• 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
    TIC
    Need track list from old Rave Recordings compilation from late 90s, early 2000s...
    I haven't been on AR or Rave Recordings for many years. Good to see it is still going well. Anyway, I received a compliation disk from an AR member sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s and I've lost the track listing. If anyone remembers this compilation and has the track listing, I would be most grateful.

The compliation started with the Steve Earle/Lucinda Williams duet "You're Still Standing There". It also included a version of Gregory issac's "Night Nurse", Elvis Costello's "Riot Act" and Rush's "Digital Man". It's also got some more obscure stuff, like Tom Verlaine's "Call Mr. Lee" and some other interesting stuff I can no longer identify.

So, if any of you old timers remember this compilation and have a track listing, please post it here. Also, thanks to the original compiler, whoever you were. Sorry, I forgot who sent it to me, but "Thanks Again!". I've been enjoying it off and on for many years....

Enjoy,

TIC
  • 03-24-2007, 07:34 AM
    Jim Clark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TIC
    I haven't been on AR or Rave Recordings for many years. Good to see it is still going well. Anyway, I received a compliation disk from an AR member sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s and I've lost the track listing. If anyone remembers this compilation and has the track listing, I would be most grateful.

The compliation started with the Steve Earle/Lucinda Williams duet "You're Still Standing There". It also included a version of Gregory issac's "Night Nurse", Elvis Costello's "Riot Act" and Rush's "Digital Man". It's also got some more obscure stuff, like Tom Verlaine's "Call Mr. Lee" and some other interesting stuff I can no longer identify.

So, if any of you old timers remember this compilation and have a track listing, please post it here. Also, thanks to the original compiler, whoever you were. Sorry, I forgot who sent it to me, but "Thanks Again!". I've been enjoying it off and on for many years....

Enjoy,

TIC

nothing there really jogs my memory but I'll pull out the old binders and see if I asked for it. Do you have any recall at all of the title or author?

jc
  • 03-24-2007, 07:45 AM
    MindGoneHaywire
    I have it, I'll have to dig it up. It was a big group comp project with Yes, the Jam, Elvis Costello, Victor Wooten I think...the Steve Earle track was a duet, can't remember with whom, but it was a varied comp. Unless somebody beats me to it I'll try to get it up later on today.
  • 03-24-2007, 07:50 AM
    TIC
    Jim,

Nope, I've only got a blank white CD with no notations at all on it. I do remember that it was from one of the regulars from back in the day. It has 19 total tracks. In addition to the ones I've already listed, I do know that it has "The Brother" from Robben Ford and the Blue Line.

Hope this helps. I'd really like to identify some of the stuff on the compilation.

Enjoy,

TIC
  • 03-24-2007, 08:01 AM
    MindGoneHaywire
    The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

1. Steve Earle—You’re Still Standing There
    2. Yes—Tempus Fugit
    3. Gregory Isaacs—Night Nurse
    4. John Campbell—Voodoo Edge
    5. Laika—Glory Cloud
    6. Girls Against Boys—Kill The Sexplayer
    7. Porcupine Tree—Moonloop
    8. Elvis Costello—R/iot Act
    9. Gentle Giant—Think Of Me With Kindness
    10. Robben Ford—The Brother (For Jimmie & Stevie)
    11. Rush—Digital Man
    12. Big Star—September Gurls
    13. Nick Lowe—Switchboard Susan
    14. Joe Ely—The Road Goes On Forever
    15. Flower Kings—Attack Of The Killer Briefcase
    16. Television—Call Mr. Lee
    17. Gang Of Four—Natural’s Not In It
    18. Victor Wooten—Hip Bop
    19. Black Star—Definition

I don't have the nominating parties handy, but the disc itself is around here somewhere, so if I can get my paws on it I'll see if I can't add that.
  • 03-24-2007, 08:52 AM
    Davey
    What J said. It was our first group comp. Listings for all of them at http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/rave-recordings-group-comps-2084.html and last time I checked, you can still download the muy excellente cover art by our esteemed (and published!!!) good ol' rave recs buddy Troy at his site (linked in the link above), which includes a who's who and description for all the selections.
  • 03-24-2007, 09:05 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
    What J said. It was our first group comp. Listings for all of them at http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2084 and last time I checked, you can still download the muy excellente cover art by our esteemed (and published!!!) good ol' rave recs buddy Troy at his site (linked in the link above), which includes a who's who and description for all the selections.

