Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Free Comp: Songs of Love and Loss and Longing

Well, since my comps go over so well (*cough, cough*) I’ll post another.

The Sad Song thread spurred me into uploading this because my pick for the saddest song ever written is in here. This is a mostly mellow mix. I can’t resist a little oddball humor now and then, but overall I feel these all have some unique sliver of emotional honesty--although, track 01 is essentially about emotional dishonesty...Hmmm. When I started, I thought I was going to include Lust, but it kind of spoiled the tone.

All tracks are downloadable as single Apple Lossless files. With the exception of Queen of the Surface Streets which is low res. That’s a shame too; it’s a great track--look up the lyrics for an unequivocal expression of what Love is worth. Total time is ~71 mins.

Oh, the saddest song ever is Side of the Road by Lucinda Williams. This woman knows sorrow like nobody else.

(tracks are clickable for your downloading pleasure)
    01 This Is Not A Love Song: Nouvelle Vague (Versions)

02 The Dresses Song: Lisa Germano (Happiness)

03 The Moon: Cat Power (The Greatest)

04 Strayed: (Smog) (Dongs Of Sevotion)

05 Tryin' To Get To Heaven Before They Close The Door: Robyn Hitchcock (Spooked)

06 Queen Of The Surface Streets: DeVotchka (Una Volta)

07 Goodbye Pork Pie Hat: Charles Mingus (Mingus Ah Um)

08 My Love Is You: David Byrne (David Byrne)

09 Rowboat: Beck (Stereopathetic Soul Manure)

10 Please Me Like You Want To: Ben Harper (Fight For Your Mind)

11 Side Of The Road (Live): Lucinda Williams (Lucinda Williams-Reissue)

12 You've Got Her In Your Pocket: The White Stripes (Elephant)

13 Easily Led: (Smog) (Dongs Of Sevotion)

14 I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry: Cowboy Junkies (The Trinity Session)

15 Tye: Rachell’s Weepinge: Kronos Quartet (Early Music)

16 Farewell Reel: Patti Smith (Gone Again)

17 Hope You're Happy: Garth Steel Klippert (Suisol)

Comments in the positive or negative are always good. This forum is getting too quiet.
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 11-07-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Goodbye Porkpie Hat. An instrumental . . that's good. Lonely Woman- Ornette Coleman. Something Cool- June Christy, re-released on 20bit, BTW. If You Go- Shirley Horn. My Man's Gone Now- Gershwin Bros. Lover Man- Billie Holiday. What's New?- Sinatra.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Well, since my comps go over so well (*cough, cough*) I’ll post another.

The Sad Song thread spurred me into uploading this because my pick for the saddest song ever written is in here. ...
    No Air Supply?

I'm all out of love. I'm so lost without you.

How sad it would be to be all out of love. Sniff.

Hey, some good stuff on there! Fight for Your Mind is such a great record, one of my favorites of the last decade. I don't think Ben Harper ever stepped back up to those heights once he brought in the band, but still always entertaining. Either "Another Lonely Day" or "Give a Man a Home" would be my choice, but maybe too obvious ...

It wouldn't have worked out anyway.
    So now it's just another lonely day.
    Further along we just may.
    But for now it's just another lonely day.

Patti Smith has that epic ode to Kurt Cobain called "About A Boy" on Gone Again that would really fit the bill too. Great record, one of her best. And that closer is very sad. Nice job. I can tell that you need some Willard Grant Conspiracy and some Black Heart Procession. Maybe some Tindersticks

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    No Air Supply?

I'm all out of love. I'm so lost without you.

Damn, now I know why my comps struggle. I'm just not hip to all the cool 'in crowd' hits.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Damn, now I know why my comps struggle. I'm just not hip to all the cool 'in crowd' hits.
    That and that many are too lazy, or in my case too much of a Cro-Magnon dullard, to convert Apple Lossless to WMV.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    That and that many are too lazy, or in my case too much of a Cro-Magnon dullard, to convert Apple Lossless to WMV.
    Windows Media Player 11 plays Apple Lossless. No need to convert anything.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    See what I'm sayin'.

