Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rae

Name the record you have played more than...

...anyone else.

A take off of Swish's post-- do you think there are any albums that you've listened to more times than anyone else? Not just albums that you've played a lot but albums that others are unlikely to have done the same with... XTC's Skylarking may be a great record but it probably wouldn't meet this criteria because lots of folks agree and someone somewhere has probably listened to it even more than Swish has.

I think I have a couple of contenders-- one is Joan of Arc's Guitar Duets. This was a one-off novelty-- a record comprised of all instrumental duets between each of the 10 guitarists that have been in the band at various points throughout its history. It's anomalous within the band's catalog, it isn't very indicative of their usual sound, and it wasn't released on their usual label, so I'm guessing even some of their most hardcore fans didn't buy it or bought it and then dutifully shelved it to collect dust. I, on the other hand, have listened to it hundreds of times, mostly on road trips. Something about the general vibe of it dovetails nicely with a decent book and the open highway. I'd be frankly surprised if even the band has given it as many spins as I have since it came out in 2005.

Another might be Rapider Than Horsepower's Stage Fright Stage Fright, which I had recorded onto a cassette with Joanna Newsom's The Milk-Eyed Mender on the other side and listened to literally multiple times every day for a couple of years. The Newsom isn't a likely candidate for this distinction since she's gone on to some notoriety and garnered plenty of fanatic followers, but Rapider Than Horsepower was a relatively obscure Bloomington, IN band probably best known as the side project of Racebannon vocalist Michael Anderson, themselves a relatively minor star in the early 2000s screamo constellation. It's not an immediately catchy record, it sounds obviously recorded live to tape (so who knows if the band even listened to it that many times when they were releasing it), and the group is long broken up now-- all conditions that make it possible that I've heard it more times through than anyone else.

What about you guys?

~Rae

I really like 13 & God, and I don't know anyone else that does. They have a new one coming out in a week or so. I'm curious to see whether this will be more of a Notwist project like the debut, or if the Themselves side will be more prevalent. Either way I have high expectations.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think I've played Midlake's The Trials Of Van Occupanther more than any of you.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

42 Regular
    I'm fairly certain that, over the years, I've played EIEIO's That Love Thang and Guadalacanal Diary's Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man more than any human being on earth outside the band members and their immediate families.

That might also be true of the Dark Light Daybreak album by Now It's Overhead.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I'm gonna hafta mention a newer album for this one, from 2006 anyway. ISAN's Plans Drawn in Pencil.

It's an analog heavy electronic album that I just can't ever get enough of. Great for late nights or early mornings, it's laid back and mellow, really super warm and melodic. Great enveloping bass and lots of blips and bleeps. If you have any taste for laid back melodic electronic music, you should go grab this. But I have rarely seen it mentioned much...although whenever I do see it mentioned, people who have listened seem to hold it in high regard as well...so I'm not the only one who digs it.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Likely I would have to list The Raincoats Kitchen Tapes album. Released only on cassette originally (ie. from release in 1983 until very recent cd release) on the awesome Roir label. This was the Raincoats live in '82, not really knowing how to play their instruments and performing music that only a tiny group ever cared about anyways. I'm pretty sure it was about this release that I once read a Greil Marcus write-up that described being at this show and when the waiter dropped a tray of glasses, everyone got up to dance 'cause this was as good as it got - musically - for the evening...
    I personally love the raw and tribal punk energy, esp. of side two of this album...something that seems to inform the later stuff of Throwing Muses, Pixies, even Talking Heads, and lately, the mighty BruteHeart and Effie Briest.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Young American Primitive s/t. Because one or two songs have been covered, I may not have listened to it more than anyone else, but among those not in the biz I'm probably close to the top along with one friend who helped me score a copy shortly after it went out of print. It's brilliant electronica but a little dated in spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Regular
    The original UK album.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

Forum Regular
    Chameleons: Script of the Bridge

I think I am going 2,392 times...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I think I've played Midlake's The Trials Of Van Occupanther more than any of you.
    I think that you're right.

