Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

New Metallica, any opinions yet?

I heard the first single. When I heard the melodic beginning I thought, "hey, this could be something", but it seems the song went down hill from there. I heard it a couple times and it might grow on me but I doubt it. The song has a melodic beginning, then a formula Metallica ballad type vocal, then goes into a instrumental passage that eventually ends the song. The guitar on the ending instrumental part sounds like amateur hour, talk about garage days revisited. I'll wait to hear more before forming an opinion on the album but I'm not sure Metallica knows what to do after the backlash from St. Anger. But I can respect something new, a new direction, more than a remake of the Sandman album.

Not a fan & never was, & I didn't care for the single that was streamed. But a friend played me a couple of other songs from the the album yesterday & they were decent, at least to these ears.

And I never thought I'd say that.

I don't like others.

Suspended
    So that would lead me to believe something a bit different from them may be on this album.

Suspended
    Didn't even know they'd released anything Mr. P. Thanks for the heads-up.

The only thing that would suck would be... Lars is still with the band.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    First thoughts on a few tunes I'v heard are that it is so infinitely superior to anything St. Anger ever was or tried to be...

Here's hoping they should take a page out of Megadeth, who've put out 2 absolutely killer albums in a row reverting to a style more reminiscent of what got them to the big show in the first place.

I'm reserving judgement on this one...if Metallica puts out a solid B+ album or better, I hope they call it a day and go out on a high note.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    There's new Metallica? That's kinda funny. I was listening to the s/t album on the way into work this morning and wondering what their newer stuff sounded like. I'm very late to the party on this band, really only discovering an appreciation for them last year with Metallica and Master of Puppets being added to my collection.

I haven't heard the new single but I'll look out for the new disk.

Suspended
    Kex, the question would be, is it infinitely superior to the likes of Ride The Lightning or In Justice. If you've heard some good Megadeth, drop some titles. They don't seem to get much radio support in this area.

Some Kind Of Monster killed Metallica for me, but if they could at least return to the form that drew me in (Black Album) and turn the volume on the bass up to at least '5', I'd give some serious attention.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Mistah Peabody, if I may, I'd recommend that you start your Mega-pilgrimage with Rude Awakenings. It's a collection type-thang, a couple of disc in length, that does a great job of covering the basics. It's available on cd and dvd. While the vid quality might not knock your socks off--especially with your recent forays into Blu--it's solid and there's some great mixes.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/musica/...2-Mirrors.html (check 3/4 of the way down the page)

I like Hetfield but, frankly, IMO the rest of 'em can go away and stay away. I'm prolly one of the few out there that infinitely prefers Megadeth to Metallica. Ride The Lightening and Master of Puppets are really the only two Metallica albums worth a listen, again IMO. Mustaine and his cast of changing characters put forth much greater driving and challenging materials. From what I know of your tastes you may well come to the same conclusion.

Suspended
    I have a couple Megadeth, Symphoney of Destruction and Youthanasia. I'm just not sure what albums after that are good. I know Kex said their last album was good but the Rock station played a Megadeth song a year or so ago I didn't care for. They played it a few times like it might be new and then I didn't hear it anymore. You'd think a Rock station would spin some Megadeth once in awhile.

I've got Ride the Lightning, In Justice and some how ended up with the black album.

Well, I'll stick with my my original rec but if you're deadset (or is it dedset) against replicating material I'd guess that "The World Needs A Hero" would be the next in line.

Could go older too. Ain't nothin' wrong with some "Peace Sells..."

Forum Regular
    Everything I have heard so far has been God awful. these clowns havent put out anything good since And Justice For All. It's time for my once favorite band to hang it up.

Suspended
    These guys can't get a break any more, now some one is suing them because their record levels on the new album are maxed to the point of distortion. I'm just taking their word for it at this point. I am so happy though that this has happened maybe the attention will be enough to reverse the trend. If I find an article I will post it, I believe there is an interview with the guy or something in Rolling Stone.

Amazing what getting rid of producer Bob Rock has done for Metallica.

Death Magnetic is easily their best album since the black album (Metallica's first album working with Bob Rock), and probably their best one since ...And Justice For All. After the Bob Rock era pushed Metallica further and further from their speed metal/thrash roots with each successive album, this is Metallica getting back to sounding like ... well ... Metallica. They are very clearly trying to channel the sound that they created on Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. And to a large degree, they've succeeded and that should be reason to rejoice for long time fans (like me).

That said, this is an uneven album that could've easily been named More Justice For All (in much the same way that Reload hinted that it was a continuation of Load). The sprawling song lengths with myriad time and key changes and riffs galore are very reminiscent of ...And Justice For All. That was the culmination of where Metallica's early sound was headed. At that point, they needed a clean break and teaming with Bob Rock for the black album provided that break.

Now, 20 years later, they needed another clean break, because St Anger was the culmination of what the Bob Rock-era had been about -- shorter songs, fewer riffs, getting away from nihilistic lyrics, etc. Getting back to the sound from their 1980s heyday is a good reference point. But, it also hints that Metallica's done with pushing the boundaries and reinventing themselves, and content with getting back to their roots and the sound/formula that they popularized, and exploring their music within those limits.

