an external DAC and rip in a lossless format you'll get bit-perfect playback. It'll change the way you listen to music - for the better. Go for it!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Suspended
    If the Vantages are the speakers I'm thinking of they are fully powered, all you really need is a good tube preamp, the Vantages will run off the pre outs. If your amp has preouts give it a try.

... I used to own a VAC Avatar SE, which I regrettably sold to buy the DK (dumb dumb dumb!!!),...
    Good God man, the VAC is an incredible amp...I'll not go any further...you're already hurtin' enough.

If the Vantages are the speakers I'm thinking of they are fully powered, all you really need is a good tube preamp, the Vantages will run off the pre outs. If your amp has preouts give it a try.
    You're thinking of the Clarity - which is fully powered and even has a dock for an ipod. I would love to get a pair for my den/family room.

The Vantages are the model just below the Summit - they have a powered woofer but the ESL panel requires an amp to power it. I've been running them in for the last few days - still have about 50 hours to go (as recommended by ML), but I already hear them opening up - especially in the bass. Probably won't be until next weekend before I hear them at anywhere approaching their best.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Good God man, the VAC is an incredible amp...I'll not go any further...you're already hurtin' enough.
    Are you running your SL3s off of an Avatar? I assume if you are that you are not having any issues with power and the difficult impedance curve of the SL3s? Can you run it in triode mode?

Are you running your SL3s off of an Avatar? I assume if you are that you are not having any issues with power and the difficult impedance curve of the SL3s? Can you run it in triode mode?
    I'm running a McIntosh 7205 with the SL3s, a set of Montages and the Cinemai center, although that configuration will be going the way of the dodo bird this year. The plan is to get back to basics.

I did, however, hear an Avatar driving a set of B&W 's Nautilus two weeks ago. From low to midlevel volumes the Avi had enough current to make some nice sounds and the 802 isn't the easiest speaker to push. We didn't have the opportunity to reach concert levels. I'll be out and about this afternoon so I'll stop by and see if the boys have thrown the Avatar at any of the ML line.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mmmmm....them's some tasty looking speakers...

Hey Tamer,

Well, I just got back from chillin' for a while with the boys. I'm glad I'd made up my mind to look into this because I got a bit of a treat. As I arrived they were just tuning up one of the first pairs of B&W Signatures to reach the MidWest. While few could argue that the tweeter was rock solid I can say without equivocation that it was absolutely trounced by the Dynaudio C-4. The B&W rep, who had driven up with a client from Kentucky, looked apoplectic.

Anyway, on to stuff you care about...unfortunately he had just yesterday sold a pair of beautiful VAC monos, clearing out his inventory of VAC. However, there may be more on the way plus he's got some great Cary and McIntosh tube stuff.On the bright side, and as I suspected, because the Vantages have the powered woofer you are really open to alot of options when powering the stat panels. A good twenty watt tube amp should have the current necessary to sing pretty convincingly. Lemme know and I'll pm you a contact number and e-mail addy.

Peace

Suspended
    Not to hijack but it's good to see some one else hears Dynaudio showing up B&W. If they bring in a pair of Sapphires you need to do what it takes to go hear them. What did they drive the C4's with?

Suspended

Very nice XLT. I always thought you RR'ers all used MP3 players to listen to tunes.

Must be something to sit in front of them and look and listen.

Not to hijack but it's good to see some one else hears Dynaudio showing up B&W. If they bring in a pair of Sapphires you need to do what it takes to go hear them. What did they drive the C4's with?
    Watch it buster!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey Tamer,

Well, I just got back from chillin' for a while with the boys. I'm glad I'd made up my mind to look into this because I got a bit of a treat. As I arrived they were just tuning up one of the first pairs of B&W Signatures to reach the MidWest. While few could argue that the tweeter was rock solid I can say without equivocation that it was absolutely trounced by the Dynaudio C-4. The B&W rep, who had driven up with a client from Kentucky, looked apoplectic.

Anyway, on to stuff you care about...unfortunately he had just yesterday sold a pair of beautiful VAC monos, clearing out his inventory of VAC. However, there may be more on the way plus he's got some great Cary and McIntosh tube stuff.On the bright side, and as I suspected, because the Vantages have the powered woofer you are really open to alot of options when powering the stat panels. A good twenty watt tube amp should have the current necessary to sing pretty convincingly. Lemme know and I'll pm you a contact number and e-mail addy.

Peace
    Thanks, I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for tube deals here in town and if you do hear of any particularly synergistic matches - just give me a heads-up.

I'd love to hear the new VTL integrated - the re-design looks absolutely gorgeous, but I've never heard one so I don't know what they sound like. The next few months are going to be fun.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and well-wishes.

Suspended
    When looking at tube gear keep Conrad-Johnson in mind, really good stuff if I do say so myself.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey Tamer,

Not unusual. Dynaudios will trounce the B&Ws in any comparable price range. It was that way when I bought mine.From all the big dogs I used to get to listen to when Soundex was still in business, it was always that way. Not saying B&Ws are not premium speaks at all, just that the Danes will always win out.

Thanks, I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for tube deals here in town and if you do hear of any particularly synergistic matches - just give me a heads-up.

I'd love to hear the new VTL integrated - the re-design looks absolutely gorgeous, but I've never heard one so I don't know what they sound like. The next few months are going to be fun.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and well-wishes.
    Congrats Tamer! New toys are always a treat, specially when it is audio equipment. I hope you get as many years of enjoyment as your previous pair.

Even if you get a Music Server, test drive the Rotel 1072 CDP for when you want all the detail.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Not unusual. Dynaudios will trounce the B&Ws in any comparable price range. It was that way when I bought mine.From all the big dogs I used to get to listen to when Soundex was still in business, it was always that way. Not saying B&Ws are not premium speaks at all, just that the Danes will always win out.

Congrats Tamer! New toys are always a treat, specially when it is audio equipment. I hope you get as many years of enjoyment as your previous pair.

Even if you get a Music Server, test drive the Rotel 1072 CDP for when you want all the detail.
    Good to hear from an old Soundex customer. Where do you go now to get your Dane fix?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Good to hear from an old Soundex customer. Where do you go now to get your Dane fix?
    I bought my first rig from Soundex in 78 when they were in a little strip mall across from Willow Grove Mall. Then they moved into the old house that was where the newer building is now. I sure mis taking a handful of disks there to listen to the big dogs in Room #1.

Bob & Rons Worldwide Stereo in Montgomeryville is now the Dynaudio dealer in the area. Just recently picked up a set of 42s used at the CES show for one weekend for a good price.

http://www.wwstereo.com/

Cheers!

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I bought my first rig from Soundex in 78 when they were in a little strip mall across from Willow Grove Mall. Then they moved into the old house that was where the newer building is now. I sure mis taking a handful of disks there to listen to the big dogs in Room #1.

Bob & Rons Worldwide Stereo in Montgomeryville is now the Dynaudio dealer in the area. Just recently picked up a set of 42s used at the CES show for one weekend for a good price.

http://www.wwstereo.com/

Cheers!
    It was a great place to just spend an afternoon. Sort of an amusement park to me. Just go into a different room and take a new type of ride. I go to the Bob and Ron's in Ardmore now and I really like Quest for Sound. Not setup as nice as Soundex, but first rate equipment.

Thread Information