This question is more difficult that Swish's question. I think that I have to go with Luke Doucet's Broken (and other Rogue States). When this disk came out I played it daily for months. Sometimes many times per day. This is an awesome disk. Not many people know Luke's music (and even fewer when this disk came out) and of those who do I just can't imagine anyone spinning this disk as much as I did.

I have a little record by Sue Garner and Rick Brown (and friends) called Still that I've mentioned before, and comped in the past, but I don't feel anyone else likes it nearly as much as I do, and I do play it a lot. I could easily believe that I've played it more than just about anybody, even though I think she does have a substantial following. It's one of those albums that is hard to really explain what makes it special, because it honestly isn't all that special, but it just fits really nicely in my life, kind of like the Yo La Tengo record I mentioned in the other thread.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Still is a Great album! I'm sure you've played it more but it remains in regular rotation for me too. One that friends ask who it is and then shrug when I tell them, not knowing the names.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
    Still is a Great album! I'm sure you've played it more but it remains in regular rotation for me too. One that friends ask who it is and then shrug when I tell them, not knowing the names.
    Heehee, why am I not surprised? We do like a lot of the same stuff. Kinda nice sounding little record too. I'm not really a big Tortoise fan, but I do like a lot of stuff that John McEntire works on.

Mutant from table 9
    Not one record, but the entire catalog of Hanoi Rocks. I guarantee I've listened to more Hanoi Rocks than anyone else in this forum. Before the internets, Hanoi Rocks was number one on my list when going to record shows. The internet kind of obviated all that. It is the only band that I've ever collected. $50 for a picture disk? Okay. $30 for a VHS bootleg? Okay. Cassette bootleg? Okay. I've worn out cassettes and LPs. I've re-bought CDs that were scratched to hell. And I still don't think I've ever met anyone in real life who didn't consider Hanoi Rocks more than a footnote in rock and roll, or worse yet, the band that had that guy that Vince Neil killed.

I got into them after they broke up when Axl Rose re-issued their studio records on Uzi Suicide. After 22 years, I still don't get tired of those records. I still listen to them in their entirety at least every two months. One of them is in my car changer almost all the time.

I still remember hearing them for the fist time. It was the first track on their first record, and I was hooked just by the opening guitar riffs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM4BqmRA9WM

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I called my boys in Vegas and...

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    I guarantee I've listened to more Hanoi Rocks than anyone else in this forum.
    ...just on the evidence you've presented they won't take action on this claim. They're pretty sure that not only have you listened to more Hanoi Rocks than anyone on this forum but probably listened to more Hanoi Rocks than any of the surviving members of Hanoi Rocks too.

Mutant from table 9
    I didn't set out to get hooked on a semi-obsure, probably terrible, definately sloppy sleaz/trash band.... It just kind of happened. I ams what I ams. I also guarantee I listen to way more ICP and acid rap than anyone else here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlpMxBX-jk

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    I also guarantee I listen to way more ICP and acid rap than anyone else here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyoT7iNBw0

My favorite from the downriver days...NSfW...

...Roll it up, take a hit and then pass it ...That's how we do it when we roll down Gratiot .

We used to drive down Gratiot and throw pennies at hookers.

You might have me by...

Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    Chameleons: Script of the Bridge

I think I am going 2,392 times...
    ...2 or 3 spins on that one. Maybe.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

You would have gotten better...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyoT7iNBw0

My favorite from the downriver days...NSfW...

...Roll it up, take a hit and then pass it ...That's how we do it when we roll down Gratiot .

We used to drive down Gratiot and throw pennies at hookers.
    ...girls had you thrown dollars. Just sayin'...
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    The original UK album.
    I thought for sure you would say Romantic Warrior.

If we're talking this forum then there's likely a bunch. Here are a few for starters:

Last edited by Stone; 05-18-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

42 Regular
    I dunno, Stone. I think I wore out my copy of the Connells' Boylan Heights back in the day. At least a couple hundred spins, I'd say.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    I dunno, Stone. I think I wore out my copy of the Connells' Boylan Heights back in the day. At least a couple hundred spins, I'd say.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information