Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

The best songs that no-one has heard

My iPod is on shuffle this morning and Blue Rodeo's song Pheadra's Meadow from their album Are You Ready came on. IMO this is one of the best songs that BR has ever recorded. It's not their usual alt country sound, it's a very different pace for them with vocals sung by Greg Keelor.

It's a very slow and haunting song about a man heart-broken and torn with jealously over his lover being with another man.

The thing about this song is that unless you buy this album, you'll probably never hear it. It'll never get played on the radio and I'd be surprised if they performed this live as it really doesn't fit into their usual playlist. But it's a beautiful song that should be heard IMO.

What songs do you love that you wish the rest of the world would hear but likely never will?

Blue Rodeo gets played on the radio?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

42 Regular
    "Words Falling Down" by EIEIO. The best jangle/pop/rock song of the 80s, bar none, and absolutely nobody has heard it. Besides me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Blue Rodeo gets played on the radio?
    Oh yeah! All the time. It's usually the shmaltzy love songs that Jim Cuddy is so good at crooning and usually on the Adult Contemporary or Easy Listening stations.

Maybe its just a Canadian thing.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    These are some of my favorite little gems that probably haven't had a widespread audience. The first and last ones have made it to youtube (the first one is broken up by editing because it's from a film about Athens, GA in the 80s) so I could be wrong.

"Stop It" by Pylon, but I suspect the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs have heard it because I hear similarities in "Cheated Hearts". "Stop It" is 80s w/out being dated.

"Glue" by Neutral Milk Hotel - I happened to find this one online. It's apparently from the basement tapes vol.2. It has a feel that struck a chord with me.

M. Ward's "O'Brien" as performed with Conor Oberst on ACL. (Not to be confused with "Vincent O'Brien" from the album Transfiguration of Vincent.)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Oh yeah! All the time. It's usually the shmaltzy love songs that Jim Cuddy is so good at crooning and usually on the Adult Contemporary or Easy Listening stations.

Maybe its just a Canadian thing.
    My favorite Blue Rodeo songs are invariably the one's sung by Keelor.

Some favorites of mine that fit your criteria....

I could list 10 or 20 by Wire...

"Troops Out" by The Passage (album Pindrop)

gotta go now, I'll try to list more later...
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

I've had one stuck in my head the last couple days, so I'll go with it. Kind of cheating a hair bit though, since it got used in a VW commercial a few years ago during the Olympics and caused quite a few music lovin' people to jump on the internet to search for who it was. They changed it a bit for the ad, edited it to make it less about the pain, and the loss, and the escape in drugs, but it's still a beautiful song in any form, even while reverberating around in my empty skull. The title highlights one of my favorite modern classical composers as well, what could be better than that? For some more on that, check out this great old trip in the way back machine ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEB6995.php ... hint: the guy is dbi

And the song? It's a short one (11.66 MB), so downoad the flac at http://www.mediafire.com/?gy9xwtbw2zd and let me know what you think.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    There's a really great, eerily creepy melody on the Great Expectations soundtrack by Tori Amos called "Siren". Powerful song that she performs live frequently. Don't think it's available on any other recording?

And another one I kinda been likin' a lot lately ... http://www.mediafire.com/?wxyyygecmrh ... man, there's some great string bending on this record, though this one has a nice and subdued orch flair that befits the title.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    This little numbah from the Cocteaus only ever made it to European discs---no exposure in the States. I had an import copy in college but that's long since disappeared. Judging from the 736 views worldwide since January (and fifteen or so are me) I'd say this qualifies as obscure.

So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I wonder if it's possible to make a comp of songs "no-one has heard". I see the glimmer of a project on the horizon.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Thread Information