Thread: Record Day 2010

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar

Record Day 2010

Anyone pay attention to the Independent Record Store Day thing? I went last year and the special area of 7", EP's, and what-not that many bands put out just for this day, well, it was cleared out totally - by 10am! This year there's a handfull of things I'd love to pick up so I'm considering going down to queue up at 8 or something...nuts? maybe, but I hope to grab at least one of these:
    Sonic Youth - EVOL (180 gm on pink vinyl)...this was my intro. to the band that I picked up based on liking the name and cover image when it first came out - still only have my orig. cassette copy from SST that is worn thin.
    Fela Kuti - a 10" live recording from 1970 (I think)
    Hold Steady - the new album on 180 gm with a hand-silkscreened sleeve (only 600! made so this one will probably not be got...)

there's some other cool, one-time-only releases too with list at the linked site above
    Saturday, April 17

As much as I love my LRS, they are totally lame when it comes to this promotion. I asked a few days ago, and they hadn't received any info or swag to give out.

Maybe it'll be like last year, and they'll get the stuff after the day.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    My favourite Indie store went belly-up last year.

Yeah, happy freakin' Independent Record Store Day.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    My favourite Indie store went belly-up last year.

Yeah, happy freakin' Independent Record Store Day.

I recall about 60 bazillion posts from you about ordering music online?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I recall about 60 bazillion posts from you about ordering music online?
    Not that I need to justify my actions to you elf-boy, but my Indie store stocked a lot of metal and prog but sold very little alternative or popular music. Plus, I only discovered the store about 1.5 years before it went under. So, yes, I ordered a lot of stuff on-line. Still do. Only now I try to order from independent on-line stores like http://www.lasercd.com/ and http://synphonic.8m.com/.

I didn't go last year, nor will I likely make it this year, but I think it's a great idea. The local record store has live music all day and a bunch of give-aways. It's just too bad something like this is needed to spark interest in the brick and mortar stores.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

42 Regular
    I'm planning on stopping by good ol' Kiss The Sky Records in Geneva, IL tomorrow. Maybe pick up the new one from Besnard Lakes while I'm there.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I went last year and had a good time. No live bands per se, but to or three really good street performers and two or three not-so-good ones. One guy, whom I think was uninvited, showed up with his guitar and dude was absolutely tweakin; he strumed his "5-string" and chewed every word...he thought he was da shizzle! Some people even clapped when he stopped just egg him on. I visited a couple of stores, a couple of eateries. I won a free CD that I've listened maybe 3 times since.

Hopefully I can make it again this year.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information