R.I.P. to Bob Welch.

The story in the newspaper says the former member of Fleetwood Mac died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and left a suicide note. He's apparently been having some serious health issues and I suppose his outlook was bleak. Damn.

I saw him live at JFK Stadium in Philly when he doing his solo stuff after releasing his first record (I think) and had that big hit 'Ebony Eyes'. Fleetwood Mac was the featured performer that day, but there were something like 10 different bands that day, and it was a scorcher. The temps had to be in the 90s.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Forum Regular
    Yup..................here is the LAT obit :

Bob Welch dies at 66; Fleetwood Mac guitarist and singer - latimes.com

After Fleetwood Mac but before "Ebony Eyes", Welch formed a band called PARIS..............I was playing the rock scene in Dallas at the time and our band learned the PARIS hit, "BLACK BOOK".......a hard rockin' tune that was a surprise coming from someone like Welch..........it was fairly popular in 1976.

After "Ebony Eyes" I saw his band open for some act in Dallas...........can't remember who.
    The band sounded good but I remember Welch being very upset with the sound company.

RIP, indeed.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    ...... or the fact that Triumvirat had just opened the show and blew everybody away with their performance.
    By far, my favorite prog band. I have most of their studio offerings. IMO, they didn't achieve the status they deserved. And this is coming from a staunch Blues guy.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I must have seen him when I saw Fleetwood Mac in Philly in 74, but I don't remember him. That might have been because I was really looking forward to seeing Jefferson Starship who was the headline act, or the fact that Triumvirat had just opened the show and blew everybody away with their performance.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I wonder if Welch ever regretted leaving Fleetwood Mac. Evidently he was asked to stay, but was wanting to strike out on his own.

Can't say I was a huge fan of pre-Buckingham FM, but there are some gems. The only Welch-era album I like is Bare Trees.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Big Town 2061

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    or the fact that Triumvirat had just opened the show and blew everybody away with their performance.
    Oh man, you got to see Triumvirat live? I've always wondered why there is no live material from them other than a few tracks on the re-releases of their CDs a bunch of years back. There must be something kicking around somewhere. Even Starcastle was able to come up with a show.

I loved that first Paris album - it was so quirky, but heavy. And Big Town 2061 wasn't bad either. I don't think either of them are available on iTunes. I once saw the first Paris CD where there were still CD stores, but it was a really expensive import. I still have the vinyl though.
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

Thread Information