Suspended

Anyone see Guitarfest on PBS?

I came in on this 15 minutes in and missed Santana and Buddy Guy, I think. I didn't catch where it was filmed but it was warm and sunny. Lots of good performances by
    James Taylor
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Vaughen
    BB King
    and many others. The performer who stole the show (IMHO) was John Maher. I didn't know just how talented he was until he played 5 minutes of Jimi-ish riffs, leading in to one of his own songs. I had only heard him play acoustic before this.

Clapton did After Midnight with JJ Kale at a much different tempo than normal.

If you have not seen this, check your PBS listings for when it comes on in your neck of the woods.

Hyfi

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I came in on this 15 minutes in and missed Santana and Buddy Guy, I think. I didn't catch where it was filmed but it was warm and sunny. Lots of good performances by
    James Taylor
    Eric Clapton
    Jimmy Vaughen
    BB King
    and many others. The performer who stole the show (IMHO) was John Maher. I didn't know just how talented he was until he played 5 minutes of Jimi-ish riffs, leading in to one of his own songs. I had only heard him play acoustic before this.

Clapton did After Midnight with JJ Kale at a much different tempo than normal.

If you have not seen this, check your PBS listings for when it comes on in your neck of the woods.

Hyfi
    Thanks for the headsup. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Speaking of music on PBS, Austin City Limits has recently released 4 DVDs, including Steve Earl's performance in 1986. They have a plan underway to release as much as they can but it will be slow-going. Also, the '04-'05 Austin City Limits schedule includes the following:

The Flaming Lips
    The Shins
    Wilco
    Elvis Costello
    The Pixies
    and ASL regulars like Patty Griffin, Cheryl Crow and Lyle Lovett

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    The performer who stole the show (IMHO) was John Maher. I didn't know just how talented he was until he played 5 minutes of Jimi-ish riffs, leading in to one of his own songs.
    That's disturbing, as my opinion of Maher is... not good. The fact you didn't say anything that positive about his actual songwriting, singing or style tells me maybe (?) he's simply a good guitar technician that's following the Peter Principle. (I don't mean to dump on him, but his persona effects me a little like April Livigne, although I admit I haven't given him a fair hearing).

I've seen it advertised on PBS, so I'll check it out. BTW, my niece who's in High School saw Mayer a year or 2 ago... maybe that's part of my hesitation... she tends towards the teen dance-pop stuff. My nephew plays the guitar, and although he's only in Jr-high, he can play Jimi's riffs damn good too... LOL.

PBS also had a guitar special last summer with a dozen "unknowns", all competing in a playoff type "competition". The "finals" were a live concert where they each played for 10-15 minutes. Completely different styles. but quite fun to watch. They had cams off stage etc, and showed the ups & downs all performers go through. Worth watching for musicians and guitarists.
    You don't know... jack

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Wink

I know a John Maher. He plays the local bar scene. Fratboy who picked up an acoustic 6-string to get laid. I haven't heard him pull out any Jimi-style pyrotechnics yet. Maybe requests for "Purple Haze" are in order?

Never even heard of April Livigne. Isn't she from that great big cold place up there? Montana maybe?

Oh, you meant John Mayer and Avril Lavigne! No-talent assclowns extraordinaire. Not to be confused with Mr. Maher, who is...a no-talent assclown extraordinaire. Except that he isn't making a cent. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LOSE.. er, I mean UNDERGROUND ARTISTS!

; P
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Thread Information