Overall, this is a welcome return to the vintage Metallica sound and song structure, but it does not surpass those albums in their scope, ambition, and just plain rage.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I've got Ride the Lightning, In Justice and some how ended up with the black album.
    Your next Metallica purchase absolutely should be Master of Puppets. That's not only Metallica's best album, but it's also my personal pick for best metal album period. Since Metallica's new album is using that album as a reference point, you might as well buy the real thing.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    Wooch I think you are pretty right on with your comments. I heard the new album on the radio last night and it was on in the background, so not getting my full attention but my impression was there's no doubt when you hear it it's Metallica but it didn't impress me enough to put it on my purchase list and Amazon is selling it dirt cheap for a new release, if it hasn't changed it's $8.99. There was a couple songs I really liked but for the most part it seemed to lack something. Maybe it was the "rage" you mentioned or hunger. I personally like In Justice For All a lot. It's my second favorite with Ride The Lightning being the fav. I do plan to get the MOP album at some point.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Death Magnetic is easily their best album since the black album (Metallica's first album working with Bob Rock), and probably their best one since ...And Justice For All. After the Bob Rock era pushed Metallica further and further from their speed metal/thrash roots with each successive album, this is Metallica getting back to sounding like ... well ... Metallica. They are very clearly trying to channel the sound that they created on Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All. And to a large degree, they've succeeded and that should be reason to rejoice for long time fans (like me).

That said, this is an uneven album that could've easily been named More Justice For All (in much the same way that Reload hinted that it was a continuation of Load). The sprawling song lengths with myriad time and key changes and riffs galore are very reminiscent of ...And Justice For All. That was the culmination of where Metallica's early sound was headed. At that point, they needed a clean break and teaming with Bob Rock for the black album provided that break.

Now, 20 years later, they needed another clean break, because St Anger was the culmination of what the Bob Rock-era had been about -- shorter songs, fewer riffs, getting away from nihilistic lyrics, etc. Getting back to the sound from their 1980s heyday is a good reference point. But, it also hints that Metallica's done with pushing the boundaries and reinventing themselves, and content with getting back to their roots and the sound/formula that they popularized, and exploring their music within those limits.

Overall, this is a welcome return to the vintage Metallica sound and song structure, but it does not surpass those albums in their scope, ambition, and just plain rage.
    Well said. I've been listening to it all day today and it's truly their best since the Black Album. Great long instrumental tracks. Just a greta album to sit back and enjoy.

Suspended
    Either Thursday or Friday I heard the album sold 860k copies. So I guess folks are liking it.

I can't agree with everyone else's sentiments on "The Black Album" and "...Injustice for All"...hated 'em both...but, IMO your next purchase should absolutely be "Master of Puppets". Brilliant piece of wax.

Forum Regular
    Doesnt mean they like it, just means they bought it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Either Thursday or Friday I heard the album sold 860k copies. So I guess folks are liking it.

Forum Regular
    Sorry to diagree, but this aint vintage metallica. This album sounds horrible, James's vocals are just awful, and Lars had become a horrible drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Mistah Peabody, if I may, I'd recommend that you start your Mega-pilgrimage with Rude Awakenings. It's a collection type-thang, a couple of disc in length, that does a great job of covering the basics. It's available on cd and dvd. While the vid quality might not knock your socks off--especially with your recent forays into Blu--it's solid and there's some great mixes.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/musica/...2-Mirrors.html (check 3/4 of the way down the page)

I like Hetfield but, frankly, IMO the rest of 'em can go away and stay away. I'm prolly one of the few out there that infinitely prefers Megadeth to Metallica. Ride The Lightening and Master of Puppets are really the only two Metallica albums worth a listen, again IMO. Mustaine and his cast of changing characters put forth much greater driving and challenging materials. From what I know of your tastes you may well come to the same conclusion.
    I know I've been MIA, sorry, it's been a busy month!
    For Megadeth, I like Rust In Peace and Countdown to Extinction...then The System Has Failed, and Peace Sells.
    Thing with Megadeth that Metallica never really got - no matter how weak a bad album got, they still had 1 or 2 killer tunes that made it worth the effort.

As for Metallica albums...my favs in this order:
    1)...And Justice For All - though so horribly recorded, the music is untouchable
    2) Black Album
    3) Master of Puppets
    3) Ride the Lightning

That's not a type-o...they followed the same damn formula for those 2 albums, not unlike what modern metal acts like Opeth the likes did early in their careers..if it ain't broke don't fix it. A good tie for #3, some days MOP wins, somedays the bell tolls for Lightning...

After that - ReLoad had a few good tunes...Kill'em All was kind of fun, and everything else sucks. My favorite Metallica album is probably S&M because the symphony works so well with their earlier music.

As for their latest - I'm disappointed - it's not horrible, has it's moments, but it just comes across as insincere. Dunno why, but it just doesn't have the same pissed off intensity that I liked about Metallica years ago, or that Megadeth was able to recapture after Risk...but it's better than the last 3 studio releases and people seem to be enjoying it. I've changed my opinion on Metallica...

They no longer suck...now it's "they just don't rock like they used to"

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    ...Lars had become a horrible drummer.
    Just curious why you say this.

Thanks,

fp

nightflier
    I know it seems trite to ask, but with Metallica it's also always a question of quality. How is the new album recorded?

P.S. Just for the record, I made a decision some time ago to boycott the band because of their asinine position on digital downloads. I really liked the band initially, but I've stuck to my principles with them. I do have their early CDs, but after the Black Album, it all started to sound the same, anyhow. Besides that, there's lots of other great bands out there. Not trying to muddy the water, here, just mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Just curious why you say this.

Thanks,

fp
    IMO, he hasn't become a horrible drummer...he's become a horrible recording artist.Clearly, years of touring has destroyed his ears as well as Hetfield's and certainly Hammet's.

If I ever allowed anything so terrible sounding as "Injustice.." to be released I would desolve the band immediately and all this discussion about subsequent dreck would be obviated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information