Hey, Daveyboy, I gots a little somethin' I wanna send you. ;) Are you still on First St? If not, PM me with your latest address.
  • 03-24-2007, 09:30 AM
    TIC
    Thaks All! That's the one.

I've been listening to it off/on for many years. I had totally lost any idea of some of the artist, like Victor Wooten and Black Star. There's some good stuff on here.

Enjoy,

TIC
  • 03-24-2007, 12:13 PM
    Jim Clark
    Oh yeah, course I still have that one. Troys original artwork and all.

Speaking of Troy, his interview is pretty funny. Assuming you've all seen/heard it.

No?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17759883

jc
  • 03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
    Rae
    Wow, hard to believe that was 7 years ago. Do you guys still do these? Is there gonna be a Rave Recs 10th Anniversary comp? ;-)

~Rae
  • 03-25-2007, 12:43 AM
    BradH
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae
    Wow, hard to believe that was 7 years ago.

WTF??!!

Long time no see. I thought maybe you were in prison or joined the Hell's Angels or something.
  • 03-25-2007, 08:11 AM
    Rae
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
    Long time no see. I thought maybe you were in prison or joined the Hell's Angels or something.

Man, if I was in prison, I'd be posting here all the time! I bet that half of the regulars on this board are posting from prison right now!

~Rae
  • 03-25-2007, 11:01 AM
    TIC
    ...joined Hell's Angels first, then prison (that's the typical scenario). They have great internet access in "the big house"!.

hehe!

For me, actually life got in the way for a while. Marriage, house, kid, yada, yada. Also, audioreview was not headed in a good direction at the time, so I moved to an alternate audio site. Looks like it has gotten back on track. Good deal!

Interesting that my user name and password were still valid, but my post count was reset to zero.

I'm happy to see that some of you old timers are keeping the faith and continue to promote great music, not just great equipment.

BTW, from the sampler in question, "Definition" by Black Star is probably the only hard core Hip Hop tune I ever play. I love it!

Enjoy,

TIC
    (Tom In Cincinnati)
  • 03-25-2007, 11:25 AM
    Jim Clark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae
    Man, if I was in prison, I'd be posting here all the time! I bet that half of the regulars on this board are posting from prison right now!

~Rae

hi Rae!

jc
  • 03-26-2007, 02:32 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae
    Wow, hard to believe that was 7 years ago. Do you guys still do these? Is there gonna be a Rave Recs 10th Anniversary comp? ;-)

~Rae

DOH

Where the heck have you been boy?!?!?!

:)

howzzit hangin' ?

-jar
  • 03-26-2007, 02:34 AM
    -Jar-
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Oh yeah, course I still have that one. Troys original artwork and all.

Speaking of Troy, his interview is pretty funny. Assuming you've all seen/heard it.

No?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17759883

jc

Troy is da man.

Er, should I say.. da garbage man..

:)
  • 03-26-2007, 04:42 AM
    Stone
    Quote:

Looking for a museum run by retired strip-tease dancers ...
    This is how all of my road trips start out.
  • 03-27-2007, 05:25 AM
    Swish
    Rae? OMG. To quote Brad...WTF?!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae

~Rae

We had given you up for dead dude. The last I recall you were headed toward NYC on some party bus or somethin', hitting a bunch of music festivals and what not. Are you finally out of school? Did you finally turn 21? Did you sprout your first pubic hair? Inquiring minds want to know!

Say, I still spin a bunch of the cds you sent my way, most notably some of the more obscure Replacements, and even those weird comps from that dj in Seattle. That was you who sent them, correct? Scout Radio Manual, and another I can't recall off the top.