Give a man a track and he'll gripe for a day, teach him how to convert and he'll...oh nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    . I can tell that you need some Willard Grant Conspiracy and some Black Heart Procession. Maybe some Tindersticks
    and...I have heard none of the above. hint hint. Now I'm curious. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Goodbye Porkpie Hat. An instrumental . . that's good. Lonely Woman- Ornette Coleman. Something Cool- June Christy, re-released on 20bit, BTW. If You Go- Shirley Horn. My Man's Gone Now- Gershwin Bros. Lover Man- Billie Holiday. What's New?- Sinatra.
    I'm rolling around some songs in my moderate jazz collection for a Romantic jazz comp... I don't have most of those but my choice for Billy would be You go to my head, one where she actually sounds happy rather than heart broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    I can tell that you need some Willard Grant Conspiracy and some Black Heart Procession. Maybe some Tindersticks
    and...I have heard none of the above. hint hint. Now I'm curious.
    If you want, PM me your addy and I'll send you one of these ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Light_So_Dim

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    yeah...

and...I have heard none of the above. hint hint. Now I'm curious. :-)
    You have heard at least two BHP tracks if you d/l'ed my 2006 YEC last year, but those are (relatively) upbeat compared to their earlier albums.

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Oh, yeah. I stand (well, I sit with coffee in hand) corrected. Good stuff!

So...I'm going to do the experiment. I'm willing to snail mail this on an physical CD if anyone is interested. Downloads on show 7 for track one, 2 for tracks 2,4&6, and 1 for the rest. And I can probably guess who has the bandwidth. And, I can probably still do any of the older comps that I've put up. I've enjoyed the CD comps I've received and happy to return the favor.

If anyone is interested PM me.

That looks like a nice comp. I like the Migus tune on there too, another instrumental that sound sad to me is Chico Freeman's "A Child is Born".

I guess my list would include Joy Division's "Love WIll Tear Us Apart" and after seeing Control, "She's Lost Control" has a sad overtone that I never realized before.

The Smith's "How Soon is Now" sounds lonely to me and Violent Femmes "Country Death Song" though not traditionally sad, strikes a chord with me - having a couple of daughters of my own.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

So, I know mediafire.com was acting up around the time I posted the comp. It seems to be back online now, for anyone who wanted to download but was denied.

In retrospect, I also wish that I had substituted this track instead of Easily Led. If anyone would like to update their comp, you can stick this one in instead

13 Dress Sexy at my Funeral: (smog) (Dongs of Sevotion)

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Windows Media Player 11 plays Apple Lossless. No need to convert anything.
    Damned if I can make MP11, or anything else, play this comp. It might as well be on 8-track, as I'd have no way of playing it. And I was looking forward to this comp too. My MP11 has every file type selected. No dice. Same on my laptop. Nero won't play it either. I tried converting it with Goldwave, and no luck there. I'm sure it's operator error - hell, I can't program a Tivo, or a vcr, or play guitar hero ........

If someone can offer an Apple Lossless for dummies, I'd appreciate it.

Just curious - why were the individual tracks uploaded, rather than all at once, or maybe 2 large files?

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Damned if I can make MP11, or anything else, play this comp. It might as well be on 8-track, as I'd have no way of playing it. And I was looking forward to this comp too. My MP11 has every file type selected. No dice. Same on my laptop. Nero won't play it either. I tried converting it with Goldwave, and no luck there. I'm sure it's operator error - hell, I can't program a Tivo, or a vcr, or play guitar hero ........

If someone can offer an Apple Lossless for dummies, I'd appreciate it.

Just curious - why were the individual tracks uploaded, rather than all at once, or maybe 2 large files?

JD
    Maybe you need QuickTime as well? Personally I use the latest beta build of MediaMonkey 3 and never touch WMP or iTunes. dBpowerAMP is free and will let you convert from Apple Lossless to FLAC, WMA Lossless, WAV, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Maybe you need QuickTime as well? Personally I use the latest beta build of MediaMonkey 3 and never touch WMP or iTunes. dBpowerAMP is free and will let you convert from Apple Lossless to FLAC, WMA Lossless, WAV, etc.
    Thanks Slosh, I'll go googling for dBpowerAMP.
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Sounds like Slosh has you on a reasonable path. The files are Apple's Lossless format. On a Mac, the swiss army knife for file conversion is Max.

But I figure the simplest path is to use iTunes and convert to WAV. From there you can use what ever program you are familiar with.

In iTunes preferences you set the 'importing' format to WAV. Then select the songs in iTunes that are Apple Lossless. Under the 'advanced' menu you'll see 'Convert selection to WAV.

good luck!

Thread Information