Need some help

Printable View

• 01-04-2006, 08:36 AM
    unleasHell
    Need some help
    I am planning a Comp CD with songs that feature Acoustic-type (mellow) guitar with synthesizer or electronics as well. I am NOT looking for songs with the typical loud electric guitar.

Some of the songs I have already thought of are:

1) Wish You Were Here: Pink Floyd
    2) We Took the Wrong Step Years ago: Hawkwind
    3) From the Beginning: ELP
    4) Several Songs from Spacious Minds

Can anyone reccomend any others?

thanks
  • 01-04-2006, 09:02 AM
    Hyfi
    Is this a Rock only request?

Anything by Craig Chaquico would work.
  • 01-04-2006, 09:21 AM
    richmon
    survey says
    Sounds like a good comp theme idea you're cooking up.
    maybe Grantchester Meadows off Ummagumma
    Any of the first three songs from Opeths Damnation
    PTree's Trains
    Should be lots of Strawbs tunes that fit the criteria
  • 01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
    Dave_G
    Probably some Camel toonage would work too.

And of course a toon from Harvest (Neil Young)

Dave
  • 01-04-2006, 11:20 AM
    Troy
    Hide your love away- The BeAtles
    Here Comes the Sun- The Beatles
    Matte Kudasai- King Crimson
    Hypnotized- Fleetwood Mac
    Ripples- Genesis
    Opel- RPWL
    History Never Repeats- Split Enz
    Apollo- Tony Levin Band
    Turn of the Century- Yes
    Russian Hill-Jellyfish
    Bedspring Kiss- Jellyfish
    Mother Goose- Tull (buncha other Tull too)
    Heaven or Las Vegas- Cocteau Twins
    American Dreaming- Dead can Dance
    Duende- Bozzio Levin Stevens
  • 01-04-2006, 01:00 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Dire Straits (Where Do You Think You're Going? comes to mind)
  • 01-04-2006, 02:54 PM
    BarryL
    Interesting
    Quote:

Originally Posted by unleasHell
    I am planning a Comp CD with songs that feature Acoustic-type (mellow) guitar with synthesizer or electronics as well.

Can anyone reccomend any others?

thanks

A bit of a chill-out idea, it sounds to me.

I'll give this some thought.

Immediately comes to mind are the bands Air and Dusted. King Crimson's I Talk To The Wind might work.
  • 01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
    Javier
    excellent comp idea i will include
    Porcupine tree stars die and moonloop from sky moves sideways lips for ashes from in absentia.
    Katmandu from cat stevens mona bone jackon.
    Genesis Dusk from trespass and blood on the rooftops from wind and wuthering.
    jethro tull wond'ring aloud from aqualung, life is a long song from living on the past
    isolation years from opeth ghost reveries
  • 01-04-2006, 10:31 PM
    unleasHell
    Troy said: Hypnotized- Fleetwood Mac, wow, I haven't heard that song in years, always loved it though, wasn't it about UFO's? love mother goose too, but I don't think it has any synth's or electonics in it...

HiFi said: Anything by Craig Chaquico would work. Never heard of him, but I'll do a bit of research, is he New Age?

I gotta pull out those porcupine tree/genesis CD's,

I don't have any operth's, I thought they were prog-metal? they have acoustic guitar songs?

thanks to all and keep em coming!! remember, not just acoustic, the songs need to have some tripped out synth's or electronic floating about, which reminds me I should check out Starman by Bowie...

I'll throw a post up when I have finalized the comp and anyone who helps/contributes can get a copy, the Spacious Mind stuff will blow yours (minds that is)...
  • 01-05-2006, 01:28 AM
    3-LockBox
    hhmmm...
    The acoustic version of 'Nine Cats' off of PT's reissued album Insignificance (I have it)

'Brown Eyes' by Fleetwood Mac off of their Tusk album (very etherial tune by Miss McVie) I have it

'I'd Like That' by XTC off their Apple Venus v. 1 album (I have it)

I assume you already have something in mind from Joy Division/New Order

'Fragile' by Sting from his Nothing Like The Sun album

'Little Wing' by SRV from his Sky Is Crying album (its mellow, then tough, then mellow...), or maybe 'Life By The Drop' from the same CD.

'Chatauqua' by Spock's Beard from their Beware Of Darkness album, or 'June' from their Kindness Of Strangers album.

Maybe something from Steve Wilson's Blackfield project, but I can't recall the song right now...maybe I need to go home and whip it out (the CD) and listen to it again.

Maybe some old Floyd...

Anyhoo, I'll keep thinking....
  • 01-05-2006, 04:34 AM
    Mike
    Quote:

I don't have any operth's, I thought they were prog-metal? they have acoustic guitar songs?

Opeths Damnation is virtually all acoustic none of that growly vocal stuff, it's the only one of theirs I have and like.

For the comp hows about something from Becks' Sea Change album lots of dreamy synth sounds and acoustics, or something from the Blue Nile albums.

Cheers
    Mike
  • 01-05-2006, 05:25 AM
    BinFrog
    Pearl Jam - Of The Girl
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    Jane's Addiction - Classic Girl
  • 01-05-2006, 06:22 AM
    Dave_G
    Gary Numan - "Remind me to Smile"

Full of swirly synth stuff.

Hen, from all these suggestions, you could make a comp boxed set!

Dave
  • 01-05-2006, 09:03 AM
    BarryL
    Some More
    Quote:

I am planning a Comp CD with songs that feature Acoustic-type (mellow) guitar with synthesizer or electronics as well.

Take a look at Camel's Moon Madness, Rain Dances or Breathless CD. Maybe even I Can See Your House From Here.

Anathema may have some stuff that fits.

How about Tangerine Dream. Maybe something from Force Majure. Some of their Virgin stuff has femal vocals, perhaps Stratosphere or Cyclone.
  • 01-05-2006, 09:06 AM
    BarryL
    Yeah, Numan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Gary Numan - "Remind me to Smile"

Full of swirly synth stuff.

Hen, from all these suggestions, you could make a comp boxed set!

Dave

Good one Dave. I was always partial to his second album, the one with Me I Disconect From You.

Also, Be Bop Deluxe's Electrical Language. This was on my 1978 FM comp from a few years back if you have that.

There may also be some Italian Prog that we've overlooked, like PFM or Banco.
  • 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Julia Dream - Pink Floyd -- that kind of thing?
  • 01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
    newtrix1
    May be a bit too common, but…
    Rocket Man - Elton John fits the description or Wild Mountain Honey-Steve Miller….Supertramp (Even in the Quietest Moments?), Let's Pretend - A,B,W&H, plus there's gotta be some XTC that will fit (from Skylarking?), but I'd have to check.
    I had an old cassette with just this type of music, I'll have to on a recon mission to see if it's still around.

Btw, I wouldn't mind a copy of the final product :)
  • 01-12-2006, 06:17 PM
    BarryL
    Another
    Quote:

I am planning a Comp CD with songs that feature Acoustic-type (mellow) guitar with synthesizer or electronics as well. I am NOT looking for songs with the typical loud electric guitar.

Roland Orzabal, Maybe Our Days Are Numbered from Tomcats Screaming Outside