Anyhoot, good to see you post and I hope you venture back again sometime soon.

Swish Baby (you added the Baby piece to my moniker, remember?)
  • 03-27-2007, 09:14 AM
    Rae
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TIC
    "Definition" by Black Star is probably the only hard core Hip Hop tune I ever play.

Glad you're into that track, Tom. Interesting that those guys have really gone on to break into the mainstream and spawn a whole scene... I first saw Kanye West when Talib Kweli brought him onstage to do a verse or two at a show at First Ave in a bout 2002, and now he's ubiquitous. Of course, Mos Def has kind of made a name in movies, too, like The Woodsman, 16 Blocks, and The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Lately I've been grooving on last year's record from Lupe Fiasco. If you like Black Star, you should check that out, especially the single "Kick, Push".

Oh, and I think that the post counts were reset when they switched over to the new software. I guess we'll just have to spend a little time with "AR Newbie" attached to our names. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jar
    Where the heck have you been boy?!?!?!

Oh, I've been around... I've been taking care of business for a while in the real world. I'm not really all that wired these days, so I haven't really had the chance to check in here that much. How are things for you? How's the family?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish
    Are you finally out of school? Did you finally turn 21? Did you sprout your first pubic hair? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hmm... well, as you may remember, I started posting on this board at the ripe old age of 17. I'll tell you that I was pushing 19 when we did that comp and let you do the math.

Quote:

Say, I still spin a bunch of the cds you sent my way...those weird comps from that dj in Seattle. That was you who sent them, correct? Scout Radio Manual, and another I can't recall off the top.

I actually think you sent those to me. They certainly didn't originate here. I only fuzzily remember what was on them, although I do recall that I tried to track down an obscure track from a band called Reclinerland and ended up corresponding with that guy from time to time.

Quote:

We had given you up for dead dude. The last I recall you were headed toward NYC on some party bus or somethin', hitting a bunch of music festivals and what not.

Man, that trip was about four years ago... it was a great one, though. I ended up getting to meet several of the RR regulars in person including Stone, J, cc, and Darius. I saw some great music too; Darius actually scored us tickets to see Wilco when I was in NYC and ended up in some VH1 documentary when a camera crew was interviewing people in line outside the show. I'm prone to freak out from time to time (usually when it's nearing the end of a 7-month Minnesota winter and I'm going stir-crazy) and hop on a Greyhound just to get out of the city... I've actually visited Stone and J a couple times and they've been very accommodating hosts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish Baby!!
    (you added the Baby piece to my moniker, remember?)

I REMEMBER, BABY!!

~Rae
  • 03-27-2007, 09:53 AM
    Swish
    That was the funniest line in the story..
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stone
    This is how all of my road trips start out.

...but it didn't surprise me, judging by what I've seen from him to this point.

Swish
  • 03-27-2007, 09:57 AM
    Swish
    I actually met up with J as well...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae
    Man, that trip was about four years ago... it was a great one, though. I ended up getting to meet several of the RR regulars in person including Stone, J, cc, and Darius. I saw some great music too; Darius actually scored us tickets to see Wilco when I was in NYC and ended up in some VH1 documentary when a camera crew was interviewing people in line outside the show. I'm prone to freak out from time to time (usually when it's nearing the end of a 7-month Minnesota winter and I'm going stir-crazy) and hop on a Greyhound just to get out of the city... I've actually visited Stone and J a couple times and they've been very accommodating hosts.

I REMEMBER, BABY!!

~Rae

...when my last job got me into the NY area for awhile. I think it was last summer actually. We had a really good time, although it was for only a few hours or so. I lost NY from my region and then changed jobs, so it's unlikely I'll get there anytime soon.

Anyway, I hope you try to stop by here once in a blue moon, ok?

Swish Baby
  • 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
    Slosh
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae
    ~Rae

eaR~!

I thought maybe you forgot how to type of something. Now if we could only get Snowflakey to appear out of the ether.

NP: