Suspended

New: The Orb featuring David Gilmour

The album is Metallic Spheres, I thought you all who are Electronica/New Age fans or a Gilmour fan, such as I, might be interested in this project. This is not my core genre nor am I that familiar with The Orb so I reserve giving too much of a critique. Gilmour's guitar contribution was finely woven into the soundscape, I was hoping for maybe a couple out front hot runs but it just didn't happen. You can hear Gilmour's guitar when it's there and it is an attribute to the project but it never took prominence any where. At the first of the album I could detect some Floyd like familiar licks and later on an acoustic guitar sounded a bit like coming through a transistor radio for a moment then sounding normal as on the Wishing You Were Here album but other than that I didn't pick up on any other Floyd simularities. If you are a headphone listener I highly recommend this album for you. Even through speakers the surround effect was quite good for 2-channel. This is the kind of stuff that would be cool with a tasty 5.1 mix.

If this is your type of music I also recommend Fever Ray.

I saw this one in the store the other day. I hadn't listened to the orb since high school. I was in love w/ the '93 Live album for a while.

I think I'd probably like to give it another try. Maybe not this album, something older. I think that kind of like what Autechre has done as I have moved from better to better systems, the detail in the sound and captivation of the music has opened up. Especially on Tri Repetae. This album is, unfortunately to use this cliche phrase, like an onion. The more detail in a system the more sounds start coming out of never before heard places. And I've been listening to this album since college.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't think Gilmour has any hot runs in him any more (don't say it!). His 'On An Island' has its moments, but its mostly a snoozer.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Suspended
    I'll have to check out that 93 album, if nothing else just to get a better feel for The Orb.

The Orb is - at least in my opinion - more of a 'drop some acid, lock our self in a warm padded room with large pillows - a fantastic sound system - maybe a message therapist - and trip out', kind of electronic music.

Don't say what?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I don't think Gilmour has any hot runs in him any more (don't say it!). His 'On An Island' has its moments, but its mostly a snoozer.
    You mean a double entendre about 'hot runs'. I don't think any of our honorable RR members would have anything to do with that.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information